Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
A police officer is not allowed to gun down an unarmed 17 year old so why should a private citizen be extended that courtesy? Was Zimmerman trying to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act? Negro hunting is against the law these days.
A PO is allowed to protect himself just like any citizen. Start beating on a cop, get him on the ground and you will be shot if he can get to his gun.

Doesn't matter if you're 17 or 27. TM should not have attacked, no matter the reason.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Just so folks know overcharging to induce a plea bargain is completely unethical and can be a basis for disbarment.
Difficult to prove and it is done all of the time.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:14 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A PO is allowed to protect himself just like any citizen. Start beating on a cop, get him on the ground and you will be shot if he can get to his gun.

Doesn't matter if you're 17 or 27. TM should not have attacked, no matter the reason.
You witnessed this "attack" by TM? Did TM drag Zimmerman from his car and start to beat on him?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,754,421 times
Quote:
You witnessed this "attack" by TM? Did TM drag Zimmerman from his car and start to beat on him?
No he didnt, but some around here know the whole story and have Zimmerman convicted already

Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
map and timeline:
This is where I went to bed last night. Please post one direct quote of GZ's that gives both his and Trayvon's location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I draw conclusions based on evidence and on facts presented. We have a 911 call from Zimmerman. We hear him running (jogging actually, based on the rate of footsteps). We hear him stop running (no more pounding foot steps or heavy breathing) very shortly after he is told "we don't need you to do that". Reports place him in the area shown on the map as E, which is consistent with his statement. We have reports that Martin ran around the entrance to the development and was running towards (what we now know was) his door, some 200 feet away. We know several minutes went by before the shooting toop place and that Zimmerman reported that he was walking back to his vehicle when confronted by Martin. That is consistant with where the shooting took place.

What does when he appologized have to do with the FACTS. His life had been threatened and he was in hiding. DO you expect him to go and knock on the Martin's door and say I'm sorry?

I'm not saying he's a good guy. And I'm not saying that he DID shoot in self defense. I am saying that what we have for evidence so far fits the facts as he presented. Specifically, that he was watching Martin and reporting his position to police. That he lost sight of him, and continued to wait for police. That after some time (based on your link, it appears to be about 10 minutes) he began walking back to his vehicle, and was confronted by Martin on the way. This fits the timeline, the locations with respect to where Martin was staying, where Zimmerman waited for police, and where his vehicle was parked.

Martin running home and Zimmerman running him down on the way and shooting him in cold blood, and taking 15 minutes to cover 300 feet, doesn't.
"We" don't know what direction GZ was running. What reports place him in area "E"? IIRC, he wouldn't give a location to the police. He told them to call him when they arrived. Where do you get this ten minute gap? Everything I have read has the shooting take place less than three minutes after he got off the phone with the police. Please verify.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
5. There was no immediate threat, TM was not committing a crime, he was walking down a street.
This is key. For all the yap about the "rash of burglaries" in the neighborhood, Trayvon was not in the act of committing one. He was on the phone, for Pete's sake!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This is key. For all the yap about the "rash of burglaries" in the neighborhood, Trayvon was not in the act of committing one. He was on the phone, for Pete's sake!
According to Zimmerman he was acting strangely as if he was high and peering into homes. We know he smokes weed and was once caught with jewelry and burglary tools.

In my view it is likely Martin was not simply yapping on his phone. At any rate he wasn't committing the act of burglary at the time.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Difficult to prove and it is done all of the time.
True but in this particular case we have two presumably competent prosecutors looking at what appears to be the same set of facts and coming to diametrically opposite conclusions. The difference being one faced intense pressure to charge and the other did not.

If this gets thrown out during the immunity phase, something many lawyers say is highly likely, Zimmerman has a good case for malicious prosecution.

Folks are comparing thus case to the OJ trial, to me it has always beared a strong similarity to the Duke Lacrosse case.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Why don't you read a little closer. No where did I mention in my post GM or TM. You made a blanket comment that a cop could not shoot an unarmed person and I said yes they can in the right situation.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
According to Zimmerman he was acting strangely as if he was high and peering into homes. We know he smokes weed and was once caught with jewelry and burglary tools.

In my view it is likely Martin was not simply yapping on his phone. At any rate he wasn't committing the act of burglary at the time.
We do not know that Trayvon smokes weed. In fact, he's not doing anything now; he is dead. The baggie found in his backpack, had marijuana residue. Even if he did smoke mj, he as a lot of company among 17 year olds, and people on this thread have admitted to same. He was "caught" with a screwdriver. If he was talking on the phone to his girlfriend, his demeanor (from a distance in the dark and rain), may have seemed "strange" to Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies