Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,563,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
You try living here:

And come back to me.

My father was anything but "intellectual." I just actually read and formed my own opinions on the world around me.

Again, I live in a middle class suburb of Seattle and still, blacks seem to WANT to be ghetto. For them, black=ghetto. I mean, whites look down on trailer trash and Mexicans look down on "nacos", but blacks seem to embrace ghettodom and to denounce it is to be a "self hating black person."

I mean...why oh why is Tyrone Jackson, a drop out with a rap sheet longer than Yao Ming's arm and more kids than I have shoes "my brotha?" Do whites in the suburbs care about the trailer trash? No...but blacks, no matter what their backgrounds, seem to respect and even want to emulate the ghetto, hoodlum, criminal culture which is modern black culture.

But again, being here makes it easier...I just don't usually associate with black Americans. As a result, I'm better as a result and I pull my hair out less often.
I don't understand. Then why are you posting as if you are reporting from a war zone?

In the general sense, I do not care what is going on in any given "ghetto" anywhere in the US because I don't live there so I don't see what is going on. Therefore, I am not annoyed/bothered/concerned/upset by/angry with the residents of the ghetto. Why would I be if I don't live with it or see it every day?

(Do not confuse this comment with me not being concerned with the overall well-being of anyone)

So, if you are living in an upscale, affluent area of Seattle then you should not even have a reason to be concerned with "ghetto" Black people. The residual anger regarding name-calling from your childhood just does not add up to the vitriol being spewed by you today.

So, here's a little Black (Grace Bumbry)/Italian cultural expression (opera) to help calm your nerves...

Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix (Samson et Dalila) - Grace Bumbry - YouTube

Last edited by calipoppy; 04-28-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 05:34 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,921,402 times
Well if you're in Seattle, then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU COMPLAINING! It should be damn easy to avoid the (few) ghetto blacks that live there, and break into circles with Whites, Latinos, and Asians due to how Seattle is one of the most racially integrated cities in America, as well as non-stereotypical blacks who have their heads straight (ask many black transplants the REAL reason why they moved to Seattle).

Man I wish I was in Seattle! You may have some ghetto fools who think they "run da block" but in reality, they barely run jack ship! Try living in cities where ghetto blacks have social control (Detroit, Newark, Camden, etc.) or even worse, cities where bourgie blacks with a bit of money act ghetto (Atlanta and DC).

I'd wish some ghetto fool in Seattle would try that "you ain't black enough" line on me! I'd tell him straight up "Get out of my damn face and take your walking minstrel ass Hoodlanta or DC somewhere before I go UFC on your, brah" while wearing my Affliction T and playing Motley Crue! And if they try to jum you, call on your White, Asian, Latino, and non-ghetto black friends to get your back while sending them a message.

You may have been in Jersey (according to the vid you linked), but now that you're out of that craphole, time to let go of the anger for your own sake.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM

191 posts, read 242,927 times
Quote:
I NEVER said they had to be, only that they usually are...why does everyone thing Alicia Keys is a beautiful black woman? She's mixed. There's an example.
Maybe it's because she personally identifies herself as being Black??

I think we all know what the problem is,but I hope that at some point that you will come to a realization. The realization is this- just because you read 500 word books on the regular, that doesn't make you better than anybody else. People have said that you need to expose yourself to a different group of Black people,but that's besides the point. If you're going around thinking that a certain group of people are beneath you and you feel the need to express that the way that you have,then there must be something within yourself that needs to be worked out. People can sense that type of attitude and that's the main reason Blacks don't take to you(allegedly), not because you're mixed.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,437,832 times
Quote:
I NEVER said they had to be, only that they usually are...why does everyone thing Alicia Keys is a beautiful black woman? She's mixed. There's an example.
What? Alicia Keys defines herself as black. There are plenty of pretty black women including myself. Gabrielle Union, Whitney Houston, Michelle Obama, Diana Ross, Iman, Lauren Hill, Phylicia Rashad, Laila Ali, Janet Jackson, Brandy, Monica, Naomi Campbell, Bevery Johnson, Queen Latifah and on and on. You have issues. There's probably plenty of black women that look a lot better than you do. Grow up!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,437,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Maybe it's because she personally identifies herself as being Black??

I think we all know what the problem is,but I hope that at some point that you will come to a realization. The realization is this- just because you read 500 word books on the regular, that doesn't make you better than anybody else. People have said that you need to expose yourself to a different group of Black people,but that's besides the point. If you're going around thinking that a certain group of people are beneath you and you feel the need to express that the way that you have,then there must be something within yourself that needs to be worked out. People can sense that type of attitude and that's the main reason Blacks don't take to you(allegedly), not because you're mixed.
Bingo! Like her sh** don't stink. I doubt she is a Alicia Keys or Halle Berry. You aren't beauty because you are light skinned. I've seen some ugly ones! New Flash!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:52 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,758,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Bingo! Like her sh** don't stink. I doubt she is a Alicia Keys or Halle Berry. You aren't beauty because you are light skinned. I've seen some ugly ones! New Flash!
Likewise, there are dark-skinned black women who are drop dead gorgeous...

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,600,470 times
Quote:
For every intelligent, classy black woman there are ten to fifteen "Ladashas" and "Rishondas". Not to mention that the "classy" black women are usually not black but mixed like I am...
You know black women are not the only ones out there? Also, to not think it is all smooth sailing dating only non-black women either.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,508 times
Quote:
For the ten thousandth time, I will post the same link again:

Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Mark. D. Shriver, admixture, genetic, gene, race, miscegenation, African-American, passing, Sally Hemmings

Basically what I'm saying is that identity is three parts: genetics, cultural, and how people perceive you.

I am over 50% European, meaning only ten percent or less of black people share my DNA (when you subtract the biracials who, like Obama and you are suggesting, identify only as black, those numbers will go down even further)

So I am ethno-genetically different from 90% of blacks.

Culturally, again, I am not all black: how many blacks spent time with their FROM THE OLD COUNTRY Italian grandparents? How many had the Sicilian seven fishes at Christmas time? I grew up around blacks mostly later in life, but some of my earliest memories were of my Italian kin.

And how do people perceive me? Again, I don't look black. I look like a brown Dominican or maybe Indian or Bengali or dark Arabian. I have black people asking me if I speak English all the time...how many times does that happen to the average black? And also, for the tenth time, blacks and whites both treat me differently than the would a full member of either of their races.

I am not white, never claimed that, but neither I, nor any mixed person, is black either. Fortunately, your views are becoming obsolete as more of us mixed race people are born every year. Soon, we'll be considered by all what we always were: a distinct group with a distinct experience, just like the Coloureds of South Africa, the Pardos of Brazil and the Mulattoes of Africa and the Caribbean.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/us...pagewanted=all

In the end, I am not black and not white: I'm mixed and I'm proud. Just like white America had to deal with black pride, blacks are going to have to learn to accept mixed pride, whether they like it or not.
And for the the ten thousandth time I will tell you that Black Americans are still a mixed race. About 90% of us don't have 100% pure african blood in us. So by definition that makes us mixed. As you know we come in all kinds of shades and yes that just on the admixture that is more than 50%.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,481,508 times
Quote:
For every intelligent, classy black woman there are ten to fifteen "Ladashas" and "Rishondas". Not to mention that the "classy" black women are usually not black but mixed like I am...

I suppose you have data to back up this statement.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,990,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
And for the the ten thousandth time I will tell you that Black Americans are still a mixed race. About 90% of us don't have 100% pure african blood in us. So by definition that makes us mixed. As you know we come in all kinds of shades and yes that just on the admixture that is more than 50%.
Let me explain this again: there is a difference between being mixed and having ancestors from way back who were of a different race. Example: was J. Edgar Hoover mixed? He had some black ancestors:

Was J. Edgar Hoover Black? | Essence.com

Or how about Rebecca Hall, she's 1/8th black. Is she just as mixed as Alicia Keys, no difference at all and is she "black"?

And spare me...SPARE ME any mention of "the one drop rule." If you can go back sixty years to when the one drop rule meant anything than I can go back 2,000 years and say guess what? Mama was a Roman citizen, I have the blood or Mars and Romulus in my veins so all French (Gauls) and Brits (Celts) have to call me master:

Going into the past is pointless, so lets keep this to the present. Anyway, now, if Rebecca Hall is white with some black ancestors then what is Snoop Dog? I'll tell you: he is black with 6% European DNA (as shown on Lopez Tonight) and hence, he is black with some white ancestors.

Oh...and you CONVENIENTLY IGNORED how I am not entirely culturally black either. So again I'll ask you: how many black Americans grew up around grandparents who spoke Italian? How many of them were told stories of grandfather's escape from Mussolini's government and how he went back to find Sicily changed after the war? How many of them eat the seven fishes at Christmas and were baptized and confirmed Catholic? Well?

And, for the twentieth time, how many times did you think Snoop Dog got called a S***ck by blacks and told to go back to Mexico? How many times was Snoop Dog or any other black man in America mistaken for Indian or Bengali? Literally one FOUR TIMES IN MY LIFE have people thought I'm black by looking at me. I remember because each of the four times I was shocked because it never happens. I usually get Dominican (the brown, mixed kind) or Mexican (mestizo, mixed race) or something else from Latin America...see a pattern? I look mixed race, while blacks with a distant white ancestor look black and whites with a distant black ancestor look white.

I am genetically, culturally and social appearance wise distinct from black American, as are all mixed people...AND BEFORE YOU CALL ME SELF HATING, I am also culturally, socially and genetically distinct from White Americans too...so do I hate my white side as well?

Even if you just are going by DNA and nothing else (which I never did, btw) a 39% difference ( my probably 56% European to the high end of the average 17% European in most blacks) is still huge. Add to that culture, appearance etc and we are distinct from both blacks and whites.

Face it: MY EXPERIENCE IS NOT THE BLACK AMERICAN EXPERIENCE AND I AM NOT BLACK OR WHITE. Just as America is going to have to relent and join the rest of the world in things like universal health care and the metric system, we are going to have to relent and join the rest of the world in acknowledging what most of us mixed people have been saying all along: we are our OWN PEOPLE, BELONGING NEITHER TO BLACKS OR WHITES. So put us in the category of Pardo/mulatto/coloured and not black, whether you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies