Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So two people (entertainers no less) say insensitive things about gays and that constitutes that the black community is homophobic?

Whatever...Anyway, blame the slavemasters for forcing Christianity on us. Some now have a very strong belief system that has explicit views on homosexuality.
The black community has always been oddly homophobic compared to the rest. I'm guessing it's some combination of evangelicalism among blacks, socio-economic reasons, and anti-gay sentiment as a defense mechanism against a culture reinforced with the belief that getting married and having a family is paramount.

And people bringing Christianity to Africa and being rather oppressive is the main reason the African continent is so anti-gay (at least in the Christian parts). It all boils down to extremist religious views.

You'll notice, hardly any of the population that isn't conservatively religious has a problem with gay people. Atheists, agnostics, liberals, most Jews, Buddhists, etc. really don't have an issue with gays. It's almost exclusively that ultra conservative side of Christianity and Islam that hate gays with a passion because of some flawed interpretation of a 4000 year old book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,771,737 times
I should have known the stupid would seep into this thread and ruin it.

Proof to back what I said and why I said it...

Understanding Black Attitudes Toward Homosexuality | The Defenders Online | A Civil Rights Blog (http://www.thedefendersonline.com/2010/10/08/understanding-black-attitudes-toward-homosexuality/ - broken link)

Quote:
“Blacks are much more likely to think that homosexuality is morally wrong (64%) than whites (48%) or Hispanics (43%),” according to a Pew poll last year on civil unions and gay marriage.
Again, that should be placed within the larger context of religion.
“Overall, two-thirds of those who attend services at least weekly say homosexual behavior is morally wrong, compared with 43% of those who attend services monthly or yearly and 32% of those who seldom or never attend,” the report stated.
A survey released Wednesday that combines two recent polls by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press and the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life shows that 43 percent of the public favor same-sex marriage and 48 percent oppose it. The report, Gay Marriage Gains More Acceptance, represents the first time in the 15 years Pew has been polling that fewer than half of Americans oppose same-sex marriage.
“Blacks continue to oppose same-sex marriage by a wide margin,” the new report states. “In 2010, just 30% of non-Hispanic blacks favor gay marriage while 59% are opposed. From 2008 to 2000, 28% of blacks favored same-sex marriage and 62% were opposed.”
The number of African Americans in favor of allowing gays to serve openly in the military has dropped from 57 percent in 1994 to 48 percent in 2010. Over the same period, white support increased from 51 percent to 63 percent.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,553,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I should have known the stupid would seep into this thread and ruin it.

Proof to back what I said and why I said it...

Understanding Black Attitudes Toward Homosexuality | The Defenders Online | A Civil Rights Blog (http://www.thedefendersonline.com/2010/10/08/understanding-black-attitudes-toward-homosexuality/ - broken link)

Ruin the thread? You start a thread generalizing an entire race. If you can't take a response to a discussion YOU started, maybe you should stick with the kiddie section. Name calling really shows your age.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,729,462 times
I don't think blacks are that much more anti-gay than other groups. In a recent Pew Poll, 46% of whites said that same-sex marriage should be legal; 36% of blacks agreed. That's a significant difference, but not huge, in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,467,370 times
Outside of the liberal coasts, actually even in these places homosexuality and gay marriage aren't as popular or enlightened as the MSM and liberals like to think.

For example if gay marriage was up for angora in NYC I'd bet it would be soundly rejected.

So IMHO Blacks aren't any more homophobic than Whites, Hispanics or Asians. I remember watching a CNN report about gay marriage and they went to South Korea and asked some random people on the street for their opinion. Most just laughed or shook their head. Some thought the reporter was joking.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,771,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Ruin the thread? You start a thread generalizing an entire race. If you can't take a response to a discussion YOU started, maybe you should stick with the kiddie section. Name calling really shows your age.
For the record, I'm black and I support same-sex marriage.

I don't believe in restricting the liberties of individuals granted to them by the US Constitution because I dislike who they mate with.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,729,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Outside of the liberal coasts, actually even in these places homosexuality and gay marriage aren't as popular or enlightened as the MSM and liberals like to think.
The numbers are what they are - regardless of right-wing conspiracy theories.

Quote:
So IMHO Blacks aren't any more homophobic than Whites, Hispanics or Asians.
There are differences between various groups. You can pretend they don't exist, but polls taken over DECADES have shown this to be true. You'd have to be a truly nutty conspiracy theorist to believe that every poll taken over the last 40 years has been controlled by liberals or gay activists.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,467,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The black community has always been oddly homophobic compared to the rest. I'm guessing it's some combination of evangelicalism among blacks, socio-economic reasons, and anti-gay sentiment as a defense mechanism against a culture reinforced with the belief that getting married and having a family is paramount.

And people bringing Christianity to Africa and being rather oppressive is the main reason the African continent is so anti-gay (at least in the Christian parts). It all boils down to extremist religious views.

You'll notice, hardly any of the population that isn't conservatively religious has a problem with gay people. Atheists, agnostics, liberals, most Jews, Buddhists, etc. really don't have an issue with gays. It's almost exclusively that ultra conservative side of Christianity and Islam that hate gays with a passion because of some flawed interpretation of a 4000 year old book.
It's not odds if one thinks about it. Blacks in America had to survive a brutal system that reduced them to the level of livestock in the eyes of the law. Their children could be sold, their children murdered their own lives could be taken without any real punishment visited upon the murderer.

So after slavery was abolished marriages and family became very important. Fertility rates among black women shot up. Long lasted marriages form. Homosexuality is the antithesis of the community's goal of regeneration.

From the black community perspective after having their basic rights as human to reproduce with the mates of their choice restored it would seem odd for a person to engage in behavior that rejects family formation and reproduction.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,239,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
At least they're not as anti-gay as white Republicans.
Not so. California's widely publicized proposition 8 banning same sex marriage in the 2010 election confirms this. Broken down by demographics, a higher percentage of Blacks voted yes on prop 8 than did any other group, including non Hispanic white Republicans.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,807,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not odds if one thinks about it. Blacks in America had to survive a brutal system that reduced them to the level of livestock in the eyes of the law. Their children could be sold, their children murdered their own lives could be taken without any real punishment visited upon the murderer.

So after slavery was abolished marriages and family became very important. Fertility rates among black women shot up. Long lasted marriages form. Homosexuality is the antithesis of the community's goal of regeneration.

From the black community perspective after having their basic rights as human to reproduce with the mates of their choice restored it would seem odd for a person to engage in behavior that rejects family formation and reproduction.

Just my opinion.
You do realize Blacks were treated like that because of the Bible and religious views right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies