Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
I haven't forgotten either. Brain cells are funny that way - they remember things. I guess I'm special too... since I haven't forgotten what she did. I lost a parent in that useless war, yet I am not whining like some of you. The people pretending to be so outraged really need to get some perspective.
My perspective is two years of my life over there. Whining? maybe you should go back to school and learn the definition of the word... I didn't complain or protest her, if you heard high pitched sounds coming from C-D I suggest you have your system or your hearing checked out.

I said she could rot in hell as far as I was concerned, big difference.

whine (hwn, wn)v. whined, whin·ing, whines
v.intr.
To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch:

Last edited by plwhit; 01-31-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
To the posters here that say she should be forgiven because of her youth, when she went there she was 34.

Now I don't know what planet these posters are from but here on the planet Earth no matter what country one comes from 34 is an adult and held accountable for their actions.

Quote:
Jane Fonda was born on December 21, 1937. She was 34 years old when she made her infamous trip to North Vietnam and was in her 30's when she participated in anti-war demonstrations and rallies. During this same time period a large number of young American soldiers, who had not yet reached their 21st birthday, were fighting the war in Vietnam and were held accountable for all of their actions. These same young soldiers were, upon their return to the United States, still not of legal age to vote or buy alcoholic beverages. Jane Fonda was an adult when she made these conscious decisions and actions, and as such, she is responsible and should be held accountable.

Jane Fonda A.K.A. Hanoi Jane

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
I wonder if the "rot in hell" club is aware that Fonda has apologized at various times throughout the years? Even directly to Vietnam vets. On national TV too.

Does that mean I excuse her for her actions? Not at all, but at least she's tried to make amends.

Yes, life is too short.

Jane has not apologized for her stand on the war and likely won't. She holds firm to her convictions, which is an admirable trait in anyone.

She has, however, apologized for the hurt she caused others and for that infamous photo.

That's good enough for me. And, yes, I was there too, up to my eyeballs in Vietnam, but I don't hate her or the ant-war protestors either. I wasn't too fond of them at the time, but it turned out they were right all along.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
My brothers were drafted, I was too young at the time. They hate her, that is enough for me.

Snopes is propaganda.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,312 times
You can oppose the Vietnam War or any other war without giving aid and comfort to the enemy. Opposing a war is your right as a citizen. Treason is just treason.

May she rot.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Where were you when Kennedy escalated that war so much by sending in more troops? I guess you weren't around back then since it is over 50 years ago.
There were no US combat troops until 65, Nam was McNamara and Johnson's war.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:03 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The whole "Hanoi Jane" thing has been long forgotten by people with half a brain and a life.
But you don't mind not forgetting anything about slavery.

Hey the 1800's are over, forget about it.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
In retrospect Kennedy and Johnson probably shouldn't have gotten us into that mess, but the military, brass and grunts alike, did the honorable thing to try to win the war. What H. Jane did was, at the very least, disrespectful to the men in uniform.

No respectable U.S. President would honor the skank.

(Where's the puke icon?)
Actually, Truman set the stage for us to get into Viet Nam. Post WW2, France, who couldn't even keep their own country, asked Truman to help them hold onto their colony, Viet Nam. Instead of siding with Ho Chi Minh in their desire for freedom, Truman sided with France. Ho had no choice but to seek help where he could find it. Truman basically forced North Vietnam to get help from Communist countries at that point.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do the pictures of Fonda sitting with that gun crew lie? Who was the woman in those pictures? Oh well, you really see her as a hero even though she sidled up to Jon Carry in 1971 or 2 calling the American soldiers murderers and baby killers. She was as low back then as Carry was.
Who is Carry? Do you mean John Carey?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,178,741 times
What Jane Fonda did was wrong and insulting but she didn't get anyone killed. If you want to get angry, save it for people like McNamara, 50,000 soldiers were killed because of stupid mistakes and policy decsions by him and others.

"High government leaders aren't generally known for flaunting their errors. But toward the end of his life, former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara issued a string of candid mea culpas for misjudgments about Vietnam that were made during his 1961-68 tenure at the Pentagon, especially his delay in acting on growing doubts that the war could be won. "I'm very sorry that in the process of accomplishing things, I've made errors," McNamara said in Fog of War, an Oscar"

Read more: Robert McNamara - Top 10 Apologies - TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies