Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Do you know what Canadian politics are like? The only "conservative" thing Harper has done was for his party to scrap the Long Gun Registry. The "conservative" provincial government in Alberta (the most conservative province in Canada) thinks that it should regulate what private religious schools and home schools teaches when it comes to morality and family values. Such an act by a state here violates the 1st Amendment, which does not exist in Canada. Harper is like every president in the US from the 20th century onwards to the president day. Centrist or center-left. Harper's American counterpart is Mittens the RINO

Ok ok calm down. LOL it was mostly a facetious comment to begin with.

Sheesh bubba it's Canada not Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok ok calm down. LOL it was mostly a facetious comment to begin with.

Sheesh bubba it's Canada not Iran.
Lol, alright anyway, back on topic. I'm not even sure why Canada needs to spend money on the military anyway. There is no foreign threat to Canada. These days, countries need to have small, mobile militaries, not Cold War era ones with tanks, subs, aircraft carriers, and stealth bombers

Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Lol, alright anyway, back on topic. I'm not even sure why Canada needs to spend money on the military anyway. There is no foreign threat to Canada. These days, countries need to have small, mobile militaries, not Cold War era ones with tanks, subs, aircraft carriers, and stealth bombers
Exactly they have the US if the SHTF.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Exactly they have the US if the SHTF.
Exactly. Though I am of the opinion that we need to withdraw from NATO and the UN and have a strong National Guard and Coast Guard

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
What is Canada going to do with submarines? Sink the Minnesotan's fishing boats that take one Walleye too many?

I think Canada should let the big boys take care of their security and have another beer. Like they've done for the last 50 years.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Though I am of the opinion that we need to withdraw from NATO and the UN and have a strong National Guard and Coast Guard
I am good with that.

We can start our our multinational military organization.

PADLTGTFO

Short for

Pan America don't like it Get the **** out.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As an American with experience with used British sports cars I wondered why Canada would buy submarines with electrics by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. I actually wondered why they would buy submarines at all. The most economical thing might be to just scrap these money eaters and have the shipyards building something else like bigger and better ice breakers, rescue and oil spill control ships. I understand why Canada would want to retain the infrastructure to build their own medium size ships but never understood submarines.

Now if they wanted to develop the technology required for drilling, developing, servicing and pumping oil underwater in the Arctic than knowledge of how not to build a submarine could be very useful.

If Canada is making all the "nanny state" errors claimed by our RWA's why is their currency gained so much in value the cross Canada trip we took to Alaska 45 years ago is now way too expensive? Even a visit to Newfoundland is out of our price range. It seems to me that "nanny states" is a better deal for Canadians than the crony capitalism insured by the US treasury is for Americans.
Unlike the US....Canada hasn't spent nearly so much on military since it has the US to cover them quite nicely. It also hasn't got a rampant illegal alien issue straining social safety nets.

What would our deficit and currency exchange look like if we had 1/4 our defense budget the last 30 years, stayed out of Iraq etc?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
We have obligations to NORAD and NATO and We need to be able to Operate with the U.S. and that iks why we are buying the F-35 because the upgrded F/A-18 Super Hornet, F-15E and block 60 F-16 ot 4.5 Gen do not come close to the the huge leap in avionics and technology like the 5th gen fighters.

So there are 3 5th gen fighters one is Russian Sukhoi Pak-FA so it does not work when since we get sent by NORAD to intercept a Russians planes all the time so we would never be seen operating those.

That leaves 2 5th gen figthers the F-22A which already is out of production and so that option is out and that just leaves the F-35 JSF II which is what the US and NATO will be using to replace their manned fighter planes.

I mean if we cannot even send a modren fighter to go on NATO mission because it would be unable to do anything because Russian and China sell planes and SAM's to tons of ****ires that would be able to shoot down the pland and they would see the coming before we could see them.

I mean the Russian Mig-27K and SU-35 are getting pretty close being on par with the F/A-18 super Hornet and F-15E

Wings of RUSSIA Mig 29K NAVY FIGHTER
here is what they are selling to anyone that wants to buy it and in 7-8 years of them producing them and advancing them then a current a F/A-18 Super Hornet will and is a stop Gap plane and we would need to buy F-35's anyways.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unlike the US....Canada hasn't spent nearly so much on military since it has the US to cover them quite nicely. It also hasn't got a rampant illegal alien issue straining social safety nets.

What would our deficit and currency exchange look like if we had 1/4 our defense budget the last 30 years, stayed out of Iraq etc?
We have the second largest country in the world that we have to patrol and defend I am not talking about getting Ohio class (SSBN) But Rather Fast Attack Subs (SSN) with Conventional Tomahawk cruise missiles... So they only thing that is Nulcear is the Reactors to power the Sub.

Plus There have nevertheless been suggestions for a reactor as an auxiliary power supply, which does fall into the normal definition of AIP. For example, there has been a proposal for purchasing Air-independent propulsion (AIP) Subs but instead of diesel generators it would use a small 200 kilowatt reactor for auxiliary power AKA "The Nuclear Battery" to improve the under-ice capability of possible future Canadian submarine procurements.

I mean you are right I think we need to spend the money as we let you carry the burden to long and it is time to step up and help and so should other NATO allies.

Plus the ones that that avoid sending military assets to take on a frontline Combat Role make having a 28 memebers sem that really NATO has 7-8 Meembers that do all the dirty work and send all the assets and take all the losses.

Anyways

I wonder if Canada and the US could do a Joint development project not unlike like the F-35 JSF 2 was share the costs to design and build an advanced AIP sub with a Nuclear Reactor and maybe even get Australia, the UK, Japan and France in on it too.

If we share the cost split equally 6 ways and mass produce a higher number of them but only the 6 very close allied countries in on the project that would be allowed to purchase them that way it could be alot more adavaced the it were to be sold for export to other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies