Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,363,571 times

Advertisements

If you want to cite an "unfree" market (and I'm not saying that's the appropriate term) then transprotation would be a much more suitable example.

In the transpotartion market, we can provide our own vehicles but, with the prominent exception of the railroads, government has to provide and maintain the right of way.

What's more - time horizons tend todistort our motivattion; the George Washington and Golden Gate Bridges will likely bee here for centries, but we won't.

So far more than real estate, which can usually be readly bought and sold. the benefits and costs pf transportation infrastructure tend to be distorted by the political process - a big factor in why it's been neglected of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,778,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've asked this question on some of the minimum wage threads but nobody answered my questions.

So maybe others can offer some insight here?
I don't know anybody who fits your description.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:52 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,778,676 times
Quote:
But landlords are not allowed to offer me housing that I can afford .....

Pure BS. Landlords can offer you housing at any price they choose.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Pure BS. Landlords can offer you housing at any price they choose.
Yep and most of the time it is way above a reasonable price. When rent takes up most of peoples income it is way to high.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,484,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Yep and most of the time it is way above a reasonable price. When rent takes up most of peoples income it is way to high.
Then feel free to go out and buy homes and rent em for less money.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
I bought some land and wanted to move my mobil home onto the property. The town forbid my doing that because it would "not pay enough tax and drop property values". That piece of regulation cost me thousands of dollars.

As far as I am concerned the first thing I will remove after the revolution is town zoning regulations.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 AM

Maybe the neighbors didnt want trailer trash in their hood.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,345,559 times
Quote:
I've asked this question on some of the minimum wage threads but nobody answered my questions.

So maybe others can offer some insight here?
Your question doesn't make sense. Perhaps that's why you don't get an answer. What is your question? What does minimum wage have to do with "free market". What does housing have to do with it all?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Your question doesn't make sense. Perhaps that's why you don't get an answer. What is your question? What does minimum wage have to do with "free market". What does housing have to do with it all?

Keep in mind that question came from a man who spent 4 yrs in college to get a job delivering pizzas.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 AM

17,019 posts, read 12,624,761 times
> eventually they imposed a maximum unrelated occupancy of two. <
Because the top x% dont want to live near renting scum. This is a way to discourage it. They paid more than average for their house and don't want to be bothered by seeing peasant scum that cant even afford a used Lexus.

>I lived in a separate upstairs of a single family house which was divided into two units. Downstairs was a family of SIX living in two bedrooms. (The two girls shared the second bedroom, then came a boy who slept in the living room, and then another boy who got the basement.)

They probably would have done that but federal law prohibits ciscriminating against a slew of people including children.

>More recently, I rented a guest house and when the property was sold, I wanted to buy the guest house but it could not be legally split from the lot since it would have not met the minimum lot size.<

Again minimum lot sizes protect the upper crusty people from having to see peasant scum who had the temerity to try to buy a substandard sized home in their community. Some cities take these laws to extremes, others have sensible limits.

> What does minimum wage have to do with "free market". What does housing have to do with it all?< Ill take a stab at it: OP correct me if Im wrong.

Rich conservative guy wants a free market in labor with no minimum wage yet has no problem with an unfree market in real estate so he can not have to look at renters and other peasant scum where he lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies