Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Why must the gay community constantly shove their sexual preference down our throats? I dont get it. If you're gay, fine. Keep it to yourself. Its none of my business. I dont see hetorsexual people walking around expressing their pride in being straight.

I read an article today about a student who is suing his school for violating his freedom of expression because they are prohibiting him from wearing a t-shirt that reads "Jesus is not a homophobe" Now if he's gay happy and proud, why cant he just be gay happy and proud without causing contraversy and bringing negative attention to himself? I wonder how he would feel if another student wore a t-shirt that reads "homosexuality is a sin". After all, he's just excercising his freedom of expression rights.
"Freedom of expression" is not in the Constitution. Freedom of speech is. May seem like a small point, but when we start substituting words with others, it can lead to all kinds of misinterpretation. We know what "speech" is. "Expression" could be almost anything, from throwing a bomb to "express" your displeasure, or wearing a T-Shirt with some slogan.

This particular "slogan" is intended as a direct attack against Christians, it would seem. It is the same as saying, "Christians are homophobes." It is an "in your face" display of his homosexuality, and I agree with you on this point. Why does he find this necessary? For that reason, I can understand it being banned.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 04-04-2012 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:23 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
A. School uniforms are not the answer. Clear, consistent, and enforced dress codes, yes.
B. There's nothing wrong with homosexuality in and of itself.
C. No one has a monopoly on the knowledge of what Jesus believed in, including Christians.
D. The kid had already been told not to wear the shirt and he disobeyed; he should've been (able to be) punished and not just have his shirt banned.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
I don't understand you people.

You complain about homosexuals being insulted, but then say you are proud of insulting religious people. At least admit you want it a certain way. Stop being hypocrites by saying, "I accept everyone. blah blah blah."
I don't see any hypocrisy here. It was only a sarcastic re-use of Razorblade's own comment, lol. Seriously now, do you really think I spend all day every day insulting religious people? I hardly ever even post in this forum anyway, nor do I live in a particularly religious area.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Absolutely 100% agree and I like a lot of gay dudes they have cool personalities.

Anyway, I just have to say.....

Gay people - Your gay pride parades do nothing but hurt your image in the eyes of normal people, the drag queens, hairy disgusting men in assless studded leather chaps prancing about, blatant sexual promiscuity and debauchery you place on display for the world to see is shameful.

Ask yourself, would you bring your child to a gay pride parade?
I love gay pride! We get to drink cheap beer on the street and shop at the street vendors all day long during St. Petersburg, FL Pride. Sorry that you don't want to attend. Its the BEST party!

And yes, I would bring my child to a gay pride parade. They really aren't as sexual as the right wing media wants to portray them as. The sexually vulgar floats that pass by are meant as comedy. Nothing more. Oh! I forgot. Conservatives don't have a sense of humor.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
One could make a proper argument that taking your child to a gay pride parade is child abuse, it's poor parenting at best.
You should go to gay pride parade sometime and see all the perfectly healthy children that attend. There are hundreds of children that come. These kids (well, most of them) turn out just fine.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I am very sorry for this child.

NAMBLA was allowed to march in a parade in SF, I think it was last year. The gay parades in that town lost all credibiity for that, and won't get one iota of respect of any kind from me. How dare they?!
What BS!

This man Harry Hay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia did walk in San Francisco's gay pride parade in 2001. In fact, he probably walked in several other pride parades.

And yes, he was a supporter of NAMBLA. That one supporter walking in a gay pride parade doesn't speak for all of San Francisco's gay pride. Neither does that one man represent NAMBLA. NAMBLA is never welcome in any gay pride event. Not just because gay men don't welcome them, but because the parade would have a whole police force with guns pointed following NAMBLA.

Keep in mind that there were more people marching for the erradication of homosexuals in that parade than there were people who supported a ridiculous pedophilia organization like NAMBLA.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Why must the gay community constantly shove their sexual preference down our throats? I dont get it. If you're gay, fine. Keep it to yourself. Its none of my business. I dont see hetorsexual people walking around expressing their pride in being straight.

I read an article today about a student who is suing his school for violating his freedom of expression because they are prohibiting him from wearing a t-shirt that reads "Jesus is not a homophobe" Now if he's gay happy and proud, why cant he just be gay happy and proud without causing contraversy and bringing negative attention to himself? I wonder how he would feel if another student wore a t-shirt that reads "homosexuality is a sin". After all, he's just excercising his freedom of expression rights.
I see hetersexual people walking around expressing their pride every day of every week. I live in an entertainment strip in Tampa though, so that is to be expected.

I think your two examples are not good either. Like....."Jesus is not a homophobe" is essentially a compliment. It is a pleasant phrase that does not insult or give ill will towards anybody. Conservatives might not like the comment because they might interpret Jesus differently. But as Jesus never mentioned homosexuality even once in his teachings none of us really know what his thoughts were on the issue.

"Homosexuality is a sin" on the other hand is a highly derogatory comment and would bring great offense to countless people who would read it. Of course such a thing should not be allowed in schools.

I am gay. It doesn't show, unless you see me at the dance club with my friends on the weekend . That being said, when people ask me if I have a girlfriend I just tell them "No" and leave it at that. If they get really persistent and make it a constant question in conversation (Like my biological father did), then I am going to tell you to your face.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Schools ban these kinds of things for a reason. How would he feel if another student wore a shirt that said 'Jesus thinks homosexuals are sinners'? The school is looking to avoid a live flame war via wardrobe. This is about dress code, not first amendment rights.
I agree and that was my first thought since I had kids in school. Clothing that attracts undue attention is banned and t-shirts with messages are a number one offender.

Seriously, would those defending this t-shirt then not have a problem with another child wearing a t-shirt "And a man should not lie with another man like he does with a woman?" Or maybe a t-shirt depicting the gay pride flag in flames?

Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 AM

210 posts, read 251,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Lolling at all of the butthurt religious people getting their panties in a wad over the "defilement" of their "lord and savior". I am never sure whether I should laugh or shake my head in disbelief when I see fundamentalists demanding that their beliefs (but never any one else's of course) should receive a certain level of inherent respect. It's almost like watching a child's temper tantrum, but at least the child has a reasonable excuse.

Savagely making direct attacks on religion all day erryday,

-Lunar Delta

Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,182 times
Lol, nice. Pretty much what I expected, to be honest. I'm sure Jesus is very proud of you. But yes, I do look down on you. But then again, I am sure at least half of the board does, so that's nothing special.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 04-04-2012 at 05:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies