Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You're still whining and refusing to listen why anyone would have cause to not only disagree philosophically, but to legitimately hate her. And some do. I hate what she's done to the conservative mind turning them into blithering idiots.

You're not going to hear specific quotes from me because I'm not wading through that tripe ever again anymore than I'd be willing to turn a page of suspended disbelief for dianetics ever again. My grievance is with the full body of her work in an American context, which is oil and water. She's incompatible with the full depth and breadth of the nation we are.

Looks to me you've made it your life's mission in this forum to promote this book. You don't think there's anything strange about that coming from an atheist? The atlas shrugged Bible?

It's stated in the Bible on more than one occasion to never worship a human being. There's a good reason for that even if you cannot bring yourself to believe in God.

You really need to get back on your meds......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you choose a ranting, left wing blogger as your source of information about Rand? One who makes random statements as fact, yet can't be bothered to provide a link, bibliography or footnote to the source of his statements?

OKay....so you still avoid discussing or refuting any of the ideas in her novels or other writings.
It's a fact that Rand admired this serial killer, regardless of the link that I provided. Her so called philosophy provided and excuse and validation for the sociopathics and individuals displaying symptoms of the "greed" disease.

Daily Kos: Ayn Rand, Eugenics, and "Lesser Breeds"

Many have read "Mein Kampf" and some will buy into the writing of a lunatic and many will not.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The post you like is all about people working together to achieve great results. Rand's novel is full of episodes where people work together to achieve great results such as building a railroad. Rand never advocated that people not work together.

Notice that the post you like does not say the government did any of those things.
Sorry, but the so called philosophy of Ayn Rand that right wingers have embraced has less to do with warm and fuzzy "working together" and more to do with demonizing the less fortunate.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,541,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Try teacher unions gone, has nothing to do with good teacher's. Pensions for life is bankrupting America. Check out Stockton, CA unions are wrong for this country!!

This is absurd to think anyone wants to get rid of teacher's what the heck is the left trying to pull.

You live where??
I live in conservative ville and no most conservatives do not own businesses and no they are not rich so whats your point. Also that was not about teachers and I want bother to explain since you couldn't understand apparently.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,251,886 times
Those who have not read her books are not qualified to judge them based on hearsay or interviews where it is easy to misspeak and difficult to expand on an idea. As far as her personality and personal life, we know little about the personal lives of writers like Aristotle, Shakespeare or Emily Dickinson. Are their writings also of no value? And let's not look too closely at the personal lives of liberal heroes like JFK and MLK ....
I don't agree with all of Ayn Rand's ideas and I doubt if most of her readers do.
Her detractors like to explain her concept of "the virtue of selfishness" as a merciless social Darwinism that is incompatible with values of compassion and empathy.
Actually the opposite if true. The truly "selfish" person will maximize their utility to a larger society in order to reap the largest benefit. If everyone followed this concept we would truly live in a utopia.
Rejection of this principle is at the heart of communist totalitarianism, which Ayn Rand experienced first hand and no doubt gave her the insight necessary to get to the heart of the matter so well.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, but the so called philosophy of Ayn Rand that right wingers have embraced has less to do with warm and fuzzy "working together" and more to do with demonizing the less fortunate.
You really should read the book.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It's a fact that Rand admired this serial killer, regardless of the link that I provided. Her so called philosophy provided and excuse and validation for the sociopathics and individuals displaying symptoms of the "greed" disease.

Daily Kos: Ayn Rand, Eugenics, and "Lesser Breeds"

Many have read "Mein Kampf" and some will buy into the writing of a lunatic and many will not.
So you've stepped your source up from a ranting left-wing blogger all the way to that source of reason and intellect known as the "Daily Kos"? Great source of info you have there. The author quotes 3 sentences from a Rand source, without context, and writes an entire, several page rant based on that. With Rand, context is particularly important...no one could accuse her of being concise.

And yet...no effort to refute her ideas.

You mention "Mein Kampf". It's acutally something I want to read some day. NOt becaue I admire Hitler; he's one of the most vile people to ever walk the face of the earth. I do think it's worth reading in order to gain some insite as to how someone can convince such a large portion of the population of a country to follow his leadership, when it's so obviously sick and twisted. And after reading it, I would enjoy a debate as to the ideas presented. Yet I'm not ignorant enough to condemn the book without reading it. The writer, for his actions, yes.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,046,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
Why should people who aren't successful live a decent life?

And you advocate taking money from a person who earned it and giving it to a person who didn't earn it. What's not to understand about that?
Why? Oh, I dunno, I guess because I'm not a douchebag.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
So you've stepped your source up from a ranting left-wing blogger all the way to that source of reason and intellect known as the "Daily Kos"? Great source of info you have there. The author quotes 3 sentences from a Rand source, without context, and writes an entire, several page rant based on that. With Rand, context is particularly important...no one could accuse her of being concise.

And yet...no effort to refute her ideas.

You mention "Mein Kampf". It's acutally something I want to read some day. NOt becaue I admire Hitler; he's one of the most vile people to ever walk the face of the earth. I do think it's worth reading in order to gain some insite as to how someone can convince such a large portion of the population of a country to follow his leadership, when it's so obviously sick and twisted. And after reading it, I would enjoy a debate as to the ideas presented. Yet I'm not ignorant enough to condemn the book without reading it. The writer, for his actions, yes.
I have never read the Dalai Lama's or Ghandi's writings in their entirety and yet I am intelligent enough to know that from what I have read and listened to, these are people worth emulating on various levels. It does not take rocket science to glean from writings about Rand not to mention how her mentors in present governement are demonizing the underprivileged to know that this woman was not someone worth emulating...especially to the degree that her followers have. I don't know how many actual followers this woman has, but when her distorted views take root, it is counter to what the nation's society is supposed to stand for.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 03-07-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,799,669 times
Quote:
So you can't be bothered to discuss her work,
I did. In several posts. You're willfully deaf.

Quote:
you can only attack her as a "blithering idiot"
I didn't say she was a blithering idiot. I said that was her effect on the conservative mind that I formerly admired. The party of Lincoln is dead. I attribute her with killing what was noble and true in it.

Quote:
because someone told you
I told you I read the book, and you responded by making things up. Liars can't ever believe someone would be truthful on principle.

Quote:
Who's the idiot?
Sane people who've seen the effects of Lyndon LaRouche/ cult tactics can judge for themselves.

Quote:
Look, I'm not a "ranting" Rander.
I'm not bothering to count how many insults you've hurled at me 'defending' rand from the horrible old Harborlady. I reject her ideology for hundreds of reasons, all on merit. I won't bother to enumerate them.

Quote:
Yet most her opposition is so virolent in their hatred
You still refuse to hear why their hatred would be virulent. Is it justified? Yes, it actually IS. Ayn Rand, Alan Greenspan and the Church of Satan are on manifestly unsound parallel paths. There is your neglected homework that you're claiming I haven't done. What works on the prosperity preaching crowd isn't going to fly with the rest of us. It's not flying with ethically minded atheists either. So, this isn't about cartoon superstitions you'd relegate to religion. Evil is quite real and you've been feeding it all along.

I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore. If you wanted to think about anything I've said, or dozens of other people have said up to this point, you would have. Omnipotence is swell, isn't it? Until it all blows up in your face and you catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. You've been warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies