Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

I've asked this question on some of the minimum wage threads but nobody answered my questions.

So maybe others can offer some insight here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
What do you mean by a free market in housing?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What do you mean by a free market in housing?

Some people say government should not impose a minimum wage on employers, and wages should be set by markets and negotiation. So if I agree to work for an employer at $3 per hour, that should be allowed as a valid contract.

But landlords are not allowed to offer me housing that I can afford on a wage of $3 per hour - housing and zoning regulations drive up the landlord's costs and he must charge higher rents than people earning $3 per hour can afford.

I would support no minimum wage if those housing regulations did not make housing so expensive, I see minimum wage as the price we pay for imposing those regulations on housing.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But landlords are not allowed to offer me housing that I can afford on a wage of $3 per hour - housing and zoning regulations drive up the landlord's costs and he must charge higher rents than people earning $3 per hour can afford.
You need regualtions in the housing industry just like you do for any other product. They are starting to go way overboard but nevertheless minimal safety, code and other regualtions need to be enforced. What a landlord does on their property has a direct impact on their neighbors so comparison to the minimum wage isn't a very a good one. Having said that those higher costs are in part driven by higher minimum wage. The minimum wage is really irrelevant, it's arbitrary number set by the government that is meaningless. If we set the minimum at $100 the market will adjust to those costs including the housing market.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Some people say government should not impose a minimum wage on employers, and wages should be set by markets and negotiation. So if I agree to work for an employer at $3 per hour, that should be allowed as a valid contract.

I would support no minimum wage if those housing regulations did not make housing so expensive, I see minimum wage as the price we pay for imposing those regulations on housing.
What regulations on housing are you speaking of? Are you taking about regulations that impose heating standards, and things like running water?
If you were talking about things like minimum lot sizes or occupancy standards I could see your point.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
I've asked this question on some of the minimum wage threads but nobody answered my questions.

So maybe others can offer some insight here?
What do you mean there isn't a free market in housing? Prices go up and down depending on various market conditons or government sabotages.
If one house isn't suitable you look to buy another.
If you offer too little someone else gets the house.
If someone wants too much the house could sit forever on the market.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Yeah, it IS a free market in housing. I have rented, bought, sold....and without any lack of freedoms of mine, or the person I was doing business with. Heck, it's so free that I bought a house from a "for sale by owner" person, and I used a real estate agent, only having to pay her three percent commission for her services.

That's real freedom~

Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What regulations on housing are you speaking of? Are you taking about regulations that impose heating standards, and things like running water?
If you were talking about things like minimum lot sizes or occupancy standards I could see your point.
It's apparent the OP does not understand what it costs to build, operate, maintain and pay taxes on an apartment complex or run a business.

There are not regulations that fix prices, just market conditions and supply / demand that establishes what a landlord must charge to make a profit.

Don't want to pay what they charge ? ... move, rent a room or pitch a tent in a federal campground.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post

Yeah, I'm thinking mainly of things exactly like minimum lot sizes and occupancy standards.

I lived for years in a town which had regulatory creep, eventually they imposed a maximum unrelated occupancy of two.

I lived in a separate upstairs of a single family house which was divided into two units. Downstairs was a family of SIX living in two bedrooms. (The two girls shared the second bedroom, then came a boy who slept in the living room, and then another boy who got the basement.)

The family of six was allowed because they were related, but three unrelated could not live in an 8BR house. (Yes, there actually was an 8BR house and the owner wanted to use it as a rental, and the best he could do was convert it into two units.)

More recently, I rented a guest house and when the property was sold, I wanted to buy the guest house but it could not be legally split from the lot since it would have not met the minimum lot size.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
You also have to take into account the issue of scope.

Federal zoning laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies