Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

Healthcare is expensive in the U.S. because of profit and salaries. .
No, healthcare is expensive in the US because we consume huge quantities of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Those things are not relevant. You're health care delivery system in the US is not like that of Europe. The US (and UK) use the Hospital Model, while the rest of the world uses the Clinic Model.
Canada's system is also hospital-based. At least that's what I read in the American Journal of Public Health, generally considered a reliable source on these issues.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Originally Posted by orogenicman
You don't have a right to your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
You don't. You only have a right to seek shelter.
Erm, you should look up U.S. case law and the Constitution relevative to property rights.

Originally Posted by orogenicman
Yeah, because in America, it is much more important that the poor stay poor than it is to lift up all Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

The US has wasted $TRILLIONS leading people to the trough, but if they refuse to eat or drink from the trough, that is not my problem.
Using that logic, the U.S. has wasted trillions fighting wars, and yet we keep fighting wars. Thats not my problem. Disband the military.

See how stupid your "common sense" looks to others?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, and the aspect of mandatory insurance is actually a positive part of Obamacare for just such a reason. I know you are a staunch rep but it's something you should think about in terms of the plan having at least some decent features.
If that is the case then just mandate it to those who don't or didn't already have health care insurance or force those who were eligible for state or fed programs already in place to sign up. That made up a big chunk of the 40 mill or so who they continually cried about not having insurance. Many simply chose not to or were too stupid to sign up. No they want to revamp the entire thing. Obama even said you can keep what you currently have which in itself was a bald faced lie because the new system will force most insurers out of business.

Once you get the courts to set a precedent that the government can mandate you to purchase something where will it end? That is the question. They are right now trying to force catholic hospitals to perform abortions. I think they have opened a can of worms on that one.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If that is the case then just mandate it to those who don't or didn't already have health care insurance or force those who were eligible for state or fed programs already in place to sign up. That made up a big chunk of the 40 mill or so who they continually cried about not having insurance. Many simply chose not to or were too stupid to sign up. No they want to revamp the entire thing. Obama even said you can keep what you currently have which in itself was a bald faced lie because the new system will force most insurers out of business.

Once you get the courts to set a precedent that the government can mandate you to purchase something where will it end? That is the question. They are right now trying to force catholic hospitals to perform abortions. I think they have opened a can of worms on that one.
State governments already require you to purchase something - car insurance, and if you are in a flood plain, the Corp of Engineers (a functionary of the Federal government) requires you to buy flood insurance. If you were looking for a precedent, well, there ya go.

Oh, and the government is NOT requiring Catholic hospitals to perform abortions. They are requiring ALL hospitals to offer contraceptive/preventive medicine insurance coverage in for its female employees.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Using that logic, you don't have a right to a job. You don't have a right to your house. You don't have a right to any property. You just have a right to suck air (and not necessarily clean air, either), forget about water or food, or being healthy. Except, oh wait...

You do. And so does every other citizen in this country. I suspect that if our fathers who fought in the last world war had had your attitude, we'd all be singing the German equivalent of kumbaya right about now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:" you don't have a right to a job."

It is a right to seek a job, but it requires that you have the ability to do the job, and you likely can do it better than someone else. And I and any other employer can choose not to hire you (that is MY right).

Quote:"You don't have a right to your house."

You can buy one, if you can afford it, and it is for sale.

Quote:"You don't have a right to any property."

Quote:"forget about water or food, or being healthy."

Only if you work for it, and don't expect it to be handed to you.

Quote:"You do. And so does every other citizen in this country."

Everything you listed is a 'right'. Correct.
If you could show me where each of those rights will guarantee the results you seek, by entitlement, without requiring my rebuttals that state what is necessary to obtain them, are listed in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, I would be most obliged.

It is your right to have everything you listed above. But it is NOT your right to get them for free (except for the air).

Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
We do pay for it in Canada by paying Higher Taxes it is something we all agree on.

Everyone should have the right to A decent Education and acess to decent Healthcare no matter how Rich or how poor they are...

Everyone is treated the same here as there is no Class warfare here..It is First come First Serve...

The whole point of our Healthcare system is to prevent people from getting sick or ill in the first place...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"We do pay for it in Canada by paying Higher Taxes it is something we all agree on."

I see... a 'mob-rule' form of government.

Quote:"
Everyone should have the right to A decent Education and acess to decent Healthcare no matter how Rich or how poor they are... "

That's not stated in our Constitution or Bill of Rights..... They have a right to access education and healthcare, but it says nothing about others subsidizing it.

Quote:"Everyone is treated the same here as there is no Class warfare here..It is First come First Serve..."

Ahhh, 'First come, First Serve..." So if I can fill a school system with students, and yours didn't make it in, oh well then you are SOL.

Quote:"The whole point of our Healthcare system is to prevent people from getting sick or ill in the first place..."

Part of the reason it is expensive here in the US is because of the preventative approach. I like my doctors being hypochondriacs... yes, they run lots of tests on me, for conditions they may consider suspect. They don't benefit from it financially (unless they are in a group that buys the test equipment)... But I would rather be safe than sorry, and I value my life over money, so I am willing to pay (for me).

Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:" you don't have a right to a job."

It is a right to seek a job, but it requires that you have the ability to do the job, and you likely can do it better than someone else. And I and any other employer can choose not to hire you (that is MY right).

Quote:"You don't have a right to your house."

Quote:"You don't have a right to any property."

Quote:"forget about water or food, or being healthy."

Only if you work for it, and don't expect it to be handed to you.

Quote:"You do. And so does every other citizen in this country."

Everything you listed is a 'right'. Correct.
If you could show me where each of those rights will guarantee the results you seek, by entitlement, without requiring my rebuttals that state what is necessary to obtain them, are listed in the Constitution or Bill of Rights, I would be most obliged.

It is your right to have everything you listed above. But it is NOT your right to get them for free (except for the air).
I'm afraid you've missed my point. Perhaps you should back up and read the exchange.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
The US and UK have a very similar health profile yet the UK spends less public and private dollars than we do.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
Seriously.

"Well, your daughter is dead after being in our care for a week, here's the bill for 500 big."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies