Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Nobody forces you to go to the doctor. Treat yourself if you don't like the healthcare provided. Pretty simple stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Nobody forces you to go to the doctor. Treat yourself if you don't like the healthcare provided. Pretty simple stuff.
I should just ignore this post, as it brings nothing to the discussion. However, we are talking about someone having a skiing accident. This is not a "treat it yourself" injury.

That said, the link in the OP doesn't work, so I went looking for the article on google. I came across a number of message boards, which we can't link to on CD. However, one person pointed out that her sponsor, Monster Drinks, was irresponsible for putting on the exhibition w/o insuring the skiiers. I agree.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Especially for those that participate in high-risk activities (and thus would be in a high-risk insurance pool, as I am), the burden of the consequences of taking those risks should not be conveyed financially on those that do not participate in them.
And that has to be a good thing; I would not like to think I'm going to be held financially responsible every time some boxer's brains get turned to jelly after a few too many right hooks, or some race car driver dies in a ten-car crash. (On the other hand, this is the Era of Non-Accountability, so it's difficult to come right out and declare that individuals should be responsible for their own actions).

Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM

So now it's monster drinks fault? Did the drink folks force her onto the slope? I'm sure if she felt it was unsafe she wouldn't have gone. Also these loons doing loops and flips all over and don't have insurance to cover themselves shouldn't be blaming anybody but themselves and nobody else should be either.

Maybe the state should be to blame too for allowing the event to happen, blame the maker of the snowboard, the guy who built the slope up for her to flip off of, hell blame everybody but the person who CHOSE to do the flip floppin at her own risk. That about sums up the attitude of most Americans nowdays.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It can't. It's obscene. It stinks to high heaven.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps then, you should use/get your medical degree, buy the multi-million dollar state-of-the-art medical equipment and facility, staff your medical facility with people that cover all the areas of expertise needed, thwart fraud, pay all the insurance, handle all the billing, and donate your time for free.
Let me know where you will open it up. I will visit. (Though I want to see the accreditations of all your medical practitioners first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So now it's monster drinks fault? Did the drink folks force her onto the slope? I'm sure if she felt it was unsafe she wouldn't have gone. Also these loons doing loops and flips all over and don't have insurance to cover themselves shouldn't be blaming anybody but themselves and nobody else should be either.

Maybe the state should be to blame too for allowing the event to happen, blame the maker of the snowboard, the guy who built the slope up for her to flip off of, hell blame everybody but the person who CHOSE to do the flip floppin at her own risk. That about sums up the attitude of most Americans nowdays.
They sponsored the exhibition. Her regular skiing insurance did not cover her for an exhibition.

The rant is silly.

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
Link is dead but the OP states that the 300k collected is more than enough to cover her bill.

I'm guessing the med-evac helicopter (assuming one was used) alone probably cost 25k or more.

One would have to see a detailed bill but I don't know how you can label the cost as 1/2 mil and how it can't be defended?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They sponsored the exhibition. Her regular skiing insurance did not cover her for an exhibition.

The rant is silly.
Then she shouldn't have got on the ski's. Pretty simple stuff until folks try and assign blame everywhere. She got on and took the chance of getting hurt without any insurance. Her decision. HER responsibility.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Link is dead but the OP states that the 300k collected is more than enough to cover her bill.

I'm guessing the med-evac helicopter (assuming one was used) alone probably cost 25k or more.

One would have to see a detailed bill but I don't know how you can label the cost as 1/2 mil and how it can't be defended?
Agreed. The short stay has nothing to do with it. This wasn't a trip to the hospital by car to set a bone. I would guess Ms. Burke got a lot of intensive care in her "short" stay.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:49 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It can't. It's obscene. It stinks to high heaven.
Don't forget that the costs also include all the people that can't\don't pay. That's how our current healthcare system works....just like how you have to buy uninsured drivers insurance to pay for OTHER people.

So some guy that travels the country attending protests gets bonked on the head by a thrown bottle and requires a month of serious treatment and has no money.....that gets added on too.

Why don't you tell us what specific charges you disagree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies