Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does freedom of speech protect slander and libel?
No, slander and libel are not protected 23 88.46%
Yes, slander and libel are protected 1 3.85%
They are not protected but should be 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yes, it certainly offends me. Limbaugh, who is allegedly an adult male, chose to malign a young woman who had initially been denied her right to testify in front of a Congressional panel regarding the issue of women's health care. The panel was comprised of five MEN. That men still believe that it's their right to interfere with issues that pertain only to a woman and her physician is extremely insulting.

Then shouldn't this issue have been KEPT to Ms. Fluke and her physician?

That they would also try to turn it into a religious issue is positively medieval. Rush called this young woman a sl*t, called her a prostitute, and suggested that she tape any sexual acts that she might engage in for his viewing pleasure.

Key word; HER. Disgusting for sure, but he didn't call or ask YOU or anyone else anything. He's a blowhard. Something that shouldn't be a shock to you at all.

As a woman, a wife and a mother, this issue has everything to do with me. The men who have chosen to defend Limbaugh simply illustrates the perverse nature of far too many males, who are clearly unable to see women as human beings who are every bit as deserving of respect and equality as men.

I'm not seeing many people defend what he said. I'm seeing people defend his right to say it AND point out the phony outrage the left is spewing while their own pundits (Maher/Shults/O'Donnell. et. al) do the same thing.

My outrage is quite real and certainly justified. The backlash against Limbaugh should be an indication that millions of women are offended,
and with good reason.

And it's phony. Where was the outrage from the left when Laura Ingraham was called a ****??????? HYPOCRITES and liars.

If you think people should be offended by what Limbaugh called Ms. Fluke, perhaps you should also point your offense towards the women on The View who apparently use the term all the time.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/03/06/laura-ingraham-busts-view-when-ed-schultz-called-me-****-barbara-walt (broken link)
In Red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Ha ha ha! It gets better and better. I hope she sues him. I want to see this story in the headlines for weeks and months to come.

Unless she can prove she is a virgin then she has no case.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You might get answers if your questions make sense
And your parsing of a few of my statements doesn't make any sense.

Are you speaking on behalf of WestCobb now?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,219,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
And your parsing of a few of my statements doesn't make any sense.

Are you speaking on behalf of WestCobb now?
I thought this was an open forum

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Unless she can prove she is a virgin then she has no case.
Only one way to find out -- she should sue.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am well aware of the definition of libel and slander, and as I said, it is not defamation if it is true. She went before Congress specifically to make a plea for taxpayers to pay for her sexually promiscuous behavior while she attended law school.

I never said "it was a joke," I said Limbaugh's statement was true and factual, supported by her own public testimony before Congress. Therefore, it cannot be construed as defamation.

She has hardly "kept quiet," but that is irrelevant to the topic of the thread.
You need to brush up on Law 101. From my link:

To prove that the material was defamatory, the plaintiff must show that at least one other person who saw or heard it understood it as having defamatory meaning. It is necessary to show not that all who heard or read the statement understood it to be defamatory, but only that one person other than the plaintiff did so. Therefore, even if the defendant contends that the communication was a joke, if one person other than the plaintiff took it seriously, the communication is considered defamatory.

No, Ms. Fluke hasn't exactly kept quiet, but I think she's wise not to address Rush. Let him take the heat for this.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I thought this was an open forum
It sure is but answering a question/statement on behalf of another poster is pretty lame and actually a bit egotistical since you seem to think you know how that individual is going to answer. Perhaps you can let them speak for themselves?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM

994 posts, read 725,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Translation, slander and libel should be protected
Translation, he's right and I have no rebuttal so I'll ignore the point of his post and make a straw man argument.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It was funny. It was typical Rush humor. Maher has said much worse things about conservative women and women in general and he isn't kidding.

It's weird how people don't get dark humor and hyperbole anymore. Ever watch a comedy roast? Some of what they skewer is true but it's still funny.

Fluke should have responded to Rush with a good comeback, she's had plenty of time to think of some. It would make her look more mature and she might even hurt his ego if she could show that kind of strength. But she is not a strong person based on her words and behavior.

No, there's nothing even vaguely funny about it. Watch the video and tell me exactly how jovial Limbaugh looks as he's attacking Ms. Fluke. Maher is on a cable network with an audience limited to those who subscribe, while Limbaugh is on the public airwaves. Ms. Fluke isn't vying to be a shock jock and respond flippantly to Limbaugh; she's a serious young woman who simply testified on the subject of womens' reproductive health. She had no way of knowing that Rush would personally attack her in such a vile way. She seems to be very intelligent and mature, while it's Rush who looks like an immature and insensitive clod. Even his "apology" was fake;
he blamed liberals rather than taking personal responsibility for having
behaved in an unbecoming...no, obscene way. And I thought the RW was
all about personal responsibility.

Rush Limbaugh Calls a Female Georgetown Student, Sandra Fluke, a '****' - YouTube

Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
It sure is but answering a question/statement on behalf of another poster is pretty lame and actually a bit egotistical since you seem to think you know how that individual is going to answer. Perhaps you can let them speak for themselves?
If you got any more childish, you'd need your own show on the EIB network. Skinny was right. Your question was lame. That's why you didn't get a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies