Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they supported the religious freedom of being able to build a Mosque in NYC? OP? Your thoughts? Oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik
There's plenty of land. Why do they want to build it there?
Do you think they didn't expect it to be controversial and it might offend many people?
Is there a possibility of them doing that on purpose? You know to divide us even more.
Quote:
Originally posted by janelle144

They always build on sites where they are the conquerors. They have done it for hundreds of years. It will be a huge PR for them to their world that understands what it means.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:59 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist Liberal View Post
How about we stand up for freedom FROM religion?
No such right exists.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Just who wanted Obamacare? Most did not. BIG GOVERNMENT IS OBMAMCARE. Obamacare says churches pay up no matter if it violates your conscience----too bad.

This is why the rallies are formed in the first place. It would help if you read the links.
Christians have a conscience? That's news!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No such right exists.
How do you figure? The religious get to dictate, and the nonreligious must comply? On what grounds?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speaking of off-topic, how did a rally for religious freedom turn into yet another debate over Obamacare?
You didn't read the link did you? sigh.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm sure... just as they're outraged whenever a Muslim or Jew claims religious freedom, when requesting to wear yarmulkes/burkas/etc for ID photos & so forth. Hypocritical much?
I see Muslim women at the store all the time wearing burkas and some are even covered from head to toe. They are free to wear whatever they want to wear.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I wonder if they supported the religious freedom of being able to build a Mosque in NYC? OP? Your thoughts? Oh...

They are still free to do it though.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,170,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Christians have a conscience? That's news!
Lovely group mentality there.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post

I think it's good to support religious freedom... that's why many came to this country in the first place.
Just as Atheists wouldn't want Theism shoved at them, neither would Theists want Atheism forced on them.

The difference, though is that our country was founded on a belief in God or "Lord" as is most often written in US founding documents. So don't freak out if kids pledge allegiance to a flag representing "one nation under God."
Nobody's saying how to define God or Lord... but there was this basic consensus of God/Lord.

So, please, leave it at that & chill out Atheists!
You DO know that the "under God" part was a mid-'50s (1954) add-on aimed at The dread "Commie Threat", now don't you? It was a "wet dream" of The Daughters of The American Revolution and The American Legion. Huzzah! God-fearin' anti-Commies fur shur! Makes yah so very proud tah be a 'Murikuhn, dohn it, Yup!

The Pledge of Allegiance - A Short History

It was strongly resisted by it's original author, Dr. Frances Bellamy. You DO DO know this, right? Or are you just bloviating under some religious guise of authority?

FYI: Here's the original, untampered, un-desecrated and unaltered correct version, the one I and all my friends proudly repeat loudly whenever the opportunity comes up:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and (to*) the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Seems You are not educated very well in this area of our important history, are you? Otherwise, you really ought to read up a bit before you blat out errors so forcefully and pseudo-knowledgeably. I'd be embarrassed to be you, personally.... but then, I'm not ethically compromised by some outdated religious blather, and I'm also not prone to prevaricatious proselytizing.

YOur so-called version was definitely NOT a part of our founding and mandated principles. Yes, the founding fathers may have personally been religious, or certainly professed that (what else would you profess in those days if you didn't want to be ostracized? Even Darwin, who you guys all love to hate, but who was a Christian, would not release his obviously fact-based conclusions for well over 10 years because of his fear of reprisals against his very Christian wife and family. Such was the sociopathic norm of those days and people. Some of it still persists today, sadly.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Off topic but have you re-read your own posts on C-D? It may be eye-opening for you to do that sometimes.
What has my posts got to do with what you wrote??? That's really weird "logic".

Why don't YOU read your own title???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies