Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlke View Post
I think its pretty disgusting that military gets FREE housing to live where ever you want and FREE food, $1300 tax free per month on top of their basic pay, basic pay averaging like $30,000 per year over 8 years enlisted. thats $46,000 per year, a lot of it tax free. I dont know what these military people are complaining about. Then they get FREE education that costs normal people thousands. The US economy is tanking now because it has to print and borrow all this money to pay for things we cant afford. and tanking the value of normal citizens dollars that dont get all this free stuff, so that military can buy booze, tvs and cars. I lived in Colo Springs for 10 years surrounded by bases, saw it go down. meanwhile I'm struggling with a basic job in the REAL economy without all these free bonuses.
Last I saw military members file income taxes, just like you, unless they are in a war zone. BAS is $324 a month, and housing allowance is roughly $1100 a month, but they do not collect "all these free bonuses" in a war zone, because they get to live in tents and eat MREs or eat at the base chow hall.

2010 Military Food Allowance (BAS) Rates

Most military personnel, married and single, live on base, so they do not collect a housing allowance, and most eat at the chow hall on the base, so they do not collect BAS either.

BTW, does your job require you to go on deployments for training exercises and live in a tent, or a cramped ship, for anywhere from four to nine months out of the year, when not serving in Iraq or Afghanistan? They do not collect housing and BAS allowances while deployed either, unless they are married, then some of that money will still be included in their check, because of their wife and kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
No, I think CEOs whose businesses fail get paid too much.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch1021 View Post
I dont know if you look at this but you are a ****ING IDIOT!!! Come to Afghanistan, live in a fox hole wear a helmet and a 25 lb IOTV with knee and elbow pads daily, have bullets fly over your head eat MRE's daily and not see your family for a year and you think we make too much money? You ****ing ***** and disrespectful ******, got to Mexico or somewhere you don't deserve your ****ing freedom. Tax free 1300 on top of base pay? Last I checked my base pay is 1600 i make an additional 150 dollars for being over seas and 150 hazard making it 1900, before taxes after taxes I make 1341 bucks a month. And you struggle. I get a free place to live that was built by the cheapes contractor known to man, sleep on a cot and get a few meals. My schooling paid for **** I deserve that for risking my life daily. I have an annual salary of a little over 14,000 dollars and you wanna ***** i make to much you should have your ****ing head blown off you **** sucking ass face. You dont deserve the life you live you should have been swallowed by your mom you ****** ****.You dont value your life you ***** cuz you are a meaningless waste of space in life and have nothing going for you I hope you are dead
Lynch, as a fellow Soldier, I recognize your frustrations with this poster's attitude, but you shouldn't cuss him out.

The truth is that our servicemembers are compensated just about right for what they do. The Department of Defense studies what incentives are necessary to maintain the force and adjusts them accordingly. Those of you who think we're living high on the hog because we get free rent don't really understand the realities of our compensation package. Without that free "rent", we'd be making what an average retail cashier makes. Even those of you who hate the military must realize that's not enough pay to entice someone to do a job where death is a very real possibility.

Those of you who think we're all on food stamps and driving around 10-year junkers we can't afford to fix also don't understant the realities of our compensation package. We do ok, but we don't get rich doing this. The retirement benefit, which some of you make think is outrageously great, is nice, but it's also not a "set for life" golden ticket. Twenty years of constant moves, constant deployments and uncertainity takes a toll. The military is a young man's game, and most of us need to get out when we're around 40. The retirement package is what it needs to be if the goal is to encourage someone to do this for 20 or more years. Most are very burned out and ready to call it quits at the 10-year mark or before -- that's why the Pentagon holds out a nice big carrot and strings us along for another 10.

If you think America is an imperial power, and you hate all of the wars we fight, please don't direct your anger at us. Way back on 9/11 and a few years after, even war protestors understood that regardless of how one felt about the wars, it was important to support the troops. Hating soldiers because you hate the war is like hating firefighters because you hate fire. We don't start the fires (your elected leaders do), we just volunteer to put them out. I'm not asking to be worshipped as a hero or even appreciated. Just don't hate me and don't begrudge me the reasonable benefits package I get for doing a job most are either not qualified to do or don't want to do.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
The uneducated are typically known to bash the military and not comprehend how things work. Its good for a laugh.
True. They're just ignorant.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Lynch, as a fellow Soldier, I recognize your frustrations with this poster's attitude, but you shouldn't cuss him out.

The truth is that our servicemembers are compensated just about right for what they do. The Department of Defense studies what incentives are necessary to maintain the force and adjusts them accordingly. Those of you who think we're living high on the hog because we get free rent don't really understand the realities of our compensation package. Without that free "rent", we'd be making what an average retail cashier makes. Even those of you who hate the military must realize that's not enough pay to entice someone to do a job where death is a very real possibility.

Those of you who think we're all on food stamps and driving around 10-year junkers we can't afford to fix also don't understant the realities of our compensation package. We do ok, but we don't get rich doing this. The retirement benefit, which some of you make think is outrageously great, is nice, but it's also not a "set for life" golden ticket. Twenty years of constant moves, constant deployments and uncertainity takes a toll. The military is a young man's game, and most of us need to get out when we're around 40. The retirement package is what it needs to be if the goal is to encourage someone to do this for 20 or more years. Most are very burned out and ready to call it quits at the 10-year mark or before -- that's why the Pentagon holds out a nice big carrot and strings us along for another 10.

If you think America is an imperial power, and you hate all of the wars we fight, please don't direct your anger at us. Way back on 9/11 and a few years after, even war protestors understood that regardless of how one felt about the wars, it was important to support the troops. Hating soldiers because you hate the war is like hating firefighters because you hate fire. We don't start the fires (your elected leaders do), we just volunteer to put them out. I'm not asking to be worshipped as a hero or even appreciated. Just don't hate me and don't begrudge me the reasonable benefits package I get for doing a job most are either not qualified to do or don't want to do.
Very well put.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post

You said that better than I could. Thanks.

It also says something when people are targeting the military's pay....as if we're the ones really doing the damage.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,569 times
You're funny. I have two bachelors degrees and earn less than a sergeant would, even a private . I have plenty of education and very little money to brag about. I'm a prior military veteran with eight years of military service. While I think calling the salary too much is not the right way to refer to military wages, I think calling it "nice check" would be appropriate. Think about it, who makes $28 dollars an hour with no education? I was an E-5. What company pays you additional cash to eat and to pay for your apartment? I knew many people who out in town would rent together and take advantage of the system and use their BAH to pocket the money. The problem is we're not honest. How many people who go to Iraq actually go outside the wire? There were many people who exercised the whole time they were there and come here and believe they deserve the President of the United States to kiss their feet. For what???? Now, don't take me wrong I knew people who deserve every penny if not more. Seals? ---without a shadow of doubt, they deserve it!!!!!!!! Someone who does secretarial work ---forget it!!!!! Those people make less than eight dollars in the civilian sector. Military folks ask to compensated for their sacrifice, lets have everyone in the military checked for their sacrifices---you would be surprised, many incompentent people are leading our troops because laziness sometimes gets rewarded.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,569 times
Look ask the Salvadoran army how much they get paid!!!! They serve their military because they were forced to (some) and did not have the f'n privilege to "volunteer." You complain about being in a hole, I am sorry but that's like me complaining for doing hospital work all day!!. You chose that career, deal with it!!!! I certainly dont get an additional check to rent out in town and buy food. What do you do on the weekends? Drink booze, take yourselves out to club to go on the hunt for women whom you can marry, have babies and complain that the military ought to treat you extra especial for your family.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
I think they get paid too little.

The should get paid at least as much as the private contractors get paid.
Maybe even CEO level pay, since they are putting a lot more risk on the line (Their life)

Come to think of it, I never served along side nor knew anyone rich in the military.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezuniga View Post
You're funny. I have two bachelors degrees and earn less than a sergeant would, even a private . I have plenty of education and very little money to brag about. I'm a prior military veteran with eight years of military service. While I think calling the salary too much is not the right way to refer to military wages, I think calling it "nice check" would be appropriate. Think about it, who makes $28 dollars an hour with no education? I was an E-5. What company pays you additional cash to eat and to pay for your apartment? I knew many people who out in town would rent together and take advantage of the system and use their BAH to pocket the money. The problem is we're not honest. How many people who go to Iraq actually go outside the wire? There were many people who exercised the whole time they were there and come here and believe they deserve the President of the United States to kiss their feet. For what???? Now, don't take me wrong I knew people who deserve every penny if not more. Seals? ---without a shadow of doubt, they deserve it!!!!!!!! Someone who does secretarial work ---forget it!!!!! Those people make less than eight dollars in the civilian sector. Military folks ask to compensated for their sacrifice, lets have everyone in the military checked for their sacrifices---you would be surprised, many incompentent people are leading our troops because laziness sometimes gets rewarded.

Bull. First off, $28/hr is over $58k/yr. An E-5 (giving you the benefit of the doubt) @ 8 yr. service at that grade is making in current pay just under $2900/mo. That's roughly $34k/yr. That's no where near $28/hr.

If you want to use your BAH to pocket, more power to you. Are there a lot of slackers in the military? Absolutely. Are there a lot of paper pushers & folks who will never see the business end of a rifle pointed at them? You bet. But the difference is there's a possibility and a sacrifice that is not there with civilian jobs. There are a lot of people who were in Iraq and are in Afghanistan who won't ever set foot off the big base. Doesn't mean they're not at risk, at all. Green on Blue is possible everywhere.

Is there a failure of leadership? Sure, but in that case it's everyone's job, not just those who are above them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies