Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 AM

106 posts, read 316,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Contractors are the smarter ones who left the military and are making aorund 100k a year, however it is more dangerous
Its not anymore dangerous for a civilian contractor than a military member. You're forgetting that contractors are armed as well in Iraq/Afghanistan. They just don't have to follow military law as it applies to military members.

But you are right, as far as pay and allowance go, YES they do make a lot more than your typical military member for the same risks involved. Plus military members don't have a choice in deployment durations whereas the civilian (depending on their specific contract) can decide to stay as short or long as they want. Give them a raise for all the reasons people have described so far on this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 09:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Not only do they not get paid too much, they don't get paid enough.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:22 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Keep in mind that they have a guaranteed pension for life after 20 years of military service. They are among the few organizations still offering this benefit, and the military member does not pay into this pension fund from their salaries:

Military pension would be hard to match - Military Financial Advice - Army Times

Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,540 times
The people who fight in the military (i.e., the soldiers) do not get enough. The people who profit off all the weaponry/special contracts/etc. get too much.

The present war we're in has been designed to benefit the second group of people at the expense of the first group. This war is entirely about helping a handful of corporations make a huge amount of money. It does not have anything to do with national 'defense' or addressing terrorism.

I feel badly for the brave men and women who are fighting from a sense of personal honor over there, while in actual reality, they are being used by people who are solely interested in money and do not share their values.

The people in the military who put their lives on the line are one of America's greatest assets. I resent that they are being 'wasted' on this stupid Iraq enterprise.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
For the amount of time spent away from family, physical and emotional stress, not to mention the threat of death and disfigurement, they deserve any pension they get.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
spent my time in 'Nam. got no pension at all. makes me a fool, I guess.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
The pay chart was posted so I won't go into that. When a soldier enters the battle zone they pick up a little more. Immenent Danger Pay. $225 a month. Plus, while in the zone, they're pay is tax free. Big woopy. How much should they get for being shot at?

It was also mentioned earlier about getting wounded and now you get free medical. Not really. Say you get a leg shot. When you get out, you check in with the VA. You go through a physical and they determine injuries received while in the military. You are medically covered for those injuries only. Say you come down with pnemonia. You pay for medical just like everybody else does in town. The only thing you are covered for is the leg.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-11-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
spent my time in 'Nam. got no pension at all. makes me a fool, I guess.

I'm with you, except I was part of "Last one to Kuwait City is a rotten egg" sixteen years ago.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I am not sure if they are paid enough or not but I don't think a flat rate is the way to pay them. I do believe soldiers fighting in battle zones and war fronts are not paid enough but that is only half of it.

As pointed out by some, the added benefits of pensions etc..., I still believe the treatment of US service men and women AFTER they have served leaves a lot to be desired. I am of the opinion that any man or woman who does place their life on the line for that of their nation is due the best health care and attention the world can offer. One of my longest and dearest of friends served in the 196th Americal as a grunt during Vietnam and had to wait for nearly a year to receive a Hep-C test and this just doesn't cut the mustard.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I can't believe some people actually said the military gets paid too much.. and "free housing"? what the fudge is that? there is base housing and it's true you don't pay for it, but it's generally very nasty and not worth much in the first place and the waiting list is usually in the years.. So instead you get a housing allowance that pays for about a two bedroom apartment in an ok area of town.. All the while you're taking orders from people you'd punch in the face if you were a civilian, working late just because someone said to, deploying for 6-18 months or even more, and doing all sorts of other stupid things that are usually just because someone wanted you to..

There are good things though and if you play your cards right you can get some good training and for some of us, a very high and very valuable security clearance.. however, most people don't play their cards right and generally get screwed when they get out. I fortunately paid a lot of attention at TAP and ACAP, especially the VA people and am getting the most out of my retirement and disabilities..

So basically I got to do quite a few things civilians will never get to go, went to places civilians never get to visit, but also did a LOT of things a civilian would never do.. so it's pretty much impossible to answer the question.. what exact value can you place on military service? I'd personally say it's priceless..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies