Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not about what I or anyone else believes, it's about what is scientifically accurate/proven... and only science should be taught in a science class, period. If you want to teach about other religious-based beliefs on these matters, offer all of those theories in a religion or theology class.
Or, as I've said repeatedly, keep all discussion of either out of public schools as neither are needed in order to obtain a working education.

Whether you're willing to admit it or not you're clinging as blindly to the "my side is right and the other guys are nuts therefore my side should be the only side heard" mindset as are the creationists you presume a right to banish to the back of the bus based on your belief in science.

You insist on trying to turn this into an I'm right/they're wrong debate as though I'm somehow advocating schools teach creationism rather than science when I'm saying if public schools can't present an unbiased view of all the belief systems and scientific theories surrounding the beginnings of life as we know it they should refrain from addressing any of them.

I don't care how much scientific proof you have to back up your point of view. I also don't care how much religious evidence the creationists have to support their beliefs. The simple fact is when your two sides are put in a position that enables them to argue with one another over this issue you never fail to **** one another off. Nothing is ever solved, the debate endlessly rages on. This nonsensical behavior stemming from the zealots on both sides of the issue does nothing to further education.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM

994 posts, read 725,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Take a look around you.

There are idiots claiming the Earth is only 6,000 years old and wanting to force that on people.

Now I happen to be both an atheist and an ultra-conservative, but I do support abortion up until the time the fetus becomes a sentient being. Prior to that, it is nothing, yet religious pukes keep insisting that we have "souls" and other superstitious nonsense.
You're free to disagree. Nobody's "forcing" squat on you.

Quote:
At university, in classes, especially those related to archaeology and anthropology, I see christian stupidity everywhere being forced upon people to the point it fosters the most ridiculous theories. You even see it in astronomy. Do G-Class Stars support life? This one (our own Sun) does. There are 1,000 G-Class Stars within 50 light years of Earth, but will the christian wonks that run the show at NASA crank the Hubble around to look at them? No, because they are freaking scared to death they might actually find planets, and then they might have to give up their religion, or at least alter their views on it.
You're complaining about the corrupting influence of Christianity upon the science of astronomy? I gotta say that's just bizarre. If what you say is true, I wonder why I've never heard any religious outcry against SETI.

Quote:
I would be more impressed if you all would quit spitting in the face of Jesus and do as he said:

Matthew 6:5 Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in churches and on street corners so that people can see them. 6:6 But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret

So, will you do that? For just once in your freaking life will you muster up the courage to obey your Jesus?

In addition to impressing the hell out of me, you'll impress Jesus too (probably for the first time in your life). Religious people should be seen and not heard.
Maybe you should re-think that ultraconservative stuff. You seem to be a little bit anti-first ammendment for a conservative. Trying to get religious people not to express themselves is more of a leftist thing than an ultraconservative thing.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
You insist on trying to turn this into an I'm right/they're wrong debate as though I'm somehow advocating schools teach creationism rather than science when I'm saying if public schools can't present an unbiased view of all the belief systems and scientific theories surrounding the beginnings of life as we know it they should refrain from addressing any of them.
That would be totally irresponsible. We teach facts as we know them and there are not two sides of facts. Teaching scientific facts as we know them is the neutral position.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That would be totally irresponsible. We teach facts as we know them and there are not two sides of facts. Teaching scientific facts as we know them is the neutral position.
As you know them=based upon your beliefs.

Keep your theological arguments out of the public education system, both those in favor of and those intent upon refuting. Thanks for doing a fine job of further illustrating the agenda-driven efforts at one-upping the other guys government has no business being involved in.

I'm now utterly convinced the zealots on both sides of the science/creation issue will not be happy until government prohibits those that oppose their view from so much as speaking. Funny how those clamoring the loudest for government intervention based on their self-assigned intellectual superiority stem from the liberal side of the aisle. Seems they're no more accepting of diversity than the Christians they love to hate.

Last edited by outbacknv; 03-22-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Well, unless this raly is in support of the mosque being built near the 9/11 site, I see no reason for it, since no Christian religion is being suppressed.
There will be a number of cities having rallies tomorrow about religious freedom. I heard Pastor Stephen Broden from Dallas on GBTV this afternoon talking about that fact The pastor agreed with Beck to appear on his radio show tomorrow morning for some more talk about religious freedom. The best words from the pastor were that although Obama keeps us thinking that economy and jobs are the main problems this election cycle it is really religious freedom that is most important? Why is this? Well once the Catholic Church has lost its freedom to operate other freedoms will be attacked by the government as long as it is controlled by the people now in control

Pastor Broden looks like a man we can trust and he admitted to having been a radical leftist in the 60s till he became a born again Christian in 1977. I never listen to Beck's radio show but surely will do so tomorrow as this man is so heavily involved in the Standup for Religious Freedom demonstrations tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
Creationism and evolution why not teach both. i see nothing wrong with that.
Simple. Because the foundational stories of creationism have been proven, to a scientific certainty, to be false. There is plenty wrong with teaching something known to not be true.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
How has the Catholic church lost it's freedom?
By running a business it has to follow the laws that all other businesses do.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Please site specific instances in which religion has been "interjected into government regulations."
Where to start. The fact that gay marriage is illegal in most states. The fact that sodomy once was. The fact that in some places you can't buy booze on Sundays. I would argue that the FCC and "words you can't say on television" is fundamentally rooted in religious beliefs. The war on (some) drugs as well. Good enough?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,786,521 times
This is exactly what America needs not some one day protest against Obama care

America needs a revival like a mighty wind by the power of the Holy Spirit!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How has the Catholic church lost it's freedom?
By running a business it has to follow the laws that all other businesses do.
Correct!

The Catholic church, one of the richest, greediest, most corrupt entities in the world, has lost NOTHING....

But Catholic christians believe that they can operate outside the law...ya know , like raping children at will, not following the law as related to business AS ALL other businesses ...

The Catholics have lost some sins. They don't consider it a sin to:

Rape children

Break US business laws

Equal rights laws mean nothing to these "Women aren't good enough to be priiests" scum.

and
Pride is no longer a sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies