Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 03:43 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Quite a few Planned Parenthoods don't even perform abortions.
That is true. The Planned Parenthood in my area refers women elsewhere if they want an abortion, they do not perform the procedure themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Dr. Sahelian is a well known quack. He sells nutritional supplements online. I really gagged at his comments about older women.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:32 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Guess it like leading sheep to slaughter, most of you don't even realize the chemicals they inject or put in your body and then scream cancer when you were willing to lay their and take it.

Here's some facts on your so called mammograms that should save your lives................

The risk of radiation is apparently higher among younger women. The NCI released evidence that, among women under 35, mammography could cause 75 cases of breast cancer for every 15 it identifies. Another Canadian study found a 52 percent increase in breast cancer mortality in young women given annual mammograms. Dr. Samuel Epstein also claims that pregnant women exposed to radiation could endanger their fetus. He advises against mammography during pregnancy because "the future risks of leukemia to your unborn child, not to mention birth defects, are just not worth it." Similarly, studies reveal that children exposed to radiation are more likely to develop breast cancer as adults.
Learn more: Mammograms cause breast cancer (and other cancer facts you probably never knew)

Mammography benefit and harm by Ray Sahelian, M.D.
Mammograms not recommended for women under 40
A report in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute finds mammograms detect few cancers in women under the age of 40 but cause expense and anxiety because women frequently get "false positives" that require follow-up to rule out cancer. Radiologist Bonnie Yankaskas of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill examined the records of women aged 18 to 39 when they got their first mammograms starting in 1995, following them for a year to see what happened. There were no tumors among the women under 25. For women aged 35 to 39, 12 per 1,000 got called back for further checks after the mammogram produced a suspicious-looking lesion. Very few actually had a tumor. "In a theoretical population of 10,000 women aged 35 to 39 years, 1,266 women who are screened will receive further workup, with 16 cancers detected and 1,250 women receiving a false-positive result," according to Dr. Bonnie Yankaskas. "Harms need to be considered, including radiation exposure because such exposure is more harmful in young women, the anxiety associated with false-positive findings on the initial examination, and costs associated with additional imaging." About 30 percent of U.S. women aged 30 to 40 have had a mammogram. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2010.

Women ages 71 and over
Women over 71 or 75 can stop being screened, because no studies have shown that it helps them. If they do develop breast cancer, it is likely to be a slow-growing type that will not kill them or they are likely to die from heart disease or other causes and avoid a diagnosis of cancer along with radiation and chemotherapy. Finding tumors in older people turns them into cancer patients and erodes their peace of mind forever. The psychological cost of becoming a cancer patient is underrated.
Women with dementia
Some elderly women with severe cognitive impairment are getting mammography breast cancer screening even though they are unlikely to ever benefit from it. American Journal of Public Health, 2010.
"Your so called mammograms"? Are you disputing that that is the actual name? Did one of your quack sources raise this issue?

Leaving that specific moment of idiocy aside, if a woman is at average risk for breast cancer she won't even have her first mammogram until age 40, the recommended age of the American Cancer Society. The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recommends that a woman with average risk have her first mammogram at age 50.

Women who are under the age of 40 and having mammograms are already in a high risk group, so how one would separate out the already high genetic risk or presentation of possible symptoms that necessitated a mammogram in the first place from the radiation exposure isn't at all clear.

And what average woman would be getting a mammogram during a pregnancy.

Seriously, are you really a woman?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I always find it interesting that people who are not pro-choice have so many friends who use abortion as birth control.

I am pro-choice and have never met anyone who has had multiple abortions, and I only know 2 people who have had even one.
I've known 4, but I'm 53 and have been around awhile. Although one of those was done before I was born on a family friend. Good Catholic lady.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Karen Handel indicated in her run for governor that she wanted to defund PPH, how did they put her in a position of responsibility.

"During her bid for governor of Georgia, Handel ran on a platform of defunding Planned Parenthood. Several former Komen employees have said that Handel was a driving force behind the decision to defund Planned Parenthood.

Questions about the issue of our involvement with Planned Parenthood significantly ramped up at the time Komen decided to hire Karen,†said John Hammerly, a former senior communications adviser at Komen, who
left the Foundation in August 2011."
Karen Handel at center of Komen controversy | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 PM

994 posts, read 724,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's a sad day when your gender continues to use women and children as human shields to justify your own sickness in social policy. There is no low too low, no contradiction too outrageous, no religion you won't blaspheme, no charitable good worthy of being spared, and no nation you won't disgrace.

I sentence you to a lifetime of solving domestic violence. It's a day late and a dollar short for Josh Powells kids. And for Sharon Tates unborn. And as you commence to nail all of womankind to a cross via policy, the real criminal robbing this nation blind gets by with impunity.
"Your gender"? Well, hey, if that's the way you feel about it then you should be happy about the Josh Powell situation. He killed his wife, his kids, and himself. But his kids were both boys. So that's 3 dead males for only 1 dead female. Isn't that great? Bonus for you!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
"Your gender"? Well, hey, if that's the way you feel about it then you should be happy about the Josh Powell situation. He killed his wife, his kids, and himself. But his kids were both boys. So that's 3 dead males for only 1 dead female. Isn't that great? Bonus for you!
Stupid post of the day.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's a sad day when your gender continues to use women and children as human shields to justify your own sickness in social policy. There is no low too low, no contradiction too outrageous, no religion you won't blaspheme, no charitable good worthy of being spared, and no nation you won't disgrace.

I sentence you to a lifetime of solving domestic violence. It's a day late and a dollar short for Josh Powells kids. And for Sharon Tates unborn. And as you commence to nail all of womankind to a cross via policy, the real criminal robbing this nation blind gets by with impunity.
Ignorant hyperbole in the service of a mind sick with hatred. Nothing more.

I sentence you to a lifetime of being you.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Dr. Sahelian is a well known quack. He sells nutritional supplements online. I really gagged at his comments about older women.
Sure you got your info from.....Can You Trust Rip Off Report.com? Read The Truth...

Notice their a fraud!!

People do wierd things and some in the medical field are all to glad to take their money!!

Oh my gosh, supplements online has to be the worst someone can do. At least it's not chemicals that cause cancer or some defect that has no cure. What's the difference online or in a store.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Sure you got your info from.....Can You Trust Rip Off Report.com? Read The Truth...

Notice their a fraud!!

People do wierd things and some in the medical field are all to glad to take their money!!

Oh my gosh, supplements online has to be the worst someone can do. At least it's not chemicals that cause cancer or some defect that has no cure. What's the difference online or in a store.
You know, I don't usually say anything about misspellings, typos, etc, but you really need to go back to English class and learn about punctuation, contractions vs the possessive.

I don't know a damn thing about your link, and it didn't open properly anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies