Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

I hope Mitt Romney is elected and abolishes HUD. Section 8 is an awful program and needs to be dismantled. Nice areas are turning into slums because of Section 8 residents not to mention crime and school quality deteriorates.

Of course Obama made things worse.

James Bovard: Raising Hell in Subsidized Housing - WSJ.com

Quote:
But the dispersal of public housing residents to quieter neighborhoods has failed to weed out the criminal element that made life miserable for most residents of the projects. "Homicide was simply moved to a new location, not eliminated," concluded University of Louisville criminologist Geetha Suresh in a 2009 article in Homicide Studies. In Louisville, Memphis, and other cities, violent crime skyrocketed in neighborhoods where Section 8 recipients resettled.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-17-2012 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Since Mitt refuses to name the agencies he plans to cut, it is only left to speculation.

So it was Obama and not the recession that created more poor people?

It's comical for Romney to play this game after being on record dinging Obama about lack of transparency.

All for naught anyway...no way Romney wins, and the GOP has to smile with this frosted dog turd and call it a cupcake for the next 6 months.

Priceless.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Only the disabled and elderly should get permanent support on social programs.

Non-citizen permanent residents on the dole should be removed and probably asked to vacate the country if they can't support themselves.

People using the system for more than a few months for more than some food stamps need to go to work and pay taxes.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Too bad that's a subscription-only article, I'd like to read the whole thing. Section 8 is a freakin mess.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Since Mitt refuses to name the agencies he plans to cut, it is only left to speculation.

So it was Obama and not the recession that created more poor people?

It's comical for Romney to play this game after being on record dinging Obama about lack of transparency.

All for naught anyway...no way Romney wins, and the GOP has to smile with this frosted dog turd and call it a cupcake for the next 6 months.

Priceless.
Read the article. His policies have made policing bothersome HUD residents virtually impossible. Since HUD recipients are disproportionately Black and Hispanic and action against them is denounced as racist never mind some of the biggest critics of Section 8 are Black middle class residents.

Oh not a big fan of polls so early but check this out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1062583

Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Role bad that's a subscription-only article, I'd like to read the whole thing. Section 8 is a freakin mess.
Copy the title and paste it into google, click on the first link to the article you see to the WSJ site. You should be able to get a free pass and read the entire article.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I doubt Romney would end HUD. He has no pair big enough. Romney saying he's going to cut departments is like Gingrich pledging to America in his "contract" that the DOE will be cut. Not gonna happen

Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Only the disabled and elderly should get permanent support on social programs.

Non-citizen permanent residents on the dole should be removed and probably asked to vacate the country if they can't support themselves.

People using the system for more than a few months for more than some food stamps need to go to work and pay taxes.
There are some people who do work, make a living, maybe not as rich as they would like but make a living, and they still, somehow, qualify for Section 8.

Many years ago, when I lived in Seattle, I started dating this guy. Time wore on, I eventually made my first visit to his apartment building. Wow, it was new, nothing fancy but it was new, decent, better than my own.

More time wore on and I found out, it was SECTION 8 HOUSING! He worked for fricken Amazon.com making decent enough money that he did not NEED Section 8 housing.

It's not just people who don't want to work, it's also people who do work but scam the system.

(P.S. Yep, it pissed me off so bad, that was the end of that relationship.)

Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Public housing originally had MINIMUM income requirements which kept out the welfare class, until "welfare rights" activists got Congress to open the floodgates in 1969.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of uber wealthy slum landlords that would object to that. You might want to get rid of any REITs you might have, their NAV will fall off a cliff if mittens gets his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies