Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
First not all bases have housing, and there's usually a waiting list. In more expensive areas like No VA, they are given a cost of living differential, but believe me, it's not enough.

They do get to shop at the commissary though.

My answer is that the lower ranks are paid too little and some of the officers are paid too much. Also, wouldn't it be just fair to make the more complicated jobs pay more, instead of getting paid by rank?
The Navy was good in that they went out in town and bought up blocks of houses. Yes, we got a living differential to live on our own out in town while we were on the waiting list. The first time I applied for housing, I was on the waiting list for 42 months. Then I moved into Navy Housing. But my tour of duty was only 48 months so I stood a chance to move in 6 months and go back on a waiting list in another city. I lucked out and pulled orders to a ship in the same port so I didn't have to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Well, you have to take a few things into perspective on this. 1) They don't have to pay for their food. 2) They don't have to pay for their stay wherever it is. 3) They don't have to pay for the fuel, ammunition, supplies, etc. 4) The most important: Nobody forced any of these men/women to enlist in the first place. There is no draft, so these individuals putting themselves into this situation of fight for another country. If they don't like it, maybe they shouldn't have joined. The other thing is that they are paid regardless of if they do their job or not. A friend of mine that just went back to Iraq was telling me that the Hummvee mechanics are basically worthless. They didn't care if the vehicles were fully operational or not because they get paid no matter what. The contract mechanics were paid only when their job was complete.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:20 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
It's interesting that you mentioned the Humvee. Chevy lost the contract because they were such a nightmare to keep running. There will be no more Humvee's produced.

Just a side note.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
1) They don't have to pay for their food. 3) They don't have to pay for the fuel, ammunition, supplies, etc.
Point 1: As far as I remember, I went to the store few days ago to buy food

Point 3: Could you explain what you mean by it?

Just to let you know the condition of our housing. Few day ago a huge tree fell in my neighbors yard. It could have killed one of the kids playing there. The tree accross my apartment is in a even worst condition. A wall in my neighbors house crashed and they had to move out. The other thing about our great housings is the danger of electrical fire. How great that someone lets us know. Little over a year ago, a house accross the street burned down while my neighbors were gone to the hospital. They came back and: SURPRISE. Yeah....my place could be smashed by a tree, or the walls could fall in, or it could burn down whenever. How great is that? And what gets done about it? Nothing.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
The U.S. Military isn't paid enough, but the real question should be does Congress deserve to make $170,000 a year?
not even 17 cents per year..
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
When put into the context of national defense, then yeah, extremely underpaid.

But when the military is used for something other than national defense, it becomes a giant welfare system. Its like asking 'do ppl who work in our domestic welfare system and government employees giving out food stamps underpaid?'.
so what exactly is the context of national defense? would that only be people with rifles in their hands being shot at? and anyone supporting them is worthless? I think you need to zoom out and look at the bigger picture...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
Well, you have to take a few things into perspective on this. 1) They don't have to pay for their food. 2) They don't have to pay for their stay wherever it is. 3) They don't have to pay for the fuel, ammunition, supplies, etc. 4) The most important: Nobody forced any of these men/women to enlist in the first place. There is no draft, so these individuals putting themselves into this situation of fight for another country. If they don't like it, maybe they shouldn't have joined. The other thing is that they are paid regardless of if they do their job or not. A friend of mine that just went back to Iraq was telling me that the Hummvee mechanics are basically worthless. They didn't care if the vehicles were fully operational or not because they get paid no matter what. The contract mechanics were paid only when their job was complete.
I'm guessing you never served.. and I wish I would've known we didn't have to pay for things at the grocery store back when I was active duty.. I probably wasted tens of thousands of dollars on food.. and the gas station too, especially when I was in California and paying huge amounts of money for gas. I don't think anyone knows about these perks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
Point 1: As far as I remember, I went to the store few days ago to buy food

Point 3: Could you explain what you mean by it?

Just to let you know the condition of our housing. Few day ago a huge tree fell in my neighbors yard. It could have killed one of the kids playing there. The tree accross my apartment is in a even worst condition. A wall in my neighbors house crashed and they had to move out. The other thing about our great housings is the danger of electrical fire. How great that someone lets us know. Little over a year ago, a house accross the street burned down while my neighbors were gone to the hospital. They came back and: SURPRISE. Yeah....my place could be smashed by a tree, or the walls could fall in, or it could burn down whenever. How great is that? And what gets done about it? Nothing.
Do you happen to live in San Diego? We had a tree fall on our car and it did about $10K worth of damage. We reported it several times, but they didn't have the money to cut it down. I told them it's going to cost you a lot more when one of those big limbs that keeps falling lands on a little kid and kills them... luckily when the entire thing crashed down it only hit my car. The very top of it brushed against the neighbor across the street's house, but luckily they weren't out in their front yard.
ahh, yes, living in housing was such a job and we lived like kings too...

Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Please refer to my post on another thread: #25

blessings...Franco

Old 09-18-2007, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 36,943 times
As my time comes to an end after 20 years in the Navy I thought I would add a little to this post.

As far as pay goes, were not overpaid or underpaid. I think were paid just right. Sure the E1's-E3's dont make alot of money but most of them are young kids straight out of high school with no bills. Most of the kids join the armed forces for other reasons than pay. Most join because of money for college. Others were like myself, I joined to get out of the town I grew up in. I knew if I stayed I would end up in trouble.

I can say that I am glad I decided to stay after my first 4 years. I have seen more than 30 countries, lived in 6 states, obtained my Bachleors Degree (something I never dreamed of in my high school years), and have met many people that I now call friends forever. Sure, to visit the 30 countries I had to leave home for 6 months at a time to go on my 7 deployments, but it was well worth it.

I can tell all of you this, even when we are not at war our armed forces personnel still deploy away from family for months at a time. Its just part of the job and we learn to deal with it.

For all of the military spouses out there I would like to say that I know you have the hardest part of the job. Your the ones that must deal with the unknowns every day, the children asking when there mom/dad will be coming home, all the holidays apart. You really have my respect. Remember that you make it possible for us to do our jobs while we are away.

Thanks, and cant wait to join you in the civilian workforce.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy

Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Its cool

Ya I heard officers Rotc( even ocs?) guys get alot of crap from enlisted guys when they are fresh out of college
I don't know what branch of the service you intend to go into, but you'd be very wise to respectfully listen to the NCO's, especially senior NCO's, who'll be working with you. When I was in the USAF, it was customary for brand new officers (we called them "butter bars") to be "groomed" by an E-8 or E-9.
Listening to your senior NCO's will more than likely help keep you alive. You will also learn a lot to advance in your career. It isn't always "crap". Take it in stride and learn.

Years after I got out of the service, I had the pleasure of working with a retired O-6 who was a nurse in Search and Rescue Operations. The man spent 30 years in the Army. Both his parents were wealthy lawyers, so the Army was not his only option. He served in Viet-Nam as well as in Afghanistan. He always said he was alive because he had "damned good senior NCO's" working with him. He was a riot to work with and I miss him dearly.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Well lets look at this. They have to go to one of the most dangerous places in the world. Put their lives in jeopardy for a cause they probably do not understand or know anything about. And you are complaining about how much money they make. I have been in the military and have worked in the private sector. In my experience soldiers are grossly underpaid and are essentially indentured servants. Gaining a skill, that skill may or may not be usable out of the army, given food, shelter is provided for them, and maybe even a small wage. Have you ever even been the military? Or are you just speaking from your limited experience or second hand information, because your reasoning is not only flawed, hopefully due to lack of experience, but more likely due to a some mental deficiency but completely idiotic. Before you start making outrageous claims please have some sort of intelligence basis for posting on the internet. If I were you I would be embarrassed that my ignorance and complete idiocy is on display for the entire world. Oh by the way you are welcome that I and my fellow servicemen are willing to put our lives in mortal danger in order to allow you voice your simple minded and obviously asinine beliefs.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
What do you think?
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies