Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times

Advertisements

Why are we still there,after 10 years ?Time to cut our losses and move on .Unfortunately,America's hard headed stubborn leaders seem to think "we are still committed to Afganistan" mentality .Coming on the heals of Quarn burning and now the murder of civilians this going to have some dire consequences.I can't help to wonder ,if both incidents were intended to cause trouble and,force America out ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They burn their own Korans and kill their own women and children. They should practice what they are trying to preach.
People can do whatever they want when they're in their own homes. When you're a guest, you have to be on your best behavior. Unfortunately, this time, we weren't, and there are consequences.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
its like vietnam. strange they said the same thing whenever we killed viet cong.
innocent civilians murdered.
when mobs attack and kill soldiers afterwards next day, they automatically become innocent civilians.
same as here if anybody gets hurt and its goes south, throw the cop or the soldier under the bus.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
People can do whatever they want when they're in their own homes. When you're a guest, you have to be on your best behavior. Unfortunately, this time, we weren't, and there are consequences.
I totally agree with the underlined. Beautifully said.

Question: Were we "on our best behavior" when we arrived there? What was our approach: benevolence, or aggression?

Peace,
brian

Old 03-12-2012, 10:17 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I totally agree with the underlined. Beautifully said.

Question: Were we "on our best behavior" when we arrived there? What was our approach: benevolence, or aggression?

Peace,
brian
I think it was benevolence toward the Afghan population for the most part. We went to kill people who attacked us. We weren't the aggressors in Afghanistan. (We were in Iraq.) Some wars are good; some are bad. All of them stink when they go on for too long though.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think it was benevolence toward the Afghan population for the most part. We went to kill people who attacked us. We weren't the aggressors in Afghanistan. (We were in Iraq.) Some wars are good; some are bad. All of them stink when they go on for too long though.
Please qualify what makes a "good war"

Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
Maybe we should let countries fight their own wars.. Somehow I don't buy the notion that everyone wants "our help.." And even if they did, how does that improve our own relations with other countries? It only makes the US seem like it wants to get into other peoples' affairs.

Then again, I don't think America has ever really cared about the well-being of the Afghans..

Peace!
brian

Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Please qualify what makes a "good war"
No war is "good" (I guess a bad choice of words on my part), but some wars are necessary and justified in my opinion. Nations have a right to self defense. We had a right to defend ourselves against 9/11 -- just as we had a right to defend ourselves against Pearl Harbor. I'm fairly left on most issues (including ones of war and peace), but I don't have patience for pacifist absolutists.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Maybe we should let countries fight their own wars.. Somehow I don't buy the notion that everyone wants "our help.." And even if they did, how does that improve our own relations with other countries? It only makes the US seem like it wants to get into other peoples' affairs.

Then again, I don't think America has ever really cared about the well-being of the Afghans..

Peace!
brian
I pretty much agree on all points. Still, we didn't choose the war in Afghanistan. It chose us. We didn't go into Afghanistan out of an altruistic concern for the Afghan people. We went into to kill people who killed Americans. Once there, our posture toward the Afghan population at large was benevolent. We didn't mean them any harm. We did mean a lot of harm toward the Arab and indigenous Taliban that harbored Al Qaeda.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
I pretty much agree on all points. Still, we didn't choose the war in Afghanistan. It chose us. We didn't go into Afghanistan out of an altruistic concern for the Afghan people. We went into to kill people who killed Americans. Once there, our posture toward the Afghan population at large was benevolent. We didn't mean them any harm. We did mean a lot of harm toward the Arab and indigenous Taliban that harbored Al Qaeda.
Benevolent?lol Our presence there alone is a threat.
How would you feel about Russians having a base in your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies