Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This Contraception fiasco is the sympyon of a huge problem............ a broken health system in the USA.
This is NOT a issue in any Country with a UHC.
Maybe we should all support the Republican's view of American health care............. ONLY for those with money............
Nope. The US version of healthcare is "I don't earn very much and you do so you should pick up my tab so my lifestyle isn't impacted" as opposed to the UK system of "we take the money out of your paycheck on a proportional basis so that everyone pays something for the collective good".

If it doesn't work that way in the UK anymore let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:58 PM

433 posts, read 460,857 times
Quote:
Why does a employer here have to have anything to do with a employees health care????????????????????????????
Same as in the UK- fringe benefit to attract the best employees........

Old 03-14-2012, 05:03 PM

994 posts, read 726,600 times
Quote:
Why was allowing women to have contraception a fight???????
Don't be disingenuous.

Did women not have contraception before this controversy started last month? Oh, they did? Well gee I guess nobody's against "allowing" women to have contraception then. They've had it for half a century now with no complaints.

Women can have all the contraception they want. Just don't stick me with the bill for it.

What's especially annoying is that it isn't even means tested. The CEO of the company I work for is female so I'm going to pay for her free birth control out of my insurance premiums when she makes 50 times my salary?

Obama can't stand Warren Buffet paying a lower tax rate than his secretary, but he's going to mandate I finance my boss' sex life. Thanks Barrack, you can count on my vote!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,515,353 times
Can someone explain to me why the contraceptive issue is such a big deal?

..because a bunch of old dudes who wear funny costumes interpreted goofy passages in some ridiculous book written by desert dwellers 2000 years ago to have mentioned that an invisible, inaudible skydaddy said contraception was bad and extremely brainwashed people in 2012 have "faith" that it's all true.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,611,058 times
Quote:
I'm afraid to say that unless a employee has some kind of health care for its employees then these employees cannot get health care...... this is no longer a perk and hasn't been for many years now... it has become a necessity for millions in America and it is now a important factor in choosing a job..........
If it's a factor in choosing a job, then that would make it a perk because not everyone has it and plans differ.

My wife does not have health insurance through her employer but still has health insurance because we're chosen to pay for it.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,384,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Nope. The US version of healthcare is "I don't earn very much and you do so you should pick up my tab so my lifestyle isn't impacted" as opposed to the UK system of "we take the money out of your paycheck on a proportional basis so that everyone pays something for the collective good".

If it doesn't work that way in the UK anymore let me know.
Excellent point.

A variation on that in the US is "I'll stick with the $7.48/hr job bagging groceries 32 hrs a week for the health coverage because the coverage is worth more than I get paid in cash."

Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,880,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If it's a factor in choosing a job...
Don't dismiss the factor of church owned businesses. They can stay out of it, instead of look for special treatment. Nobody is forcing them to use contraception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know if they pay for things "they shouldn't." I can't think of anything but I don't claim to know that. I haven't heard them mention any others though.
That is Ostrich-Syndrome at its best. Knowledge is the enemy. As long as you're unaware, the world is no less than heavenly. Or is it that these idiots tell doctors in these hospitals they run as businesses that they must make sure that the church's beliefs be put above patient's needs... after all, it ought to be "church first"?

Quote:
Insurance is a product that is purchased. When the government gets involved in making people purchase things, there are problems, and this is one.
The government is also the largest contributor to health care costs. Why shouldn't it? It is fiscally responsible. Heck, if insurance companies and employers don't want government telling them, they should be fine with government pushing for single payer system and take the pain off their hands.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,833,752 times
Anytime you have a group of people begin to expect others to pay for whatever it is they want, it's going to become a controversy.

For example if horse owners demanded that taxpayers and others pay for their hay and horse feed, it's going to become discussed and the horse owners willl be criticized for wanting something paid for by others.

Why not just pay for the things you want yourself?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,977,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
How is the requirement to purchase health insurance any different than a state requiring you to purchase auto insurance? People do that every day without pooping their diaper in anger. The reasoning behind the requirements is exactly the same.

You don't have to drive a car. Many people do not, so there is no need or requirement to have car insurance if you choose not to drive.

With health insurance, there is no choice, no options, no alternative. You are forced to pay for it. Period.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,977,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
If I drive, I am required to show them my proof of insurance. Some driving jobs are covered by company insurance, which is also required by law.

That's not an answer. Try again.

Bold...

Now apply that to health insurance.

If I live...

The answer is yes... you live. The requirement is yes... you pay.

I guess you could claim that killing yourself is an option, but people would look stupid making that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies