Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times

Advertisements

VaFury,

You're not far off, but let me explain how it works and it might clear up some misunderstandings.

First off, all Enlistments are 8 years now. At least Navy is. Can't vouch for the other branches but they're pretty close.

You can do 2 active, 4 reserves, 2 inactive reserves but subject to call up.
or
You can do 4 active, 2 reserves, 2 inactive reserves but subject to call up.
or
You can do 6 active, 2 inactive but subject to call up.

Here's the meat of it.
2 years active will get you boot camp, an indoc school of some sort and your in the field.
4 years active will get you boot camp, an indoc school of some sort and your in the field. But, you can strike for rate. In other words, you'll go to a ship, work in some off the wall field like chipping paint, scrubbing bilges and such. If you find a rate you really like, you can put in a chit to work in that rate. After a few months, if you really get into it, study their rate training manuals and learn your stuff, they might send you to that school
6 years active will gaurantee you a major school. Mine was about 16 months of advanced electronics.

On the 4 year hitch, when they opt to send you to a school that you struck for? they'll also most likely require you to extend for 2 years in order to get the school.

The 4 year guys get training on various things but nothing major that will convert to a really good job out in town. The 6 year guys will get major training that directly correlates to a job out in town.

Hope that cleared up some things for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM

989 posts, read 2,761,795 times
BTW, at first I thought the "VA" was for Veteran's Affairs instead of Virginia (and thus assumed you were a vet), so I thought it was odd you were asking military questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post

This is what I see..... An opportunity for a goal-oriented individual who is down on his/her luck being given an opportunity to learn a skill or trade that they can use in civilian life and in the meantime given sustenance and a minimal wage.

In return, you are committed to service of your country and pretty much have to go where they tell you to go and do what they want you to do for four years.....
Well, at least in my experiences there was a very big difference between the military way/skills and the civilian way. Part of it is that the military is a separate entity and so they evolved different methods of doing things (similar I think to the way the US & UK drive different, etc), the military has a different job (not many civilian office workers need to be prepared for a chemical gas attack, "just in case"), and that the biggest benefit of making skills more transferable to the civilian side is that more folks would "leave for the civilian side", which is something that isn't really a priority for the military.

That also assumes similar job comparisons (military admin to office admin, Humvee mechanic to car mechanic, etc) and many jobs have no real comparison (combat, for instance).

In my opinion, the whole "job skills for a civilian career" is not much more than an ad campaign, and isn't much more realistic than the 'beer makes you beautiful and all the women will want you' ads. As an example, when I was in the military processing center (you go there and take tests, a physical, etc and then immediately sign a contract) there was a girl who was joining the Army to help her be a civilian nurse. The recruiter promised her a job in the medical field. They could have made her a surgical assistant (the person who passes tools and wipes sweat off the doctor's forehead in surgery), a field medic, etc. Well, the "medical field job" that she got was medical supply clerk, which isn't much more than a stock-boy for the aspirin (and most teens are able to handle that with no training or experience as a first job).

You do get a good bump from some of the intangible "military service" qualities, and it is a nice thing to put on your resume. For me at least though, it is something that is a nice addition to my job skills, but it didn't really convey many skills in itself. You also can get a good chunk of college money and loan repayments for enlisting (up to $50K, not counting the new wave of enlistment bonuses), so I suppose that is military provided skills, just in a different way.

Last edited by Evlevo; 09-12-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-12-2007, 10:58 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,134 times
Thanks for clearing all that up.... Almost joined the Air Force back in 1995 due to a life that wasn't going anywhere.... That was the promise I was given. Never ended up going. Interesting to here the whole truth on what the deal is...

Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 PM

308 posts, read 711,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?

The U.S. Military isn't paid enough, but the real question should be does Congress deserve to make $170,000 a year?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,006 times
When put into the context of national defense, then yeah, extremely underpaid.

But when the military is used for something other than national defense, it becomes a giant welfare system. Its like asking 'do ppl who work in our domestic welfare system and government employees giving out food stamps underpaid?'.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
Quote:
the real question should be does Congress deserve to make $170,000 a year?
No, they don't.

However, it's fairly disgusting how easily even one-term representatives can get jobs paying $800,000 per year as 'lobbyists' after their stint in the Congress.

That's just the way our political system is arranged, I guess.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
better to ask me if I think congress gets paid too much.
Yes aren't they the ones who vote for pay increases in the middle of the night?

Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,386,345 times
Great pictures, gotta love combat photographers. thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 AM

106 posts, read 316,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
When put into the context of national defense, then yeah, extremely underpaid.

But when the military is used for something other than national defense, it becomes a giant welfare system. Its like asking 'do ppl who work in our domestic welfare system and government employees giving out food stamps underpaid?'.
I tend to agree with this post. The military, while powerful and very proud, should be used for National Defense in its true meaning. Politics have ruined what the true meaning of a military should be. And sadly most military personnel are very disciplined and do as they are told without question. That's good except the leaders above are crapping all over them with underlying political agendas. Hang tough military men and women!

And the welfare point is well made too. So many younger families in the military are recepients of sub-standard living conditions and welfare-type programs. Should they be paid for for their loyalty and committment...I say YES!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Military personell don't make that great of money or anything usually, BUT get free housing and such, right??? What does the government provide that a civilian would have to provide for themselves??? I'm unsure, but it makes a difference in answering your question.
First not all bases have housing, and there's usually a waiting list. In more expensive areas like No VA, they are given a cost of living differential, but believe me, it's not enough.

They do get to shop at the commissary though.

My answer is that the lower ranks are paid too little and some of the officers are paid too much. Also, wouldn't it be just fair to make the more complicated jobs pay more, instead of getting paid by rank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies