Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then she shouldn't have got on the ski's. Pretty simple stuff until folks try and assign blame everywhere. She got on and took the chance of getting hurt without any insurance. Her decision. HER responsibility.
I know this is going to make your head explode but this happens ALL THE TIME. Young people go without insurance because they don't need it and if something happens they have little in terms of assets and will just never pay the 50k emergency room bill and so forth.

Who pays that 50k? Anyone that pays their medical bills and insurance premiums. They are the ones covering the *leakage*.

Which is why some sort of mandatory coverage is not a bad thing because it actually makes people contribute instead of sticking the rest of us with their bills. Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know this is going to make your head explode but this happens ALL THE TIME. Young people go without insurance because they don't need it and if something happens they have little in terms of assets and will just never pay the 50k emergency room bill and so forth.

Who pays that 50k? Anyone that pays their medical bills and insurance premiums. They are the ones covering the *leakage*.

Which is why some sort of mandatory coverage is not a bad thing because it actually makes people contribute instead of sticking the rest of us with their bills. Agree?
One of the forums I read also referred to Ms. Burke's estate, which I would imagine was sizeable. I still agree that Monster Drinks should have provided the insurance.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Like you've been trying to point out somebody has to pay for the irresponsible who aren't insured. They still get healthcare but when the bill comes just walk away and leave it to others. To them it's free like everything else. Nothing is free somebody has to pay for it. In the wonderful utopian world of flying kites and singing kum ba ya all will be free.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't like the health care here, you are totally free to go to any other country you want (There are more MRI machines within a 15 mile radius of me than there is in ALL of Canada).
Every wonder why the Saudi princes fly in to go stay in the Phillips House at MA General? They want the best health care there is.
As taught to me byseveral of my good friends that grew up in Germany, it is socialized medicine there, and he said there are two types of health care there; the free (socialized) medicine, and then the good health care, which means you better have money.

Nothing good is for free.

Quote:"but, essentially, that's how it works in the rest of the civilized world."

I see, so therefore that makes it the best. I am not going to be a lemming.
Lots of people buy Toyota Camry's (a good car), but since they do, according to your logic, it makes them the best. NOT. When it comes with dealing with your own life, nothing is more important than the best care. (I may be biased, since most of my family is MD PhD's, and all of us are in the medical community). But we can provide you substandard care for free, if you like, just sign this disclaimer...

The Saudi prince comes here because he is the top elite who will never know the burdon of wondering how to pay for something and doing without. Which means America defines the importance of life by how much money they have by the way you are defending the current system.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H

Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I asked first, about 2 years ago, and no Liberal on C-D has dared to answer the question, even though I've asked on more than half-a dozen different threads.

Unless and until you are willing to place a price on human life, you will never be able to fund an health care system in the US.

You want to spend $1 Million per person per life-time? Okay, then show me the money up front, because you ain't got $308 TRILLION and you never will have it.

You want to limit that to $500,000 per person per life-time? That would be $154 TRILLION. You ain't got the money for that either.

You want to spend $250,00 per person per life-time?

That would be $77 TRILLION, and sorry, you can't afford that either.

$125,000 per person per life-time is doable, if and only if you fire about 2 Million federal employees (and contractors who aren't federal employees but who work for the federal government and suck up tax dollars just the same), and eliminate a bunch of programs, like HUD.

Mircea
I am not a liberal but the answer is

If you are willing to spend up to 1,000,000 per person in no way means that you are going to spend the whole 1,000,000 per person. Some will be much less a few would probably be more than your top limit. There should be no top limit at all in my opinion as to what a life is worth.

Also the way it is being set up now under the new health care bill it is being funded by people paying for insurance.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
So every life is worth 100 trillion dollars? Do we send the rest of the world the bill and they us? How does that work?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then she shouldn't have got on the ski's. Pretty simple stuff until folks try and assign blame everywhere. She got on and took the chance of getting hurt without any insurance. Her decision. HER responsibility.
And her fans raised the money. Someone else pointed out that she probably has a sizeable estate, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
U.S. News - Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

By Kari Huus, msnbc.com
Since the death of Canadian skier Sarah Burke in January, fans and supporters from around the world have donated over $300,000 – more than enough to cover the massive U.S. medical bill generated by efforts to save her.
Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
As you can see, the $300K was more than enough to cover the bill. The bill was not $500K. Secondly, a short stay is misleading. She received intensive care. Do they not charge the patient if s/he dies in other countries?

Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,215,557 times
Quote:
As you can see, the $300K was more than enough to cover the bill. The bill was not $500K. Secondly, a short stay is misleading. She received intensive care. Do they not charge the patient if s/he dies in other countries?
Other countries (i.e., those that are not the U.S.) have universal coverage.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Other countries (i.e., those that are not the U.S.) have universal coverage.
Since she is Canadian why did not "universal" coverage pay the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies