Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 AM

168 posts, read 143,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Two words will suffice to explain all this contraception issue.

ELECTION YEAR!!
Well, it seems to have been either a brilliant move by Obama or a horrible one by the GOP. Probably both, since most people consider Rush a member of the GOP, even if some know he's extremeist. It was sorta contraversial to my grandmother and friends when the Catholics raised a fuss, but when Sandra Fluke was called a **** and prostitute for wanting to testify, that's when a LOT more people got involved in the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,991,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As you should be.

Whether you like it or not, at some point you are going to use health services (i.e., you are going to get behind the wheel). You may think you're not going to and you may believe that you will pay for your health care use as you go. But, with today's costs and the unpredictability of health, it has been catastrophic to the whole system to have people uninsured. They are draining the hospitals and the rest of us who have insurance are having to pick up the slack on their "events" when they land in the hospital.

For the same reasons that car insurance was mandated (for protection of everyone who might get hit by an uninsured motorist), so does society need protecting from uninsured catastrophic health nightmares.
Your argument is that of a slippery slope. There are many contingencies concerning the issue and you can not simply dismiss them with a generalized mandate. It is inconsiderate to the freedom of an individual to choose for themselves.

As for what is draining the hospitals, you might want to look into that a bit more.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:09 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,991,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
According to who?
According to the individual who decides to not own one.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,923,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What part of "It is not my purpose on Earth to pay for your life-style" do you not understand?
Are you paying for others' coverage today, disregarding their "lifestyle"? I hope so. So, stop worrying about people who have a "life-style" that involves birth control between them and their doctors. Just because it isn't a part of your life-style doesn't make for an excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
According to the individual who decides to not own one.
Not own one what? Do we now need permission from someone to own something, and use it?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:12 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,732,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Your argument is that of a slippery slope. There are many contingencies concerning the issue and you can not simply dismiss them with a generalized mandate. It is inconsiderate to the freedom of an individual to choose for themselves.

As for what is draining the hospitals, you might want to look into that a bit more.

Of course it is a slippery slope. EVERYTHING is a slippery slope anymore.

Uninsured patients are one aspect of a very damaged health care system in this country. As long as you have people running around, lots of people, uninsured and getting seriously ill, they will continue to drain the system UNLESS you allow the health care providers to refuse to treat--and that just ain't gonna happen.

My comparison with auto insurance rings true. There was probably a time when you could drive a car and not be insured. Uninsured motorists became a big drain on other drivers (and non-drivers). For the betterment of society, it was determined that all drivers would hold a minimal policy to protect others and to protect the system from catastrophic events.

We are evolving into that with health care. Everyone will ultimately be a user of the health care system. Except for those in the top 1% of wage earners, no one can easily afford a bout with cancer, a car accident, etc. without either bankrupting themselves or having the care givers get stuck with the bill (which then gets passed on to consumers).

I think the comparison has become valid.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,803,177 times
I wonder why it wasnt a big deal two years ago? Like homlessness is only a problem when there is a republican at the wheel, and the increased population of people pushing shopping carts is ignored by the media. Our college students are pretty smart and I have faith that they will in fact find their way to a drug store or a health clinic if they want to avoid a pregnancy. If they are not smart enough to buy condoms, which are very available, then perhaps they should stay out of the bedroom...and perhaps college as well.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,923,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I wonder why it wasnt a big deal two years ago?
About two years ago, Obama was clearly brainwashing "conservatives" to oppose "911 Mosque" instead.

They're an easy bunch to brain-wash and dictate, aren't they? Now, clearly, Obama wants them to dance around contraception issue. Even Rush said so (or so I heard)! He is a victim of "Obama plan"!! Like the rest of them.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 AM

25,856 posts, read 20,802,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Of course it is a slippery slope. EVERYTHING is a slippery slope anymore.

Uninsured patients are one aspect of a very damaged health care system in this country. As long as you have people running around, lots of people, uninsured and getting seriously ill, they will continue to drain the system UNLESS you allow the health care providers to refuse to treat--and that just ain't gonna happen.

My comparison with auto insurance rings true. There was probably a time when you could drive a car and not be insured. Uninsured motorists became a big drain on other drivers (and non-drivers). For the betterment of society, it was determined that all drivers would hold a minimal policy to protect others and to protect the system from catastrophic events.

We are evolving into that with health care. Everyone will ultimately be a user of the health care system. Except for those in the top 1% of wage earners, no one can easily afford a bout with cancer, a car accident, etc. without either bankrupting themselves or having the care givers get stuck with the bill (which then gets passed on to consumers).

I think the comparison has become valid.
I think it has as well.

Good post.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,583,740 times
Historically, "insurance" was designed and intended to cover catastrophic losses and not everyday expenses.

Cars might provide an apt analogy: the historical purpose of auto insurance is to cover unexpected losses from things like collision damage (property, liability, and injury) and theft. It was never intended to pay for oil changes and other routine maintenance.

Similarly, health insurance was intended to cover injury and sickness claims. But government has engaged in mandate creep for some years now and objections are increasing.

One way to frame the issue is, should government be mandating insurance coverage beyond basic injury and illness?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,391,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Historically, "insurance" was designed and intended to cover catastrophic losses and not everyday expenses.

Cars might provide an apt analogy: the historical purpose of auto insurance is to cover unexpected losses from things like collision damage (property, liability, and injury) and theft. It was never intended to pay for oil changes and other routine maintenance.

Similarly, health insurance was intended to cover injury and sickness claims. But government has engaged in mandate creep for some years now and objections are increasing.

One way to frame the issue is, should government be mandating insurance coverage beyond basic injury and illness?
This is one of the best posts I've read on the subject of health coverage mandates.

Take a look at what the government (finally!) does for the self-employed, namely to provide tax deductions for HSA accounts provided high deductible coverage exists. This is in keeping with the intent of insurance: insure yourself against unforeseen events such as major illnesses, but pay your sniffles medicine out-of-pocket.

What muddies the waters is our system of getting employers mixed up in it. Instead of offering insurance against major costly illnesses, some companies offer a veritible smorgasbord of health coverage goodies, up to and including paying for the little piddly things.

This has led to an uneven playing field but also because employer-paid coverage is so widespread it has become the norm and has raised people's expectations. How many emails and thread posts did I see from people complaining about the ACA causing them to lose benefits when to my thinking as a self-employed person all that was happening was that the field was being leveled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies