Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,676,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yet some people can't stop whining about choices that they make.

Whining? Who is whining?

That's right, I made the choice to join and though I am no longer in, I have the UTMOST respect for those who have served and are currently serving..unlike some people.

I don't feel entitled to sh*t but at the same time I don't talk trash about Veterans. They deserve respect.

You seem too bitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 03:33 PM

760 posts, read 685,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My hope is that their military experience will open their eyes and they too will one day believe that war is a criminal act.
...an an extreme waste of taxpayers money when it does not protect OUR freedoms whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Whining? Who is whining?

That's right, I made the choice to join and though I am no longer in, I have the UTMOST respect for those who have served and are currently serving..unlike some people.

I don't feel entitled to sh*t but at the same time I don't talk trash about Veterans. They deserve respect.

You seem too bitter.

This is where you and I disagree. And let me explain.

First, my step-father was in the Air Force. I lived on several air force bases all over this country, the last one I lived at was Andrews AFB outside of Washington DC.

My sisters husband is in the Army, he has been to Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. I have been to several Army bases with sister and her family. With my favorite base being Fort Lewis in Washington State(with Mt. Rainier in the distance).

A very large percentage of the people who join the military aren't doing it because they believe they owe this country their service. Or that they really believe in the American wars we are fighting all over the world. The vast majority of the military men and women I have come into contact joined the military because it was decent money and benefits.

Basically, the military is a good job with good benefits.

The military gets a disproportionate amount of servicemen from places like Puerto Rico. Why do you think that is? Because Puerto Ricans love this country so much they are going to die for it? Absolutely not. They join because they are poor, and they have very few other opportunities. Which is probably a reason why so many southerners tend to join the military compared to northerners.

It is true that the military is a dangerous profession. But there are other professions that are also extremely dangerous. Most of the other dangerous professions aren't praised as "heroes", because they really aren't heroes at all.

I don't believe that the US military stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan right now are doing anything heroic at all. I don't believe that their presence there is making me any safer here. They are just used as a tool for US control. And this whole talk about how they are heroes is just a political tool to justify our imperialism.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite quotes of all time...

Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY. - Hermann Goering

The truth is, if our military didn't get paid as much as they are now, there would be no military. Or at least, it wouldn't be an "all volunteer force".

In reality, our military is a group of mercenaries with a few real patriots sprinkled in. Which should have been obvious in 2008, when Ron Paul received more private donations from the military than any of the other candidates. Ron Paul wants to end the wars, he wants to close the foreign bases, and bring all our servicemen home. And I can't agree more.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Redshadowz...your post is spot on!

While I agree that the military is a good job with good benefits is true today, that was NOT the case during the Viet Nam fiasco. Back then, many of my Air Force cohorts were there for the same or similar reasons I mentioned in my post above.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Yet some people can't stop whining about choices that they make.
Wait, I thought you were complaining about how much we (the military) make, retired? You sure YOU ARE not the one whining?

Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM

100 posts, read 212,924 times
Quote:
Everyone in the military CHOOSES to enlist.

Military get free rent, utilities, BAS, sep rations, medical, education.
These benefits are not counted in their salary so they look like they make less.
Let's start counting the rent, utilities, medical, education, etc. benefits and see how they stack up.
They know their salaries when they enlist.

They choose to join.
People with few/no skills can't expect to make much.
People with few/no skills sounds like Obamas union thugs.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlke View Post
I think its pretty disgusting that military gets FREE housing to live where ever you want and FREE food, $1300 tax free per month on top of their basic pay, basic pay averaging like $30,000 per year over 8 years enlisted. thats $46,000 per year, a lot of it tax free. I dont know what these military people are complaining about. Then they get FREE education that costs normal people thousands. The US economy is tanking now because it has to print and borrow all this money to pay for things we cant afford. and tanking the value of normal citizens dollars that dont get all this free stuff, so that military can buy booze, tvs and cars. I lived in Colo Springs for 10 years surrounded by bases, saw it go down. meanwhile I'm struggling with a basic job in the REAL economy without all these free bonuses.
I dont know if you look at this but you are a ****ING IDIOT!!! Come to Afghanistan, live in a fox hole wear a helmet and a 25 lb IOTV with knee and elbow pads daily, have bullets fly over your head eat MRE's daily and not see your family for a year and you think we make too much money? You ****ing ***** and disrespectful ******, got to Mexico or somewhere you don't deserve your ****ing freedom. Tax free 1300 on top of base pay? Last I checked my base pay is 1600 i make an additional 150 dollars for being over seas and 150 hazard making it 1900, before taxes after taxes I make 1341 bucks a month. And you struggle. I get a free place to live that was built by the cheapes contractor known to man, sleep on a cot and get a few meals. My schooling paid for **** I deserve that for risking my life daily. I have an annual salary of a little over 14,000 dollars and you wanna ***** i make to much you should have your ****ing head blown off you **** sucking ass face. You dont deserve the life you live you should have been swallowed by your mom you ****** ****.You dont value your life you ***** cuz you are a meaningless waste of space in life and have nothing going for you I hope you are dead

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
the military is UNDERpaid

Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
The soldiers who work for the US army get paid too little when you consider that the Iraq contractors make a hell of a lot more than the soldiers who are actually fighting.
The free market shows you what the real compensation should be, and its not $25,000 a year for a sergeant. But hey, they get a whole $225 extra a month for combat pay.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 AM

1,081 posts, read 915,861 times
The uneducated are typically known to bash the military and not comprehend how things work. Its good for a laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies