Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanist34 View Post
Try riding a bike, or taking transit.
I know a woman who has driven about 150 miles each day to and from work for over 25 years. She has a good job as a nurse in a hospital but how long can she keep up with $4 or $5 dollar gas. She is over 50 and I hardly think that riding a bike in our kind of weather would work for her.

I forgot to way that there is no rapid transit in western Kansas so that woman is screwed. Also, my sons drive 40 miles to get to work and although one of them makes pretty good money he can't afford to buy a car that won't go 40 miles on one charge of electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I saw gas for $4.99 today.
Let me help you feel bad. I can buy it in my tiny town for anywhere from $3.42 to $3.89. Guess where I buy all my gas. My sons buy theirs at the $3.55 station.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,318,714 times
Just get use to high gas prices. As SE Asia economy picks up so does the supply and demand, so fuel will be going up as well. If the economy picks up may items are made of oil and the barrels of oil will go up. I for see them in the low $200 a barrel soon.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I know a woman who has driven about 150 miles each day to and from work for over 25 years. She has a good job as a nurse in a hospital but how long can she keep up with $4 or $5 dollar gas. She is over 50 and I hardly think that riding a bike in our kind of weather would work for her..
The answer to this should be quite obvious. She needs to move closer to the hospital, and she needed to do that 25 years ago IMO.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Of course not, but Obama and his boys are doing nothing to hold the price down since they have wanted us to pay what they pay in Europe since he knew he could have an effect on the prices.

The people in control of things like this don't live where same people drive around 150 miles a day to get to work and back home. I think that when we see so much subsidy money going to green energy especially the people who will buy "electric" cars we have to detect something we should know is causing the price of gasoline to rise so fast.
Why do you dislike the free market system?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why do you dislike the free market system?
I would like to see price controls put on beer, and scotch, Dewars is up to around $ 30 a Liter, decimating the economy.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,433 times
Quote:
I know a woman who has driven about 150 miles each day to and from work for over 25 years. She has a good job as a nurse in a hospital but how long can she keep up with $4 or $5 dollar gas. She is over 50 and I hardly think that riding a bike in our kind of weather would work for her.

I forgot to way that there is no rapid transit in western Kansas so that woman is screwed. Also, my sons drive 40 miles to get to work and although one of them makes pretty good money he can't afford to buy a car that won't go 40 miles on one charge of electricity.
I can't put into words how stupid driving 300 miles a day is. She'd be long retired if she lived somewhere sensible and had invested all of that money. Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

By the way, your son can do this thing called moving where you live close to where you work and don't waste so much of your life sitting in a car.

Quote:
The saddest part of all this price thing is that those states with the highest taxes are also much higher in price today. 19 of our states have the highest prices and all but one or two of them did two things in the past with taxes being one. The other one is voted for Obama. Will they do that again?
Washington is one of them and thankfully so. It lets the state pay for the cost of roads by people who most use them. It makes much more sense to tax energy than income. People drive less here and have more time to spend with friends and family instead of being a loser stuck in a car all day long.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
According the abc & nbc news its the foul speculators that are driving up oil prices. Those scumbags did the same thing back in 2008.
How many times does this have to be explained to you?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:31 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How many times does this have to be explained to you?
Im just repeating what was said on tv. I know their is other factors involved. Gas just does not have to be as high as it is esp since its not summer. If i didnt need a car for work i would surely do without. It does pay to shop around but where i live its always higher then nearby redlands & san bernardino.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,987,291 times
Prediction Alert!

Regular Unleaded $6 by June 2012.... on the West Coast of the USA.

If they are at $5 now.

This prediction is conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies