Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 09:13 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Of course! Any worker who doesn't have to worry about being fired or laid-off has no incentive to do a good job. And we all know that it's nearly impossible to get rid of any government worker...no matter what they do! Their income isn't tied to the job they do....even if their department (company) is running at a loss and is totally ineffective, they still get their paycheck!
That's nonsense. Most people want to feel useful, so they'll usually try to do a good job. Cracking the whip at people only fosters an adversarial work environment where people do only just enough to not get into trouble, and causes terrible health effects on employees due to living in stress and fear like that.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:26 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Living in the Baltimore/Washington corridor, I know quite a few people who are Federal Government employees. The recurring theme I hear from them is that in any given office of 8 people, 1 will do most of the work, while the others spend their time trying to avoid work, filing complaints, "working" from home, etc.

My sister, while not a government employee, was hired as a contractor to oversee the software development of a very large, very visible Federal Government website and back end. She has spent the majority of her career in the commercial world, so she was totally unprepared for the dumpster fire that is the federal government. After 1 week, she came home from work practically in tears at the incredible lack of initiative shown by many Federal employees and the lengths they would go to in order to avoid doing any actual work.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:29 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Federal workers are no different than those in the private sector, the only difference is, federal workers salaries are usually higher.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:34 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
meh, depends on what you do and where you work. There are 2 million federal employees, excluding the postal service. Generalizations are silly.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Living in the Baltimore/Washington corridor, I know quite a few people who are Federal Government employees. The recurring theme I hear from them is that in any given office of 8 people, 1 will do most of the work, while the others spend their time trying to avoid work, filing complaints, "working" from home, etc.

My sister, while not a government employee, was hired as a contractor to oversee the software development of a very large, very visible Federal Government website and back end. She has spent the majority of her career in the commercial world, so she was totally unprepared for the dumpster fire that is the federal government. After 1 week, she came home from work practically in tears at the incredible lack of initiative shown by many Federal employees and the lengths they would go to in order to avoid doing any actual work.
It is the contractors who are costly, not federal employees. Contractors cost taxpayers way more money to employ in the same positions. I can only speak to the departments our family works in: none of us ever telework and we are actually in need of QUALIFIED people.
I invite anyone who thinks this is a grand way to live to go to USAJOBS and apply today! There are thousands of openings- if you are experienced, can pass background and credit check, and have the proper education level.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Federal workers are no different than those in the private sector, the only difference is, federal workers salaries are usually higher.
That is another general falsehood. Contractors are well-paid. Most in professional federal positions requiring advanced degrees would make more on the outside- it just happens that for some there are no comparable jobs that exist

Old 11-24-2019, 09:40 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
I invite anyone who thinks this is a grand way to live to go to USAJOBS and apply today! There are thousands of openings- if you are experienced, can pass background and credit check, and have the proper education level.
Great point, thousands of federal jobs all over the country. Do you measure up? Then apply!

Old 11-24-2019, 09:43 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
That is another general falsehood. Contractors are well-paid. Most in professional federal positions requiring advanced degrees would make more on the outside- it just happens that for some there are no comparable jobs that exist

Reading is fundamental,the key word was usually!

Quote:

Old 11-24-2019, 09:43 AM

9,509 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:

I disagree. I have friends who've work in both, and they uniformly agree that there are a lot more low performers in the government ranks.

Higher salary? No. I'm a software engineer working near Baltimore. I have a good friend who graduated about the same time I did and works for the federal government in Washington D.C. (a more expensive job market). I make around $60K-70K more per year more than he does and he's much smarter than I am. Even worse, he's at the top of the GS-15 pay scale, including locality pay. In fact, I make more than the top Senior Executive Service pay rate. My salary (and many of my coworkers) are higher than that of the Vice President of the US.

However, when you factor in benefits/retirement, Federal employees definitely come out ahead.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:18 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Nah, I used to work with US govt scientists. The one manager works 7 days a week and had something like over 450 hours of uncompensated overtime at the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies