Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Ive been there few weeks ago and oh boy ! it was like i went to another planet. The people are so different, so backwards, racists and a lot of republicans (i knew they were republicans because the bumper stickers on their cars).
Funny story. I went to a restaurant to eat with a friend of mine and i asked the server if they had anything vegan on the menu, she looked at me and said "im sorry, but i dont know what vegan is". I was like "reaaaaallyy" ??? and then i just had a salad.
Other thing ive realized is that at the moment you meet someone they ask you "what religion are you" or "do you believe in God" ? i was like, who cares ?
The Mid West is like another world, i was in shocked.
You seem to have come to a quaick conclsuion for just passig thru. Wre the neighbors seporated lie they are in NE. Was their a hispnaic section like it the wset with gated ommunities.Where there alot of street people like seen in so mnay enlighten areas that are ignore. Ddi you see people ignorig anther person being assaults?At elst they talked to you instead of not makig eye contract and if they notice you doing so;said what the F.. . you lokig at ass...Go get a frap and coll down you prejudice. PS;I am not fro teh medwest.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM

434 posts, read 685,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And the OP wonders why they dont like Califoreigners in MO.
Yeah you did say that. But let's not split hairs or anything!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,863,528 times
If this is true about the MID WEST; The South must be secular progressives by your description.

Quote:
Ive been there few weeks ago and oh boy ! it was like i went to another planet. The people are so different, so backwards, racists and a lot of republicans (i knew they were republicans because the bumper stickers on their cars).
Funny story. I went to a restaurant to eat with a friend of mine and i asked the server if they had anything vegan on the menu, she looked at me and said "im sorry, but i dont know what vegan is". I was like "reaaaaallyy" ??? and then i just had a salad.
Other thing ive realized is that at the moment you meet someone they ask you "what religion are you" or "do you believe in God" ? i was like, who cares ?

Old 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You seem to have come to a quaick conclsuion for just passig thru. Wre the neighbors seporated lie they are in NE. Was their a hispnaic section like it the wset with gated ommunities.Where there alot of street people like seen in so mnay enlighten areas that are ignore. Ddi you see people ignorig anther person being assaults?At elst they talked to you instead of not makig eye contract and if they notice you doing so;said what the F.. . you lokig at ass...Go get a frap and coll down you prejudice. PS;I am not fro teh medwest.

No doubt. They can generally spell a lot better. Oh wait, that goes for just about anybody!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,059,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And the OP wonders why they dont like Califoreigners in MO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
You think all Californians are like the OP, so no Californian is going to be liked in MO? You sound about as naive as the OP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
Yeah you did say that. But let's not split hairs or anything!
Lets review here.
I never said all Californians are like the OP.
There is a specific type they dont care for, and that is what I named.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,532,451 times
Quote:
Aw shut up. The Midwesterners are a level headed bunch.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,670,404 times
I'm originally from LA, and lived in the Midwest a bit. Detroit mostly but spent a year in Indiana. Not much to say, never was I asked what church I go to or any that. Rural midwest is something else entirely, especially as you get out to Kansas, Nebraska. It's hard to fit in in those places and I was never made felt welcome there. Cities like LA, even Detroit, people don't judge as much and mind their business more.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,016,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Cities like LA, even Detroit, people don't judge as much and mind their business more.
I never found that to be the case. There are scores of judgmental people in LA and the nanny state laws those individuals clamor for and have managed to get passed are anything but supportive of your claim that those individuals mind their own business.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I'm originally from LA, and lived in the Midwest a bit. Detroit mostly but spent a year in Indiana. Not much to say, never was I asked what church I go to or any that. Rural midwest is something else entirely, especially as you get out to Kansas, Nebraska. It's hard to fit in in those places and I was never made felt welcome there. Cities like LA, even Detroit, people don't judge as much and mind their business more.
I agree with you. In the cities where I have lived people are more accepting of others. I imagine it is because it is more impersonal in cities, so people aren't aware of everyone's business. In the two small towns (populations about 5,000-6,000) I have lived in, the locals do not accept outsiders easily.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,670,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I never found that to be the case. There are scores of judgmental people in LA and the nanny state laws those individuals clamor for and have managed to get passed are anything but supportive of your claim that those individuals mind their own business.
I'm talking everyday kinda stuff like going to a store, getting a job etc I'm gonna keep this brief but I made a lot of mistakes as a kid, was in and out of the system for a while and I was marked on my face and hands (I've got them scrubbed off in hopes of turning my luck right). Anyways, I could function almost like a normal man in LA or Detroit. I could enter a shop or burger place before being profiled right out of the door. I remember just chilling on some street in Indiana, in MY CAR, waiting for my girl and someone called the cops in that brief 5 - 10 minute period to report a 'suspicious male.' The cop basically told me, in nice roundabout terms that people like me aren't wanted in these family neighborhoods. Well man **** that, I can relax like a man in those cities. That past, that kid is long dead. I just want to live in peace like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies