Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 01:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,284,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I lived in the Bronx for 2 years, and had the opposite experience. As a baseball fan, I attended many night Yankee games, and used the D train. I attended many Mets games, using the D to the 7. On a few occasions, I fell asleep on Metro North trains from Stamford-Fordham where I went to college, and being young with lots of energy, on a few occasions, I awoke at 125th and walked back. No one ever bothered me; some helped when I asked directions. 125th, 161th where Yankee Stadium stop was, 190th aka Fordham Road, are not exactly white neighborhoods. But in 2 years at school and dozens of visits back to the Bronx, I was bothered 0 times.
By chance have you considered playing the lottery? You seem very lucky.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
May I ask where you got all of this information? Who are the witnesses that said they saw Trayvon on top "delivering a beating?" Can you supply a link to this information please?
The original 911 caller JOHN who saw what was happening since it was just off his patio.
You are welcome to look it up. It's been ALL over the news in many articles as long as you don't get all your news from Bossip!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And maybe not. You overcharge someone one and it gives you room to negotiate it down to manslaughter.
Yes, that's been discussed as well. But Corey's political future is at stake here; I don't know when she's up for re-election, but I doubt that she wants to be the person who's perceived as letting Zimmerman make a plea bargain that's too lenient.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This has already been discussed time and time again. Have you seen the medical report of a broken nose? Have you seen the medical report of a "bashed head"? You have not and neither have we. When a medical report along with the coroner's report that determines that there are marks on TM telltale of beating someone the way that GZ claims he was beaten, then you can continue on your tack. The eyewitness account means nothing until it is deemed credible and that is why the FBI has been questioning all witnesses.
Broken nose reported by his lawyer and his father. If false, that wouldn't look good.
Lacerations all over the back of his head. Some seen on police video.
The eyewitness that places Trayvon on top "John" is very credible because this all went down outside of his patio, he told Trayvon to stop it and called 911 before the shot happened whereas everyone else showed up or looked after it was all over.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
The witness statements I saw said it was too dark to determine who was on top.
There were two witnesses that counted because they saw or kind of saw what was happening before the shot.

John was closest, told Trayvon to stop hurting Zimmerman and called 911 before the shot. He was the closest and saw most of it.
A young 13 year old said he saw Zimmerman on the bottom (the guy in the red sweater) from a distance in the original report, but later the parents said he could not be sure of what he saw (after Al Sharpton talked to the parents I would think).

Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
You know... the longer this debate rages and the more insight I gain into what happened in Florida... the more I realize that GZ is, in fact, a pretty rare fellow... I mean... what restraint. Here is a guy who has a perfectly serviceable 9mm in his pocket but he allows a teenager two weight classes below his, to wail on him for minutes while he hollers for his mamma. Only after the kid goes for his iced tea does GZ man up and use deadly force to save his own life.

GZ's appointed counsel have said plenty to the media but critical questions like why GZ did not obey the 911 operators orders have never been answered. I mean... if GZ in fact stood down immediately as ordered... why isn't he screaming that to anyone who will listen? Why cling to a pathetic argument like "self defense" when in order to use it one has to be in a defensive posture? Where is the defensive posture to be found in the present narrative? At times like this, it is germane to reflect on the definition of the Occam's Razor Postulate, as found in Wikipedia, to wit:- "the law of parsimony, economy or succinctness. It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect". Friends, this dates back to the 14th Century. Even then they knew a c*ck and b*ll story when they heard one. Yes, it is possible that in fact, it was Martin, armed with a 20oz can of Arizona iced tea who ran up on a total stranger who just happened to possess superior firepower... remember those Somali pirates that fired on a U.S. Navy gunboat thinking it was a merchant vessel... ooops! We'd be chuckling our heads off at Martin's stupidity if it was even credible that that was what happened.

Sometimes its ok to admit that someone f'ed up. Black people mess up. Big time sometimes. Very few black people thought O.J. didn't at least know something about how Nicole died. Why can't some white people admit that GZ made a serious error in judgement? We'll have to wait for the trial... what a cop out! A trial is exactly what the defense wants. A courtroom is GZ's fathers playground. This is territory he knows. The men and women of the legal system are his colleagues. Justice for Trayvon has actually taken a turn for the worse now that it has entered a courtroom. Even if GZ is acquitted like some of you hope, it will never remove the taste. Occam's Razor will prevail. OJ enjoyed several years of freedom on borrowed time but eventually the piper was (is being) paid.

H

Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
What about the eyewitness who actually saw the "guy is the red sweater" underneath Trayvon, screaming to him (the eyewitness) for help? (we all saw in the police video that GZ had on a red & black jacket)

I agree there is evidence that we are not privy to and I would hope the state has some pretty strong evidence to support a second degree murder charge. Otherwise there is a strong possibility the judge will dimiss the case and immunize GZ from both criminal & civil prosecution.

If this happens, Angela Corey will still come out smelling like roses all primed and ready for election time...

IMHO Angela Corey's "press conference" announcing the charge smacked of Political Pandering and Proselytizing.

All that I know about Corey is that she's the Republican State's Attorney for Florida's Fourth Judicial Court, and that her district is very diverse. She risks losing many votes if she doesn't deliver a solid case, even if it ends up being a plea to aggravated manslaughter.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I thought Zimmerman was married. Where's his wife and why wasn't she standing by her man in court?
Really, even his dad doesn't show his face with all the black racists around with wanted posters and threatening violence and rioting.
How safe would it be for his wife to show her face and then later be in public with the racist nut cases surrounding the riot movement?

Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 AM

566 posts, read 958,545 times
This case is very unfortunate, mainly because the entire thing could have been avoided multiple times. It could have been avoided if Zimmerman had just waited for the police instead of accosting Trayvon, but it also could have been avoided if Trayvon simply said "I'm just coming back from the store (showing the bag of skittles and iced tea), I live up the street with my dad and his gf" when asked what he was doing there, which probably would have defused the situation completely.

Sad situation all around.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
With this SYG law, any physical fight or threat can justify killing. Kind of scary.
Self defense is the primary defense.

Trayvon was reported as running off.
Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 and asked for an officer to report this to.
A short time later Zimmerman is spotted with Trayvon on top beating the living hell out of him.
Not being able to back away, broken nose, cut head and reported head being banged into the ground...Zimmerman at that point figured IMO that if he passed out Trayvon would kill him the way it was going.
Zimmerman shot only once. Stopped Trayvon who died.
Self defense also based on physical evidence and witnesses before the shooting.

This right now is a political show trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies