Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There is such a thing as sex parts and gender, and there is no reason why two people with the same sex parts should get married. It's abnormal.
That is where you are wrong. Physical sex is not always clear cut. Sure, intersex is a minority and not the major issue here, but what are intersex people supposed to do??? How can you define a legal cutoff between intersex and being sufficiently male or female to have your freedom controlled by gender laws??? The only fair approach is to give everyone freedom to decide.

Secondly, everyone is abnormal in some way or another. Normal is just a theoretical ideal that doesn't really exist. A truly normal person would be really boring. So, why should anyone care about being normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,661 times
News from a state that is not on my "NEXT 10" list:

Ohio Gay Marriage Supporters Resubmit Petition

Quote:
Gay marriage supporters on Monday resubmitted a petition that seeks to repeal Ohio's gay marriage ban after a first attempt was rejected.

The group Freedom to Marry Ohio filed a new summary of the proposal along with more than 2,380 signatures to Attorney General Mike DeWine's office.

If DeWine approves the proposal, the group can begin gathering the roughly 385,000 signatures needed to put the item on the ballot.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Getting closer, and closer....

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Just a few years ago, House Republicans were trying to etch their opposition of gay marriage into the Constitution. Now? They’re almost silent.

It’s been one of the swiftest shifts in ideology and strategy for Republicans, as they’ve come nearly full circle on same-sex politics. What was once a front-and-center issue for rank-and-file Republicans — the subject of many hotly worded House and Senate floor speeches — is virtually a dead issue, as Republicans in Congress don’t care to have gay marriage litigated in the Capitol.

Even more than that, Republican leadership has evolved, too. It has quietly worked behind the scenes to kill amendments that reaffirm opposition to same-sex unions, several sources told POLITICO.
Republicans retreat on gay marriage - Jake Sherman and Anna Palmer - POLITICO.com

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

417 posts, read 365,641 times
I'm a Republican, and like many Republicans, we don't care one way or another about the issue and don't want it to become an issue. That article is no surprise to me.

Let them marry. Or don't. Not my problem, and I don't care. To be honest, I support it mainly because I have gay friends and family and don't think it is any of my business.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
If the SCOTUS rules that it's legal in the United States there will be religious and social opponents that will sue the Federal Government.
Showing what damages? There are 2 fundamental arguments against:

1: "But Jesus!"
2: "It's icky!"

So far, what you've presented boils down to "it's icky" and that's not going to fly.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
The list of nations is on this wiki link and as I said every nation with an European influence has legalized same sex marriage.

Ask yourself why?

Same-sex marriage
Because nations with European roots are more likely to have elected legislators and a separation of religion from government. Duh.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Because nations with European roots are more likely to have elected legislators and a separation of religion from government. Duh.
It's not legal in Russia, and likely never will be.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
It's not legal in Russia, and likely never will be.
And the point is...?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And the point is...?
Maybe some people think the United States needs to take social cues from Russia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies