Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does freedom of speech protect slander and libel?
No, slander and libel are not protected 23 88.46%
Yes, slander and libel are protected 1 3.85%
They are not protected but should be 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yes, it certainly offends me. Limbaugh, who is allegedly an adult male, chose to malign a young woman who had initially been denied her right to testify in front of a Congressional panel regarding the issue of women's health care. The panel was comprised of five MEN. That men still believe that it's their right to interfere with issues that pertain only to a woman and her physician is extremely insulting. That they would also try to turn it into a religious issue is positively medieval. Rush called this young woman a sl*t, called her a prostitute, and suggested that she tape any sexual acts that she might engage in for his viewing pleasure. As a woman, a wife and a mother, this issue has everything to do with me. The men who have chosen to defend Limbaugh simply illustrates the perverse nature of far too many males, who are clearly unable to see women as human beings who are every bit as deserving of respect and equality as men.
My outrage is quite real and certainly justified. The backlash against Limbaugh should be an indication that millions of women are offended,
and with good reason.
What a load of hogwash. If you do not want men involved in making decisions for women, stop asking men to pay for your decisions. As long as women demand taxpayers pay for the decisions women make, then those men who represent us taxpayers will have a say in those decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
No...and No.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Does freedom of speech give you the right to spread unsubstantiated information claims against others?

Libel lawyer: Fluke ‘definitely’ has reason to sue Limbaugh

I may be mistaken, but I think that libel and slander are civil laws and not criminal. Penalties if convicted are normally monetary in nature.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:48 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As long as women demand taxpayers pay for the decisions women make, then those men who represent us taxpayers will have a say in those decisions.
Could someone explain to me what taxpayers are paying by requiring the private companies who provide healthcare coverage be required to have their private insurers provide coverage for birth control?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Could someone explain to me what taxpayers are paying by requiring the private companies who provide healthcare coverage be required to have their private insurers provide coverage for birth control?
Obviously you missed the Dictator-In-Chief's directive. He ordered the insurance companies to provide FREE contraception coverage, which means that the taxpayer is footing the bill. Or are you one of those people that cannot grasp that nothing is free?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
It is only slander if it is false. Everything Limbaugh said was true, therefore, it cannot be slander. A prostitute is someone who gets paid for sex. Just because the taxpayers are doing the paying instead of a "John" does not make it any less prostitution. Anyone who spends $3,000 on contraception is certainly someone who is sexually promiscuous, or someone who has "loose sexual morals." Therefore, what was said is both true and supported by her own statements before Congress.
This link is was to complex for me to pull out three sentences, you'll have to read it yourself.

Libel and Slander legal definition of Libel and Slander. Libel and Slander synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

In addition, it is NOT true that Ms. Fluke said she wanted to be paid for having sex, thus rendering herself a prostitute or a s*l*u*t. Furthermore, he made a crude statement about wanting her to make videos of herself having sex.

Read the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It was funny. It was typical Rush humor. Maher has said much worse things about conservative women and women in general and he isn't kidding.

It's weird how people don't get dark humor and hyperbole anymore. Ever watch a comedy roast? Some of what they skewer is true but it's still funny.

Fluke should have responded to Rush with a good comeback, she's had plenty of time to think of some. It would make her look more mature and she might even hurt his ego if she could show that kind of strength. But she is not a strong person based on her words and behavior.
You too should read the link. The excuse, "it was a joke" only goes so far.

I think Fluke is doing the right thing by keeping quiet on this.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Obviously you missed the Dictator-In-Chief's directive. He ordered the insurance companies to provide FREE contraception coverage, which means that the taxpayer is footing the bill. Or are you one of those people that cannot grasp that nothing is free?
Tax payers pay the premium for insurance? Why am I getting charged hundreds of dollars a month in premiums?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Roc, you seem to know as much about women as Rush does. Word of advice -- vet anything you say over the airwaves through a lawyer first.

Still didn't answer my question.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Still didn't answer my question.
You might get answers if your questions make sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
So Rush, or any other individual, calling this woman a derogatory name offends YOU?

This has nothing to do with YOU.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This link is was to complex for me to pull out three sentences, you'll have to read it yourself.

Libel and Slander legal definition of Libel and Slander. Libel and Slander synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

In addition, it is NOT true that Ms. Fluke said she wanted to be paid for having sex, thus rendering herself a prostitute or a s*l*u*t. Furthermore, he made a crude statement about wanting her to make videos of herself having sex.

Read the link.
I am well aware of the definition of libel and slander, and as I said, it is not defamation if it is true. She went before Congress specifically to make a plea for taxpayers to pay for her sexually promiscuous behavior while she attended law school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You too should read the link. The excuse, "it was a joke" only goes so far.

I think Fluke is doing the right thing by keeping quiet on this.
I never said "it was a joke," I said Limbaugh's statement was true and factual, supported by her own public testimony before Congress. Therefore, it cannot be construed as defamation.

She has hardly "kept quiet," but that is irrelevant to the topic of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies