Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM

38 posts, read 133,713 times

Advertisements

It's unfortunate that the majority of women (especially women's groups like NOW) continue to harbour such an entitlement mentality. Can you imagine if men acted like this? The few that do behave in this fashion are roundly condmened by their fellow men as lazy bums. But women are quick to defend the practice of awarding alimony and other injustices foisted upon men, and like the author above, to even claim they're not getting enough!

I call total BS on the long-standing myth that men do better in divorce vs women. Every single man that I have ever known whose been divorced has ended up far worse off (financially) than the ex. The typical scenario goes like this:

Wife files for divorce, gets house\kids\50% of all assets\50% of husband retirement plan. Husband, now impoverished and paying at least half his monthly income towards alimony & child support, is forced to move in with his parents. Wife lives comfortably while husband is lucky if he gets to see his kids every other weekend.

It's no wonder that 80% of divorces are iniated by women. Yet, if we're to believe the author, women are coming off badly in divorce and need alimony in addition to most of the assets, child support, etc?

I hate reading articles like this because it makes me wonder, are women generally this entitled or is this just a man-hating feminist minority talking this way? Are the majority of women ethical and fair-minded, or do most of them really think that they deserve everything they can get in divorce court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Spousal support is legal prostitution. Feminism is part of the reason 99% men are heavily screwed in divorce cases. While it's not only feminists, we have blind white knights running the system. These "men" are also part of the problem.

I say most women marry and divorce for money. Most have greedy intentions when they enter in relationships.

I know many female supremacists and their male lackeys are going to disagree and are going to get defensive. I know, feminists. The truth hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
It's unfortunate that the majority of women (especially women's groups like NOW) continue to harbour such an entitlement mentality. Can you imagine if men acted like this? The few that do behave in this fashion are roundly condmened by their fellow men as lazy bums. But women are quick to defend the practice of awarding alimony and other injustices foisted upon men, and like the author above, to even claim they're not getting enough!

I call total BS on the long-standing myth that men do better in divorce vs women. Every single man that I have ever known whose been divorced has ended up far worse off (financially) than the ex. The typical scenario goes like this:

Wife files for divorce, gets house\kids\50% of all assets\50% of husband retirement plan. Husband, now impoverished and paying at least half his monthly income towards alimony & child support, is forced to move in with his parents. Wife lives comfortably while husband is lucky if he gets to see his kids every other weekend.

It's no wonder that 80% of divorces are iniated by women. Yet, if we're to believe the author, women are coming off badly in divorce and need alimony in addition to most of the assets, child support, etc?

I hate reading articles like this because it makes me wonder, are women generally this entitled or is this just a man-hating feminist minority talking this way? Are the majority of women ethical and fair-minded, or do most of them really think that they deserve everything they can get in divorce court?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
I was reading the article expecting some grand changes on such a scale that would amaze even me... nope, I thought the alimony laws were already like that... I guess not... I didn't realize alimony is a "lifetime" deal? I remember when the wife requested to no longer work and stay at home and enjoy life... according to legal laws, it would be construed as if she is sacrificing for me to give up her job even though she is the one who wants to enjoy the good life... I told her no....

Old 03-23-2012, 05:22 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
alimony usually is not awarded.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
"lifetime" alimony is usually awarded to women who have nearly spent their entire adult "lifetime" as a stay at home wife and mother. Not someone who was married a couple years.

You can't lump people together. You can't lable them. You can't say "because of this..blablabla". Every case of divorce is unique. Mine is unique. Some men want a homemaker wife, some men don't. Some women want to be homemakers, some want careers. Sometimes women bail, sometimes men do. One size does not fit all.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
I think alimony should be on a case by case basis. Most people I know never got alimony and didn't deserve it any way. I have known a few that stayed home for years and they did get alimony for a few years.

I did have a neighbor years ago that got life time alimony because she kept fighting the divorce and he wanted out. She got $1,000 a month for life as long as she didn't remarry. She was a very bitter woman so I didn't see that happen any time soon.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Changing the state alimony laws - YouTube

A news video that gives a good breakdown on what is proposed.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It can be necessary in some cases. In my case I had a stay-at-home mother. She did eventually return to work as my brothers and I got older, but imagine if my parents had divorced while we were still young. Suddenly she has 3 kids to raise, and a resume with a five-year gap of no working? I think in a case like that, at least a few years of alimony are appropriate since a five-year gap on a resume is going to limit your earning potential for a while, and her five-year resume gap was something both partners in the marriage had agreed upon.

But permanent, unending alimony is outdated and should never happen. In addition, in cases where a couple had a stay-at-home dad, the mom should be the one paying the dad alimony. And if there aren't kids I don't think alimony is appropriate at all.
^^^^^

BRAVO!!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Good. Feminists want equality. There they have it. But I really think alimony should be abolished because once a couple splits, they should move on.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
that has been law i amny states for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies