Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM

197 posts, read 208,271 times

Advertisements

Politicians will always grab onto random ideals when it fits their purpose. It's no surprise that they have usurped the very little they understand of Ayn Rand's philosophy for their purposes. These are the same politicians who claim to worship Christ (a man of peace), and yet wish to bomb Iran.....

Also, having read every post, most critics of Ayn Rand, when they actually focus on criticizing her ideals, tend to focus on her lack of love for the "community". I could, like others, attempt to prove to you that Ayn Rand's ideals are not only complementary with the idea of a community, but the very foundation of it. I believe she quite clearly discusses in what way people in a rational society form communities in Galt's Gulch.

Ayn Rand had alot of good ideas consistent with the logic the founding fathers of this nation had. At the same time, her personal lack of empathy for those who she deemed "looters" and "moochers" is a big flaw which pushes many away : essentially, if you thought like that, you were doomed (however she consciously chose to present her philosophy in a black and white way). I personally believe she placed too much emphasis on the ego: there is a point where it is in ones self interest to be primarily concerned with others, mostly with respect to educating them.

Empathy aside, anyone would find it hard to discredit the majority of her ideas on a practical basis, since they were derived from the ground up using only a rational approach. The majority who try either insult her personally, or her "followers".

TL : DR
A is A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Seems to be she was. I'm curious as to why when you made reference to Liberals you prefaced it with the word "Atheist". BTW...Are all Liberals Athiests?
No, not all Liberals are atheists...

BUT....Liberal atheists are virtually all collectivists. And those are who her ideals conflict with the most. And I'd also say there are many more liberal atheists than conservatives. But either way...Rand was intellectually honest in her philosophy.

Many people have a problem with that.

Like a post or so back alluded to...Ayn Rands principles actually made for a BETTER collective because it addressed core values at the smallest part.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
...............Her detractors like to explain her concept of "the virtue of selfishness" as a merciless social Darwinism that is incompatible with values of compassion and empathy.

Actually the opposite if true. The truly "selfish" person will maximize their utility to a larger society in order to reap the largest benefit. If everyone followed this concept we would truly live in a utopia.......
I for one am certainly grateful that Moore, Gates, Dell and others invested billions of dollars and lifetimes of work in the high-tech revolution. And that generations going back to Rockefeller invested billions in finding, producing, and distributing petroleum products. And people like Sears and Roebuck and Sam Walton invested billions in bringing goods from all around the world within reach of the average person.

A wise man once wrote "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest."

If I wished to make a million dollars per year, I would first need to determine how I could be that much more useful to my fellow man. But I'm not greedy; it is society's loss.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I'm not bothering to count how many insults you've hurled at me 'defending' rand from the horrible old Harborlady. I reject her ideology for hundreds of reasons, all on merit. I won't bother to enumerate them.
If you can not be bothered to enumerate reasons you reject her ideology...why post? What do you think you are contributing?

I guess the obvious question then is why am I bothering to respond...I admit, that's not a real bright move on my part.

But is sure is entertaining

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
Politicians will always grab onto random ideals when it fits their purpose. It's no surprise that they have usurped the very little they understand of Ayn Rand's philosophy for their purposes. These are the same politicians who claim to worship Christ (a man of peace), and yet wish to bomb Iran.....

Also, having read every post, most critics of Ayn Rand, when they actually focus on criticizing her ideals, tend to focus on her lack of love for the "community". I could, like others, attempt to prove to you that Ayn Rand's ideals are not only complementary with the idea of a community, but the very foundation of it. I believe she quite clearly discusses in what way people in a rational society form communities in Galt's Gulch.

Ayn Rand had alot of good ideas consistent with the logic the founding fathers of this nation had. At the same time, her personal lack of empathy for those who she deemed "looters" and "moochers" is a big flaw which pushes many away : essentially, if you thought like that, you were doomed (however she consciously chose to present her philosophy in a black and white way). I personally believe she placed too much emphasis on the ego: there is a point where it is in ones self interest to be primarily concerned with others, mostly with respect to educating them.

Empathy aside, anyone would find it hard to discredit the majority of her ideas on a practical basis, since they were derived from the ground up using only a rational approach. The majority who try either insult her personally, or her "followers".

Great post.
A is A.
Rand's idea of society as protrayed at Galt's Gulch is that members form societies for their own self interest. That one creates a new product and offers it for sale to make money for himself. Yet by doing so, he offers his customer a value that is of benefit to them. That you go to work for your own benefit...but that your efforts must in turn make money for your employer; he does not exist for the sake of your job. That interaction between individuals must be voluntary and free of complusion. And when this is true, both parties benefit.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post

A is A.

Don't confuse the Big Government Nanny State with empathy. Millions of us who hate the nanny state are extremely empathetic and donate time and money to help the disadvantaged. Taking money from hard working taxpayers and giving it to other people is not empathy.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The tea party is pushing her ideas. Just look at her and listen to how the republicans love her.

The Truth About GOP Hero Ayn Rand - YouTube

I can't get through the first chapter of Atlas Shrugged. I'll stick with Steinbeck.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Those who have read Atlas Shrugged and know she was a lousy writer.
I read it and feel that Atlas Shrugged is a literary masterpiece. Never have I ever seen a book that could put someone to sleep in a single paragraph. It's almost magical.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It's a fact that Rand admired this serial killer, regardless of the link that I provided. Her so called philosophy provided and excuse and validation for the sociopathics and individuals displaying symptoms of the "greed" disease.

Daily Kos: Ayn Rand, Eugenics, and "Lesser Breeds"

Many have read "Mein Kampf" and some will buy into the writing of a lunatic and many will not.
Oh, yeah. I'm really going to trust something from the "Daily Kos"!!!! LOL Talk about the lunatic fringe!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I read it and feel that Atlas Shrugged is a literary masterpiece. Never have I ever seen a book that could put someone to sleep in a single paragraph. It's almost magical.

Beats sleeping pills all to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies