Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 07:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,933,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Romneys father was born in Mexico to wife #5 who he married in Mexico, having fled the uS with the firt four wives. Does that make Romney hispanic? Would it if his name was Lopez?

We are The Borg - YouTube
Depends on whose doing the counting. Some Hispanics claim Romney, others WON'T for some sort of BS reason.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,733,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Depends on whose doing the counting. Some Hispanics claim Romney, others WON'T for some sort of BS reason.
Considering his immigration policies would he have excluded his father?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,317,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The more telling question is DOES ROMNEY CLAIM HIS OWN FAMILY'S historical roots in Mexico to appeal to Mexican-American voters who are by far the biggest single block of Hispanic voters or is he afraid to?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,681,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Funny that the focus is on Hispanics in this thread yet some Hispanics who arrived in the 1960s have actually assimilated and still retain the U.S. culture/values common to the Great Generation. Moreso than the white/black adults/young adults/children of today who have morphed into a culture which bears little bearing to what we perceived as admirable aspects of U.S. culture.

Why did the aforementioned assimilate? Because they came from professional conservative backgrounds with strong work ethics and from countries that valued and admired the United States. It was not seen as just a place to work but a place to livve and emulate. They also had values similar to those in place in the United States at the time of entry.

What exactly is U.S. culture now? I doubt we would agree and would depend if we were right or left.
Most are not assimilating even into the 3rd generation.

What exactly is U.S. culture now?
For a start if you do not know or refuse to be a part of it. English is a good start.

Many have failed at this.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Look at laws like Arizona's S.B. 1070 which would have given law enforcement officers the right to basically accost anybody who "Looked" like they might be an illegal immigrant.

Now do you mind telling me how the hell you set the criteria for who "Looks" like an illegal immigrant?
Where in the law does it say that?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,211,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Most are not assimilating even into the 3rd generation.

What exactly is U.S. culture now?
For a start if you do not know or refuse to be a part of it. English is a good start.

Many have failed at this.
Based on the charts In post 995 why did you bother wasting anyone's time with nonsense posts like this? Your was completely wrong.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
You white people make me laugh. Assimlate...give me a effin break.

WTF you people want? You want Latinos to eat Mash Potatoes and meatloaf?
You want Latinos to use Dude and Rad in their vocabulary? WTF do you people want?

Why is it so effin hard for white people to accept people who are DIFFERENT from them and from different CULTURES.

Get OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you know I'm white? I could be black or green.

Whats wrong with Mash Potatoes and meatloaf?
Whats wrong with the word Dude and Rad?

Quote:
Why is it so effin hard for white people to accept people who are DIFFERENT from them and from different CULTURES.
Why can't they accept & embrace American culture?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The whole issue is a red herring based on fear, ignorance and an appalling amount of bigotry.

With each successive generation higher percentages of Hispanics speak English.

The whole issue is based on fear. Much like the same fear people had when there mass influxes of immigrants during the early 20th century. Unfortunately this country has an ugly history in terms of how it treats its immigrants.
A number of posts back you along with others were condemning assimilation. You despise the American culture so much that you were stating that you were glad that it was being replaced with a hispanic culture.

It should not take 4 generations to learn English -- other groups learn English the first generation. Why the delay for just this one group?

Keep in mind many Americans are 4th generation and their families are not just now learning English. Hispanics are being encouraged to hold on to their own country's cultures and languages and even citizenship.

I live in a hispanic region and I've lived in areas that had other predominate groups and in those other regions, parents encouraged their kids to learn English but you see much resistance to that here.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Based on the charts In post 995 why did you bother wasting anyone's time with nonsense posts like this? Your was completely wrong.
You are very naive

This does not include the 12-25 million illegals in the country.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
How do you know I'm white? I could be black or green.

Whats wrong with Mash Potatoes and meatloaf?
Whats wrong with the word Dude and Rad?

Why can't they accept & embrace American culture?
Same reason you see so many of them waving a Mexican flag. They feel less guilty about abandoning their country if they paste Mexican flag stickers all over their vehicles and refuse to speak English.

They did nothing at all for their own country but flee it and make up all kinds of excuses why they left -- like that everyone is starving to death in their country, and that they couldn't afford all the children they went and had if they stayed in their own country. They pretend to love their country so they have to refuse to assimilate to try and prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.