Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM

767 posts, read 2,292,501 times

Advertisements

I think the families of the HEROES killed or mained should get as big a settlement as the families of the poor folks killed on 9-11. Certainly anyone in combat should make more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:23 PM

116 posts, read 372,474 times
Ok the military provides a lot for people from a lower socioeconomic backround/people not able to go to college. Think about it, free training, food, and housing. This is alot for some people. However pay should be more to keep people in for longer terms. Oh and the military is one of the most mundane jobs in the world.......

Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Given their value to all citizens (even those that loathe any and all things military), I'd say they are not overpaid.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:39 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Oh and the military is one of the most mundane jobs in the world.......
Mundane, really. You speak from experience? Tell you what - I travelled to 15 countries (plus Hawaii and Guam a few times), went to a war, was given more responsibility and accountability in terms of systems and people than just about anybody else that was my age. I saw some life and death situations, and made some good friends. I was able to hitch a ride on the back of a military airplane to England for a week vacation. Wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Mundane is sitting in a cubicle for 9 hours a day, Dilbert style. And oh by the way those military experiences look damn good on my resume a decade later, and employers know they are getting somebody that understands displine, team play and hard work.

People join the military for a lot of different reasons. Many do join to escape from wherever they are. But the military is a positive experience fo a lot of people. Can be a life changing experience for the better. I don't agree with Iraq, and obviously that changes things when you talk about joining up, but I don't blame the troops for the situation.

Last edited by bily4; 09-11-2007 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: added a line

Old 09-11-2007, 06:59 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,400,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Ok the military provides a lot for people from a lower socioeconomic backround/people not able to go to college. Think about it, free training, food, and housing. This is alot for some people. However pay should be more to keep people in for longer terms. Oh and the military is one of the most mundane jobs in the world.......
ha, my user title gets called into action again.. my dad's a multimillionaire president/CEO of a bank he started himself.. and I finished 20 years in the Navy last year as a lowly enlisted person.. guess that doesn't fit the mold either eh?
and mundane? maybe you had a bad experience, but I've done things most people can't do, or they'd be arrested for doing them... I've done everything from catapulting off an aircraft carrier to legally carrying a gun in an airport hunting down bad guys and working with people from agencies that most people only read about. I'd hardly call that mundane..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Mundane, really. You speak from experience? Tell you what - I travelled to 15 countries (plus Hawaii and Guam a few times), went to a war, was given more responsibility and accountability in terms of systems and people than just about anybody else that was my age. I saw some life and death situations, and made some good friends. I was able to hitch a ride on the back of a military airplane to England for a week vacation. Wouldn't trade those experiences for anything. Mundane is sitting in a cubicle for 9 hours a day, Dilbert style. And oh by the way those military experiences look damn good on my resume a decade later, and employers know they are getting somebody that understands displine, team play and hard work.

People join the military for a lot of different reasons. Many do join to escape from wherever they are. But the military is a positive experience fo a lot of people. Can be a life changing experience for the better. I don't agree with Iraq, and obviously that changes things when you talk about joining up, but I don't blame the troops for the situation.
never thought I'd give you positive rep, but you definitely deserved it for that one. Outstanding post my friend

Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM

Seems like you had a fun time in the military and it gave you a lot of experience,which is why it is very useful.I believe ROTC is a good deal and a heck of a lot better then enlisted.

There are jobs within the military where you get free training w/o enlisting especially with nuclear technology(basically a civilian working for the govt.)

But what about the MPs on bases who sit around all day, sandblasters on subs, people who have the job to watch a sub hatch all day inhaling in diesel full and ciggarette smoke. Ya cubicle jobs suck but at least someone doesn't own you. Plus the military has comparable crappy jobs.

Experience-most likely going to do ROTC at college, close family members who spent years upon years in the military.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:13 PM

That's true, there are some seriously crappy jobs in the military.. sorry for biting your head off earlier, but I'm kinda protective when it comes to the military..

People call it a microcosm of the country and it is. There's plenty of good and plenty $hit and plenty of everything in between.. however, it still offers things you just can't find anywhere else.. like being a hitman, but not having to worry about getting arrested. You just can't find that job in the classifieds or on monster.com

and I'll keep my opinion of officers to myself.. there are some good, some are great, but there's a lot that think you get respect just by wearing the uniform....

Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Its cool

Ya I heard officers Rotc( even ocs?) guys get alot of crap from enlisted guys when they are fresh out of college

Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 PM

well, you said you might consider it after school? just remember that respect is always earned and never commisioned.. that'll gain you mega bonus points with the people that will make or break you...

Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 AM

106 posts, read 316,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Keep in mind that they have a guaranteed pension for life after 20 years of military service. They are among the few organizations still offering this benefit, and the military member does not pay into this pension fund from their salaries:

Military pension would be hard to match - Military Financial Advice - Army Times
And that's IF they make it to 20 years to collect this pension. Keep in mind the reality of over 3,700 brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, etc that have died since the invasion of Iraq four years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies