Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,020,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapplejoe View Post
Oh please, save the drama. It doesn't matter whether Zimmerman was acting in "any official capacity"....he was an adult talking to a "child" who was acting suspicious in a neighborhood which had been victimized numerous times. All Trayvon had to do was say "hey dude I live here at my father's girlfriend's rented apartment because I have been kicked out of school for drug reasons"....I'm sure Zimmerman would have let it go at that......
What drama? From what I've learned, the Castle Domain Law isn't applicable here. The co-sponsors of FL's SYG law have gone on record as stating that their legislation doesn't cover Zimmerman's actions. Again, since Martin's phone went off shortly before the shooting, you have no way of knowing what was said or done. Nor do I. As for the hypothetical post, please...save the imaginary scenarios. If Zimmerman knew that the police were on the way, what need was there to pursue Martin? The police arrived 1 minute after the shooting; if Zimmerman had waited a mere 60 seconds, this discussion wouldn't be happening. That doesn't sound like someone ready to "let it go at that." As for Gacy and Dahmer, the statement is true...perhaps you're too young to remember.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The reality is GZ was going to KILL someone. It was just a matter of when. The clowns who become one man vigilante squads, and this was a solo community watch unit, are the Dirty Harry wanna bes. GZ had a criminal record already. We are a safer nation for as many years as he remains caged.

Now he'll have an opportunity should he have any real evidence to present, but not the hearsay garbage, nor his brothers opinion of him. The 911 call is obviously a key piece for sure, and the state will no doubt use the voice analysis experts, plus by now, they know how far GZ, the executioner, stood. I'm sure they will take note of his Boo Boo that night. Love that tape of him coming out of the police car in super shape.

It is wonderful though to sense the fear in the GZ lovers crowd. This will not be a De La Beckwith 1964 or so trial.

Yes, Big Daddy has run across a situation that he can't "fix" for his son. I keep thinking of the Napoleon Complex...Zimmerman seems a candidate.

Napoleon Complex or Napoleon Syndrome

[quote] Napoleon complex (or Napoleon syndrome) is a colloquial term used to describe a type of inferiority complex suffered by people who are short.[end quote]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...leon%20complex

[quote] Napoleon Complex168 up, 89 downA short person who feels inferior because of their size. They tend to take it out on other people and thrive on power trips. Shouting at others, especially when they are in a position of power, is common. Side affects include short temper, power trips/power-hungriness, anger issues, and often a bad sense of humor.
1.napoleon complex369 up, 104 downA peronality complex that consists of power trips and false machismo to make up for short height and feelings of inferiority.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
What drama? From what I've learned, the Castle Domain Law isn't applicable here. The co-sponsors of FL's SYG law have gone on record as stating that their legislation doesn't cover Zimmerman's actions. Again, since Martin's phone went off shortly before the shooting, you have no way of knowing what was said or done. Nor do I. As for the hypothetical post, please...save the imaginary scenarios. If Zimmerman knew that the police were on the way, what need was there to pursue Martin? The police arrived 1 minute after the shooting; if Zimmerman had waited a mere 60 seconds, this discussion wouldn't be happening. That doesn't sound like someone ready to "let it go at that." As for Gacy and Dahmer, the statement is true...perhaps you're too young to remember.
Zimmerman stopped following Martin several minutes before the shooting, that is on the 911 call and indicated on the map and timeline here (post 970). He stayed in the same position, or very near it, all that time. This was within ~ 200 feet of where Martin was staying. Martin could have gone inside the house at any time. Instead, he went back to where Zimmerman was waiting for the cops to show up. Why is that?

We don't know what happened at that time, and who initiated either the verbal or physical confrontation. Based on the latest information though, it does seem clear that Zimmerman was no longer following Martin, and that Martin actually approached Z before the confrontation started.

Why would the SYG law apply? If Martin was on top of Zimmerman, beating him and pounding his head into the ground, he had the right to defend himself with or without SYG. And if Z was the aggressor, and was not in immediate fear of his life or severe injury, it does not protect him.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-13-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Why would the SYG law apply? If Martin was on top of Zimmerman, beating him and pounding his head into the ground, he had the right to defend himself with or without SYG. And if Z was the aggressor, and was not in immediate fear of his life or severe injury, it does not protect him.
I trust the FL SYG's author who said the law does not apply here. In any event, in 6-12 months when the trial starts, we'll know all we need to either keep him caged for decades to come, or set him free. And that is what due process is all about.

Hopefully, this leads , either way, to not allowing one man watch groups without putting them through exactly the same pre-screening as a police officer, or else not allowing them to carry any weapon of any kind, forcing them to solely function by relaying info to the pd, and than waiting and doing nothing more, for those professionally trained to do their jobs. I fear for how many more Dirty Harry wanna bes we have walking the streets tonight.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needTXinfo View Post
I conceal carry on a regular basis. It is a glock 26, a 9mm subcompact. I keep the gun in a holster on my waist, inside the waistband and with my shirt over it. I regularly walk around in Target/Nordstrums/Nieman Marcus/Gas Stations/Pet stores with no problem. It's very easy with an inside the waste band holster like Zimmerman had to conceal these weapons. I have never once been "made" in years of concealed carry. My girlfriend, friends, and family do not know I'm carrying unless they ask.
If we meet in person, remind me never to hug you.

Seriously, it's your legal right, but I guess I'll take my chances and do my best to stay safe without carrying a weapon.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
With the news that George Zimmerman is in custody, and will be charged with second degree murder, it's time for a new thread.

All FUTURE comments on this subject will be merged into this thread. All threads posted before now, will be closed.
Good job. I suggested that weeks ago and it's nice to see you guys following through on my suggestion.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I trust the FL SYG's author who said the law does not apply here. In any event, in 6-12 months when the trial starts, we'll know all we need to either keep him caged for decades to come, or set him free. And that is what due process is all about.

Hopefully, this leads , either way, to not allowing one man watch groups without putting them through exactly the same pre-screening as a police officer, or else not allowing them to carry any weapon of any kind, forcing them to solely function by relaying info to the pd, and than waiting and doing nothing more, for those professionally trained to do their jobs. I fear for how many more Dirty Harry wanna bes we have walking the streets tonight.
I agree with you on due process, and it's in the courts hands now. But why would you want to force NW volunteers to be unarmed? Lets say hypothetically that a NW volunteer did see a criminal act taking place. Maybe a burglar walking out of his neighbor's house carrying his TV and with blood on his shirt. Wouldn't it seem likely that this would offend the criminal and that this would place the volunteer in danger? That it would make them a likely target of the criminal? Why should he/she have to give up their very real right and means to self defense? I don't understand this "logic".

Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,697 times
Quote:
Zimmerman stopped following Martin several minutes before the shooting, that is on the 911 call and indicated on the map and timeline here (post 970). He stayed in the same position, or very near it all that time. This was within ~ 200 feet of where Martin was staying. Martin could have gone inside the house at any time. Instead, he went back to where Zimmerman was waiting for the cops to show up. Why is that?

We don't know what happened at that time, and who initiated either the verbal or physical confrontation. Based on the latest information though, it does seem clear that Zimmerman was no longer following Martin, and that Martin actually approached Z before the confrontation started.

Maybe the teen felt threatened when he noticed a creepy pedophile looking guy following him around his own neighborhood. There's no reason why Zimmerman was following the child around. He had no indication that the kid didn't live there in the first place.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Zimmerman stopped following Martin several minutes before the shooting, that is on the 911 call and indicated on the map and timeline here (post 970). He stayed in the same position, or very near it all that time. This was within ~ 200 feet of where Martin was staying. Martin could have gone inside the house at any time. Instead, he went back to where Zimmerman was waiting for the cops to show up. Why is that?

We don't know any of the above in bold. All we know is that less than three minutes after Zimmerman ended his call to the police, Trayvon was dead. EVERYTHING else is pure speculation.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:

The SYG law would apply to Martin, not Zimmerman. You're basing everything on Zimmerman's testimony, but he has good reason to lie to
save himself. We know that Trayvon's girlfriend heard Trayvon ask Zimmerman why he was following him, and Zimmerman asking Trayvon what he's doing there. Shortly thereafter the phone went silent. Here's the phone timeline; it doesn't seem to square with Zimmerman's narrative.

Timeline of events in Trayvon Martin case - CNN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies