Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have to explain it to you? SIGH.

If someone lives in an a very dangerous high crime area where they feel that any type of confrontation could end badly it would make some sense to protect themself.

This was in an nice subdivision with sidewalks, moms with strollers, kids playing in the park, well maintained homes with nice cars in the driveway.

A middle to upper middle class area.

No reason at all to bring a gun with you to discuss something that really was none of his concern to begin with.

Maybe you're not familiar with FL, and HOAs, and old people who go around looking for things to report people on.

As I said earlier it can be anything from the wrong color mailbox, the wrong type of grass, the grass not being cut enough, etc.

They have too much time on their hands so they look for things to report.

In this case it annoyed Dooley to look out his window and see a teen skateboarding on concrete that was decided upon by the HOA rules to be used soley for basketball.

So instead of acting like a levelheaded person and going out there and discussing in a reasonable tone or just getting a despcription of the kid and letting the HOA deal with, he comes out with a gun.
You know that he picked up the weapon as he left the house for the explicit purpose of possibly needing it while he was on the basketball court? How come the newspaper story didn't report that? Oh - I see - you assumed that is what he did.

It is usually best to stick with the known facts instead of injecting your own imagination into the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,890 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. Because of FL's Stand Your Ground Law you have people pulling out guns when the situation doesn't require one.

They think someone making a face at them gives them the right to shoot and kill.

In other states this same scenario might have involved someone taking a swing at the other guy and the cops show up.

In FL it ends up with dead neighbors.

The old man should have stayed in his house and minded his own business, a lot of retired people in FL are bored so they have to go around and the "stir the pot" looking for violations in their HOA rules.

Sometimes it's reporting someone who has the wrong color mailbox, in this case Dooley got his knickers in a twist because a teen was skateboarding on a basketball court(oh the horror).

He should have stayed in his house and if it was that upsetting that this kid was skating on a basketball court then report it.

You don't come out your house like Wyatt Earp.
Should get shot for that too. Especially if it is pink!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u must be talking about some place i have never been or a part of the country in the early 1950's.
trust me if i walk up on brothers on the hood here-- the only one worried about seeing the run rise is guna be me.
Anytime a white guy is in a black neighborhood, it should be assumed he is up to no good. He is either there to buy drugs or buy sex 99% of the time. So since he has no business there, if he gets shot there, it might be fully justified.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You know that he picked up the weapon as he left the house for the explicit purpose of possibly needing it while he was on the basketball court? How come the newspaper story didn't report that? Oh - I see - you assumed that is what he did.

It is usually best to stick with the known facts instead of injecting your own imagination into the story.
But why did he think it was necessary to bring a gun to the whole thing? You mention the skateboard thing is irrelevant, and in terms of the manslaughter charge I agree, but I'm talking about it in terms of bringing a gun. It wasn't like a couple of ne'er-do-wells were shouting and harrassing people. They weren't spraying graffiti or drinking liquor and smoking trees. They were skateboarding.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I have to explain it to you? SIGH.

If someone lives in an a very dangerous high crime area where they feel that any type of confrontation could end badly it would make some sense to protect themself.

This was in an nice subdivision with sidewalks, moms with strollers, kids playing in the park, well maintained homes with nice cars in the driveway.

A middle to upper middle class area.

No reason at all to bring a gun with you to discuss something that really was none of his concern to begin with.

Maybe you're not familiar with FL, and HOAs, and old people who go around looking for things to report people on.

As I said earlier it can be anything from the wrong color mailbox, the wrong type of grass, the grass not being cut enough, etc.

They have too much time on their hands so they look for things to report.

In this case it annoyed Dooley to look out his window and see a teen skateboarding on concrete that was decided upon by the HOA rules to be used soley for basketball.

So instead of acting like a levelheaded person and going out there and discussing in a reasonable tone or just getting a despcription of the kid and letting the HOA deal with, he comes out with a gun.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Don't bring a skateboard either.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
But why did he think it was necessary to bring a gun to the whole thing? You mention the skateboard thing is irrelevant, and in terms of the manslaughter charge I agree, but I'm talking about it in terms of bringing a gun. It wasn't like a couple of ne'er-do-wells were shouting and harrassing people. They weren't spraying graffiti or drinking liquor and smoking trees. They were skateboarding.
Maybe he carried the weapon on his person at all times.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,298,021 times
Quote:
I am not missing the point at all. There is nothing wrong with the Stand Your Ground Law - it prevents people from being prosecuted for defending their life, home, and the lives of others.

Dooley was carrying his weapon and James got upset about that. Why? The man was walking back to his home - there was no immediate threat. James got killed because he assualted an older man who could not effectively defend himself without the weapon. James was with his children - he should have been guarding them instead of attacking someone.

People are making an issue of the skateboarding because it is a smokescreen that allows them to avoid the real issue. They want to disarm Mr. Dooley and anyone who carries a weapon openly. In case you have forgotten -The 2nd Amendment is still in force.
No what it does is create legal complications when there need not be any. Simply put it there needs to be a barometer on what constitutes a reasonable threat to your life.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Simply put it there needs to be a barometer on what constitutes a reasonable threat to your life.
I agree

- and anyone who kills a person when their life, home, or the life of another is not in danger should be prosecuted. In this case Mr. Dooley feared for his life. Whether there is justifiable cause will be decided on a case by case basis. The Stand Your Ground law protects someone from prosecution because they used a weapon in self defense - it is a neccesary safeguard.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Anytime a white guy is in a black neighborhood, it should be assumed he is up to no good. He is either there to buy drugs or buy sex 99% of the time. So since he has no business there, if he gets shot there, it might be fully justified.
u mean as in shooting me and taking that supposed drug and hooker money off my dead body? do the right thing???
anyway so i wonder what it must be like to be a black man scared in a white neighborhood??? i just cant imagine what that is like (unless it was like the hood i worked in for 12 years).
i have a dream.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-20-2012 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,298,021 times
Quote:
I agree

- and anyone who kills a person when their life, home, or the life of another is not in danger should be prosecuted. In this case Mr. Dooley feared for his life. Whether there is justifiable cause will be decided on a case by case basis. The Stand Your Ground law protects someone from prosecution because they used a weapon in self defense - it is a neccesary safeguard.
Well see that's the thing thats the issue here. I mean mr dooley flashed his gun then shot the guy. So i can't see how he feared for his life when he pulled the gun out in the first place. That's why you have to have standards on WHAT is justifiable. SOmeone pulls a weapon, someone is using a weapon, a group of people attack you, then that all should be cause. But just feeling your life was in danger because you get into an argument, or grab a kid and suffer an ass beating should not be enough to kill someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies