Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:46 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let's see, how many adults were there?

Remove her from the class room, take her somewhere else, hold her damn arms and legs till she calms the hell down. There was no need to hand cuff her, put her in a police car and haul her off to jail, that is ridiculous.
Uh huh- and then you've for four to eight people being sued for "touching the child inappropriately" or "molesting that poor, sweet, innocent young girl". It's easy to say "remove her from the class room" as if you can just nod your head like Jeanie or twitch your nose like on Bewitched and the kid would magically disappear from the classroom and be placed safely in the principal's office. Unfortunately, reality doesn't work that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Maybe a little lesson on impulse control could help.

If it were my kid, she'd still be grounded.

And for those cuffs to hurt, she would have to be really big, or the cuffs child-sized.

A proper punishement is for her to clean up the mess she made and apologize to the people she hurt, as well as pay for the damage she did.

worked for my kids.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Maybe a little lesson on impulse control could help.

If it were my kid, she'd still be grounded.

And for those cuffs to hurt, she would have to be really big, or the cuffs child-sized.
Some b-ball and weight lifting with general population, along with a diet of bread and water will get her down to proper weight for her age in no time.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Best and most accurate post here. Thank you for being so truthful, and i too have a family member who has an autistic child. And at any time they can act out for the smallest of detail. They can be set off.

However i do not know if a child at this age, being hand cuffed, was the right thing to do.

Obviously if this child is acting out in this way at school, most likely she is acting in this same manner at home. It is the job of all parents to teach their child acting out in this way, will result in consequences, whatever they may be. Parenting skills these days are lacking.

I have seen it time and time again when out, when a child is kicking his feet, screaming, throwing his hands in the air, punching the air, screaming, and the parents sit by, and do nothing. That is teaching the child he can do these acts of being out of control, with no consequences at all in place.
I agree with you post, parenting, and teaching right and wrong, begins at home. Failure to do so, is just blaming others for you own lack of parenting skills needed for a well rounded child..
Agreed..
Its very easy to sit back and condemn the school staff, the police or anyone else who was involved besides the parents and the child....
All children can and will act out, but to what degree?
I nor 99.9% of the posters here don't know this child. We only had a short article to read. What we do know is that other children were in harms way.
The staff could or should have done.... We keep hearing. Yes and the same outraged parents could sue them.
That is today's society's answer to everything.
I didn't see anywhere that the parents are accepting any ownership of this child's behavior. I did not see them apologizing for the actions of their child.
I only saw where they were blaming everyone else for doing something wrong. Typical of today's society also.
As I said before the cuffs may have been over the top. I don't know how out of control the child was.
My gut tells me that any lesson this child might have gained from this will be lost as the parents focus on the actions of the police/school instead of on the root cause of the incident which is the behavior of the the child.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:40 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
If the parents FAIL at doing THEIR job, in getting the child prepared for social interaction and PROPER behavior, then SOMEONE needs to try to speed up that learning process so she can move FORWARD in her education.
Sometime it's not the parents fault. Maybe they tried all they can but she is just out of control. Maybe she has mental issues and is just now shoing the signs and it makes it hard for her to learn right from wrong.

You can't jump to conclusions.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Uh huh- and then you've for four to eight people being sued for "touching the child inappropriately" or "molesting that poor, sweet, innocent young girl". It's easy to say "remove her from the class room" as if you can just nod your head like Jeanie or twitch your nose like on Bewitched and the kid would magically disappear from the classroom and be placed safely in the principal's office. Unfortunately, reality doesn't work that way.
That's why schools have cameras.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
From the OP's link:

"Salecia Johnson, 6, was accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture in an outburst Friday.."

Does that sound like a typical 6 year old ? I would consider THROWING furniture a danger and threat to other students.
I'm with the police on this one.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Default Aaaaaaagh!!!! 6 year old handcuffed and arrested for assault and damage to property!

This is fracking NUTS, when policy overrides common sense and adults are incapable of dealing with a 6 year old that they are supposed to be experts in handling

The family of a 6-year-old Georgia girl is upset at police and school officials after the girl was handcuffed and taken to a police station for allegedly throwing furniture, tearing items off the walls and knocking over a shelf, which injured the principal.

U.S. News - Kindergartner handcuffed, taken to police station after allegedly throwing tantrum -- and furniture

Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,773 times
""She has mood swings some days, which all of us have mood swings some days," she told WMAZ-TV. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

No, that kind of behavior, if true, is not a mood swing. That is being a violent brat. I normally don't agree with these kind of cases where the children are arrested, but in this situation, if a SIX YEAR old is lashing out like that, it needs to be stopped and obviously the parents are coddling her too much. NO six year old should be acting like that

Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,233,607 times
Normally medical personnel would put such a child onto a papoose restraint board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies