Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Why do they have to say anything? Do you expect a full bread white to say "Yeah, it's wrong what the KKK is doing?
Morris Dees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can find his pure, Afro-Aryan, tall dark African Superman equivalent, who actually says it's wrong when blacks discriminate and are downright Naziesque in their treatment of other races, including mixed people, I'll listen.

Quote:
I wouldn't expect someone white or black to say something. You shouldn't have to denounce something someone does just because they are in your race.
No, you should say it because it's the descent, human thing to do.

Quote:
You can't say sorry or really talk on something you have nothing to do with. I don't know why you keep clumping all blacks in one group like they all stick together.
Ah, maybe it's that "black community" crap I hear about all the time...

Quote:
Nobody ever said that. But, not all blacks hate mixed people like you are trying to pass on.

You keep associating hate for mixed people with the AA population. You act like it runs only in the AA population. You claim you understand that other races do it too but you seem to want the blacks to look extra guilty. You want to point them out the most.
For the tenth time, I never said all blacks hate mixed people. And I know plenty of whites think I'm just a brown N*******. All I am saying is that if anyone thinks that mixed people are accepted into the "black community" seamlessly and that there isn't a problem with accepting mixed people there is kidding themselves.

I only point out blacks because no one is disputing that whites and others will never be completely accepting of mixed folks, but people keep insisting that the "black community" is accepting of biracials, which simply is not the case.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,981,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I grew up on the West Coast in a community that is predominantly middle/upper middle class Black and Black Creole. Having light skin or being bi/multiracial was not an anomaly or unusual so I can't relate to the OP's feelings of being ostracized. But I think that he does himself a great disservice to "demonize" either side of his ancestry. He should instead simply exert more of an effort in finding a circle of friends who have had a more diverse, broader "Black" experience in America.

Also, I must add that he is not the first person to believe that he can wish away all of his problems by attempting to distance himself from who/what he is...but those people usually end up quite "lost."
I grew up in an East Coast that was damn close to being a ghetto...completely different experience.

As for "being lost"...as sad as it is to say, since coming to Seattle, I have not made a single black friend or know any blacks personally. I know mixed people, whites, Asians, and a few Africans, but no American blacks...and even sadder but honestly true, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Modern black American culture, which I grew up around, I find to be disgusting. I do not like hip-hop or that R&B crap and never liked "soul food" (my arteries clog just looking at that stuff) I find the black church to be ridiculous and wasn't raised in it (Catholic, like my mother, but left years ago) Even though I grew up around "the black experience" I always felt and was treated as an outsider. If they don't like me, and I don't like them...well, the answer is obvious.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:42 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I''m not gonna comment on how some pure Africans can be lighter skinned, because you proved that already, but I will say this: pictures one and two clearly illustrate why African women are so much prettier then Black American women.
You do realize they are wearing weaves right?
Yet you denounce the samw thing on black american women?

Also,Nikki Minaj IS Carribean,and mixed to boot. Yet I thought you were attracted to Caribbean women?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
I grew up in an East Coast that was damn close to being a ghetto...completely different experience.

As for "being lost"...as sad as it is to say, since coming to Seattle, I have not made a single black friend or know any blacks personally. I know mixed people, whites, Asians, and a few Africans, but no American blacks...and even sadder but honestly true, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Modern black American culture, which I grew up around, I find to be disgusting. I do not like hip-hop or that R&B crap and never liked "soul food" (my arteries clog just looking at that stuff) I find the black church to be ridiculous and wasn't raised in it (Catholic, like my mother, but left years ago) Even though I grew up around "the black experience" I always felt and was treated as an outsider. If they don't like me, and I don't like them...well, the answer is obvious.
It think that it is sad that your perception of "modern Black American culture" is so narrow.

FYI, I (a Black woman) was raised Roman Catholic as were the majority of the Black people whom I grew up with or know. There are many nuances to "Black culture" in America. You seem to be an educated man, so why not go outside of your boundary of bias based on childhood experiences and tap into the other aspects of Black American culture.

It is evident from your posting that your parents did not know, have the desire or have the connections to join any of the several organizations that exist solely for the purpose of giving a cultural "safe harbor" to Black children of privilege. I think that had you been exposed to a few of these groups it would have been a counterbalance to the negativity that you experienced.

And while there is nothing wrong with having a diverse group of friends, you have unresolved issues with Black Americans and it would be wise to resolve them in order to move forward in your life without a chip on your shoulder. There are many professional and social/common interest organizations in existence where you will be able to meet Black Americans who are the antithesis of what you experienced in your childhood. The NBS, the ATA, the NABS are just a few examples. Expand your experiences so that you can soften these edges and erase some of the bitterness.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
I still can't understand how the OP has extended his 15 minutes into 67 pages.

Hasn't this been beaten to death? No minds have been changed here.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Again, that is NOT TRUE:

"Earlier, cruder studies, done before direct genetic testing was feasible, suggested that African-Americans were 25 or even 30 percent white. Shriver's project is not complete, but with data from 25 sites already in, he is coming up with 17-18 percent white ancestry among African-Americans. That's the equivalent of 106 of those 128 of your ancestors from seven generations ago having been Africans and 22 Europeans."

"According to Shriver, only about 10 percent of African-Americans are over 50 percent white."

Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites? by Steve Sailer for UPI; Mark. D. Shriver, admixture, genetic, gene, race, miscegenation, African-American, passing, Sally Hemmings

In other words, only about ten percent of "blacks" are as mixed as I am, and fewer still have experience with living non-black relatives.

Plus, a lot of the difference in appearance stems from mixture of different groups in Africa, not just Europeans.

What I am getting at which seems to be hard to understand is this: mixed race people in America, like EVERYWHERE ELSE, have more in common with each other than with either other group. To say that the biracial experience is the same as the black experience is absurd: I have YET to meet a dark skinned black who was called "wet back" by another dark skinned black because he was mistaken for Latino.

Genetically, culturally, etc, mixed people have more in common with each other than with either blacks or whites, and our experience is not the same as the black American experience. Every other place on Earth understand this but in America, as usual, things as backwards.
My fault. I assumed the 100% meant pure. If you are 83 % one thing and 17% something else does that make you pure? I never said the "african americans are as mixed as you, I just said they are a mixed people. Now you can go off and ask Dahomey, a pure Black, if she thinks most African Americans are pure Blacks or not. Go ahead. I will await the conversation.

Otherwise, I wish you the best in your travels and hope that the wounds inflicted upon you by your family will heal over time and wash away your prejudice.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,020 times
Quote:
I always felt and was treated as an outsider. If they don't like me, and I don't like them...well, the answer is obvious.
The blacks in your family don't like you. Express your anger with them but don't try to take the whole black race down.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,020 times
Quote:
If you can find his pure, Afro-Aryan, tall dark African Superman equivalent, who actually says it's wrong when blacks discriminate and are downright Naziesque in their treatment of other races, including mixed people, I'll listen.

No, you should say it because it's the descent, human thing to do.

Ah, maybe it's that "black community" crap I hear about all the time...

For the tenth time, I never said all blacks hate mixed people. And I know plenty of whites think I'm just a brown N*******. All I am saying is that if anyone thinks that mixed people are accepted into the "black community" seamlessly and that there isn't a problem with accepting mixed people there is kidding themselves.

I only point out blacks because no one is disputing that whites and others will never be completely accepting of mixed folks, but people keep insisting that the "black community" is accepting of biracials, which simply is not the case.

You really expect blacks to denounce every hate crime that another black has done?

That's like expecting Italians to denounce every crime the mob has done.
Would that be a descent, human thing for them to do?

Blacks don't have to speak on what another black has done. They don't have to denounce it and apologize to anybody because it has nothing to do with them.

If a mixed person went around committing hate crimes would you go around telling people you are sorry that a person of your kind is hurting the community?

It sounds pretty silly to me.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
I never said all blacks were like this, I only said that blacks discriminate against mixed race people too and everyone seems to think that back in "the hood" they're all sitting with their mixed "brothers" and "sisters" singing the rap remix of Kumbaya. I have had whites and blacks hate me because of the way I was born, and I have had whites and black accept me...how hard is that to understand?

I will openly admit that I have never heard of this happening, not to say that it does'nt but I still wonder how much of this can be attributed to your personality/Napoleon syndrome? What makes me think this way? Well you did say that your sister is well recieved but yet you are not, does she look like you? I have seen whites pick on biracial children, but only in all white neighborhoods, I have also seen black kids pick on biracial one as well but they are generally accepted into the community. One of my good friends as two biracial children a boy and a girl. They are both very attractive kids but the boy was picked on, not because of ethnicity but because of his height, he was rather short for his age. As time went on he was also accepted by the other blacks and is now in the Navy doing quite well.

Unless the oppressor is black, than it's okay
Oppression by anyone is never "ok" regardless who does it

Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You do realize they are wearing weaves right?
Yet you denounce the samw thing on black american women?

Also,Nikki Minaj IS Carribean,and mixed to boot. Yet I thought you were attracted to Caribbean women?

It just proves that he can't tell nor know the difference between Black americans or any other blacks, unless they are in traditional garb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies