Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,537 times

Advertisements

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times
better to ask me if I think congress gets paid too much.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
The soldiers who work for the US army get paid too little when you consider that the Iraq contractors make a hell of a lot more than the soldiers who are actually fighting.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 AM

555 posts, read 2,212,798 times
What makes you think the military gets too much pay? All the miliary families I know that are in the reserves get less pay than their regular jobs which makes it hard on their families to pay bills. Also, military families often struggle to make ends meet. The extended family often helps to keep them afloat financially. How much would you work for for putting your life at stake?

Old 09-11-2007, 04:48 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
For risking life and limb, being away from their families for over a year at a time, having to live with 100 other people in a small cube, having no say in what you do at all with your days? Absolutely! Not to mention the free medical care and other perks they get after they are shot or blown up. Hrummph. Man those guys got it good.

Military Pay Charts - Basic US Military Pay Chart January 1, 2006

Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Regular troops and reserves get paid way too little. Officers are about right. mercenaries way too much and their employers are ripping off the taxpayers.

IIRC an E-3 to E-6 soldier cannot support a family on their pay (at least they could not when I was an e-3 in the Navy) and, if we are to have a "professional" army the people need to be able to afford to be soldiers or sailors.

If you get wounded you are really screwed because you loose your military job and no civillian employer can afford to carry your health insurance.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 AM

194 posts, read 1,028,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
What makes you think the military gets too much pay?
If you ask me if they are getting too much, I would have to say "no." I'm a military spouse so I know; however, many civilians think that this is the case. BTW my husband is deployed for his second time.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
Well Skittle, here's my honest opinion..... During times of war, like now, no, they are underpaid if anything. During times of peace, yeah, I think they're overpaid....

Help me get my facts straight (and I'm serious, not being nasty). Military personell don't make that great of money or anything usually, BUT get free housing and such, right??? What does the government provide that a civilian would have to provide for themselves??? I'm unsure, but it makes a difference in answering your question.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:10 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well Skittle, here's my honest opinion..... During times of war, like now, no, they are underpaid if anything. During times of peace, yeah, I think they're overpaid....

Help me get my facts straight (and I'm serious, not being nasty). Military personell don't make that great of money or anything usually, BUT get free housing and such, right??? What does the government provide that a civilian would have to provide for themselves??? I'm unsure, but it makes a difference in answering your question.
Let's see... you get "free" housing for yourself. As for "military housing" you must be an E-3 or greater, have a family, and be put on a waiting list (the list is pretty huge in my area.....).. Then, maybe if you're lucky, you might get to live in it about a year before being moved to a different base.

As for pay, E1 and E2 are in the "SOL" group because you don't get enough pay to live off of base. It's about $1300-1400/month. You don't qualify for housing allowances *to live off base* until you make E3... then you have to apply for it, and you might get denied for any number of reasons.

Military Pay charts and allowances (http://www.dfas.mil/army2/militarypaycharts/2007MilPaycharts-cc.pdf - broken link)

Officers can make a pretty penny... but the base pay of the enlisted... is shoddy at best.

Even out of times of war, the military don't get paid enough for what they do. Not everybody in the military is a "grab a gun and go shoot" person. Military hospitals? Those are military personnel working there... and 9 times out of 10 making less than their civilian counterparts.

The free healthcare bit... it's only free if you go to a military hospital. Military dependents usually get seen outside of the military hospital, where there are co-pays and such. This much I do know from experience. Civilians may not get "free" health insurance (Except welfare), but most get it through their jobs, so.. since this is their job, why not?

Free housing.. the barracks or whatever you want to call them.... it's not as "great" as you'd think. In a lot of places, the barracks are 60+ years old, cockroach infested and downright nasty. But some bases really maintain their barracks. I'd rather room with 3 or 4 other personnel off base. Even without housing allowances.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 AM

116 posts, read 372,474 times
Contractors are the smarter ones who left the military and are making around 100k a year, however it is more dangerous.

No offense to people in the military. How much should they make? Officers obviously a little more with academy,ocs or a 4 year degree/Rotc.I think the training they get factors in for part of their pay in the post-service sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies