Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 03:18 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Sure sounds like you want it to happen though. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that so many flag waving, America is the greatest crowd, seem to love the idea of the US totally failing and falling apart. Do you have any idea how much the crazies in the rest of the world just love that idea as much as you seem to. I give up.
Not at all, but everyone keeps bringing it up as if it is something that every Texan wants. If you want to discuss it, I'll discuss it, but don't expect any Texan to cry and beg to stay.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Well, excuse me... I have a cousin that's a neurosurgeon, so I am gonna go write a book about neuro surgery.... Have fun....
Well, having had him explain to me the basics, at least I know more than absolutely zero. Refineries are not exactly rocket science.

(I have 3 direct relatives that are MD/PhD's, so they explained a few things to me as well about medicine, as in nerve receptors).

I am not 'writing a book', I was just getting a crash course in the basics of the topic. I have all day, every day, to learn about topics that strike my fancy. Geez.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:32 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If Texas were to secede, it would soon turn into a 3rd world country.

Hmm... What makes you think it isn't already one?

Give it back to Mexico.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Everyone is aware of that BB...today is a different day by a few years

A legal document is a legal document, until challenged.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Lyle Lovett songs.

Lyle Lovett - That's Right (You're Not From Texas) - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't think there is anyone here that realizes Texas was a Nation before it was a State. The Texas Constitution has remained the same and keeps the right to once again become a nation. It still calls Texas, the Republic of Texas, not the State of Texas.

Not in the boundaries set today, that define Texas. The boundaries that included Oklahoma and part of what is now Colorado.
Are you saying that Texas in theory could take OK and CO with them, whether they like it or not?
Interesting thought.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,298 times
Quote:
I don't think there is anyone here that realizes Texas was a Nation before it was a State. The Texas Constitution has remained the same and keeps the right to once again become a nation. It still calls Texas, the Republic of Texas, not the State of Texas.
Well, someone here definitely doesn't realize some things...

The Constitution of the Republic of Texas of 1836 was replaced by a state constitution in 1845. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1861. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1866. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1869. Which was replaced by the current state constitution in 1876.

The Constitution of Texas most certainly does not express any right to secede and once again become an independent, sovereign entity.
Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home

The Constitution of Texas refers to Texas as "the State of Texas":
Quote:
THE TEXAS CONSTITUTION

PREAMBLE

Humbly invoking the blessings of Almighty God, the people of the State of Texas, do ordain and establish this Constitution.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../pdf/CN.PR.pdf

Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Well, someone here definitely doesn't realize some things...

The Constitution of the Republic of Texas of 1836 was replaced by a state constitution in 1845. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1861. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1866. Which was replaced by another state constitution in 1869. Which was replaced by the current state constitution in 1876.
It doesn't surprise me. I believe it was BentBow a few months ago, who was the defender of US Constitution going at it against someone like me who he sees as a threat to the US Constitution... preaching that we ought to respect the US Constitution as it stood in 1776.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Sure sounds like you want it to happen though. I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that so many flag waving, America is the greatest crowd, seem to love the idea of the US totally failing and falling apart. Do you have any idea how much the crazies in the rest of the world just love that idea as much as you seem to. I give up.

Individual citizens, are more loyal to their States and always have been since the Union of States, than the Union, except when another member of the union needs/needed help

Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Individual citizens, are more loyal to their States and always have been since the Union of States, than the Union, except when another member of the union needs/needed help
I have a question for you: can you direct me to the procedures in the US Constitution for how a state is to leave the Union?
Where does it lay out how it is to be done? Is it a public referendum with a simple majority? Does the US Congress vote on it? Is it a super majority vote of the state legislature signed by the sitting govenor? How bout a public referendum with a super majority? What if 49.5 percent of the state population don't want to give up being part of the US? How come the Constitution is totally silent on this issue, except for the extreme right wing interpretation of the tenth amendment. If the founders felt it was a right, why not write that into the document? Seems like a rather very important issue to be wrapped into the tenth amendment with no mention.

Not sure about your family, but my family lives all over the US. There aren't too many Americans left who view state as supreme over their US citizenship. Maybe that is common where people don't move around much, but not in my neck of the woods. Seems rather parochial and provincial to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies