Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Challenge doesnt mean you have to be rude about it.

Insults can be more then insulting names or what not, it can be condescending also or attempting to make a person feel less then
I think it was condescending of the OP. What do you have to say about that? Like I said: THICK SKIN. Everyone in here is different, what you think is rude may not have been intended to be rude. Sometimes people act like crybabies in these threads.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Again, most of the black upperclass in America, especially pre-Civil Rights, were mulatto. Hence, blacks have a cultural issue with mulattoes. That was THIS COUNTRY.

Actually, Brazil is the opposite of the one drop rule. In Brazil, if you look white, you're white, even if you have black blood. If you look brown, you are pardo, if you look black, you're black. I know this from several Brazilians I've met.

As for Italy, it has more to do with religion and origin. If you are black African, you are African. If you are brown and speak Italian and from Italy, it depends on who you ask...and if you're Muslim, stay out of the country, especially the south.

And in America, if you don't look black, in the "black community", you're looked at as impure. I know this from experience...my experience. Try growing up looking like light brown Al Pacino and tell me how you're treated just as black as Tupac. The "one drop" rule goes both ways: it only takes a drop of white blood for you to be labeled "cracker."

And speaking about the "one drop rule"... would you tell Rebecca Hall she isn't anything but black? She has a half black mother:

Or how about Martin Gore from Depeche Mode. Is he really "black", plain and simple:

Or, less extreme, can Vin Diesel be called black and nothing else?
The sad thing about your rant is that you are attributing "Black" American achievement to the amount of European ancestry that one has in their lineage. This is actually one of the arguments that racists use to explain the successes of the Black upper class. One thing that you really need to remember is that even though some of our ancestors were given some advantages and privileges due to our connections to "massa" they were not given a "carte blanche" in life.

Black Americans understand quite well that the color of our skin runs from lily white to blue black with every minutia of shades in between. But this is 2012....the paper bag/fine tooth comb tests no longer bars darker skin Blacks from achieving great successes.....just ask Oprah.

So call yourself whatever makes you happy. However, in America, we tend to follow the One-Drop Rule and people will classify you based on what they "think" you are using the eyeball test.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,551 times
Quote:
Again, most of the black upperclass in America, especially pre-Civil Rights, were mulatto. Hence, blacks have a cultural issue with mulattoes. That was THIS COUNTRY.

Actually, Brazil is the opposite of the one drop rule. In Brazil, if you look white, you're white, even if you have black blood. If you look brown, you are pardo, if you look black, you're black. I know this from several Brazilians I've met.

As for Italy, it has more to do with religion and origin. If you are black African, you are African. If you are brown and speak Italian and from Italy, it depends on who you ask...and if you're Muslim, stay out of the country, especially the south.

Look, I'm not going to debate this because it is a lost cause, but you are so wrong on so much. You're just color-struck and for all the people with the thin-skin in here, no, that's not an insult, just what I would describe it as. I know you know what that term is, so you should know what I mean.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,765,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The sad thing about your rant is that you are attributing "Black" American achievement to the amount of European ancestry that one has in their lineage. This is actually one of the arguments that racists use to explain the successes of the Black upper class. One thing that you really need to remember is that even though some of our ancestors were given some advantages and privileges due to our connections to "massa" they were not given a "carte blanche" in life.

Black Americans understand quite well that the color of our skin runs from lily white to blue black with every minutia of shades in between. But this is 2012....the paper bag/fine tooth comb tests no longer bars darker skin Blacks from achieving great successes.....just ask Oprah.

So call yourself whatever makes you happy. However, in America, we tend to follow the One-Drop Rule and people will classify you based on what they "think" you are using the eyeball test.
Did you ever think they had advantages and privileges due to simple hard work and earning them?
Smh

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,664,448 times
Hey man, lol why are you boring everyone about this? No one on citydata even knows how you look like, how you sound. Take this argument to your family, friends. Speaking as a mixed race person, this road is going to be weird and sometimes damn confusing

I'll tell my story in a nutshell (black/puerto rican mom, dad from dagestan). I went to an all black elementary school where due to my accent (neither my mom or dad spoke good english) and showing up in ****ty clothing I was picked on. I was picked on A LOT.

By the time I got the hand of english, I wanted to forgot who my dad was. Being from dagestan, he dressed and talked in a uncool way So I went about, I was extremely embarrassed. At this point in my life, I was just a black kid. That's how I represented myself as. That's how everyone saw me as. My dad's side could go to hell.

My father got cancer when I was still in HS. Talk about a way to grow you up very quick. I started to ask him stories and I realized a whole side to me, and him I never knew about. I ended up taking a trip to Russia and then down to the 'Kavkaz' when they were having their war against the Russians. I saw some distant relatives who lived in far tougher conditions than my silly ass could even imagine. I used to think the city was real and all that, but in the end it didn't compare to anything I saw there in 2009.

My parents had two kids. My father named me, and my mother named my sister. I have a traditional name from my father's region and my sister has a generic spanish one. But I look more like my mom and my sister more like my father. It's kinda funny how that worked out. But in the end most people just assume I'm black from the way I look and speak. There were times I played down my father's race or played it up. Now I just flow with it, I'm unique and I kinda like it that way. I got a history that most people don't. Part of my blood is taking on the Russians with hunting rifles, the other is dancing away in Puerto Rico

Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I was raised mostly by my black father, from age thirteen up. We lived Elizabeth, New Jersey...not exactly a "white suburb". I grew up around the most ghetto of black people who were basically, to paraphrase Thomas Sowell, "black urban rednecks."

I and other mixed people have had just as hard a time, if not WORSE a time, dealing with black America as we have had white America. At least whites play lip-service to not hating other races while blacks? They grow up thinking it's perfectly okay to hate "whitey", and that apparently includes me.
Since when do you speak for other people of mixed ancestry? Your point of view is yours, and yours alone.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:06 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Default And these guys are twins---same parents

Black and white twins | Life and style | The Guardian

Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Default This couple had 2 sets of different race twins.

Twins of different races, 2009 | Gene Expression | Discover Magazine

Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Did you ever think they had advantages and privileges due to simple hard work and earning them?
Smh
That was actually my point.

Any advantages that some received would have been gone within one generation had it not been for hard work. And many others were given nothing and worked hard to create their successes.

I truly resent the implication that light skin translated into upper class status.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wait a minute! You telling ME about a plantation?

Here I am enjoying life in beautiful sunny southern Arizona, and some dude from a dump that he wants to leave but can't afford to is giving ME advice? Really?

When you can GTH out of a dump like PG County, then talk to me about "plantations." You don't even know what the sun looks like....when have you last seen it?
You've got NOTHING to say to me.

LMAO...please. Go play somewhere....I'm busy.
Hey, hey, hey....PG County is not a dump! (Though I will admit that certain parts definitely stink).

Nevermind....saw your later schooling. LOL :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies