Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So many of the voters of this country want to see photo IDs at the polls and surely some of them are Democrats. I bet some if not a huge number of them are Democrats. All we dummies seem to think that using that method of holding off voter fraud at the polls would work without discriminating, at all.

73% Think Photo ID Requirement Before Voting Does Not Discriminate - Rasmussen Reports™
You want the government to force people to purchase an ID, so they can vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As I have said before on CD, I can't believe that some of those who constantly warn about the evils of 'the government' suddenly think that it is right and proper for 'the government' to create more and more rules that could restrict an otherwise eligible person's right to vote.

Indeed, the right to vote is, perhaps, our greatest right as Americans. I have long believed that there is a presumption that a person showing up at a polling station has the right to cast a vote (indeed, 'id cards' is a fairly recent invention). For instance, we had a thread not too long ago about a WWII veteran who was denied his right to vote because he did not have ID on him. Shameful.

I am also one who distinguishes between fraudulent 'voter registration' versus actual 'voter fraud'. There have certainly been famous instances of fraudulent voter registration, such as Porky Pig. However, Mr. Pig, of course, never actually showed up to vote.

Voltaire once said something to the effect that 'it is better that ten guilty men go free than one innocent man be punished'. I would add that it would be better for 10 ineligible people to vote, than deny the vote to the one eligible person (like the WWII vet). Again, various studies over the decades show that the actual rate of voter fraud is miniscule.

This should not be a Liberal v. Conservative issue. It should be an American people v. Government issue. If you believe that the government should be in the business of imposing barriers to vote, you are for Big Government.
There have been two recent court cases where more stringent voter ID laws were struck down and in both, the anti-ID side brought in actual citizens who were denied the right to vote by same requirements. The pro ID side didn't produce any evidence illegal voting was going on in any significant manner.

The Judge said both illegal voting and denying citizens the right to vote is wrong. And he ONLY found evidence of the latter.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
So someone who wishes to fulfill their patriotic duty and participate in the voting process is unable, in the 4 year interim between elections, to obtain a free ID? ???????? Breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that constitutes discrimination against, in Van jones words, "blacks and people of color" ?

In what alien universe do the anti voter ID people live in???

How insulting to the people that the Dems/Van jones, et al pretend to represent as it makes the "blacks and people of color" appear as ignorant, uninformed, disinterested and of course victims that need legislative protection in order to participate in the voting process.

the Dems only hope of winning the Nov election is to stack the polls at the last minute with whatever slugs, deceased and mercenary opportunists they can round up.

Their strategy is very clear as they use anyone they can as pawns in their new world order they hope to breath life into after an Obama win in Nov.

FOUR YEARS BETWEEN ELECTIONS AND POTENTIAL VOTERS ARE UNABLE TO OBTAIN FREE ID REQUIRED NOT ONLY TO VOTE BUT TO DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE A FUNCTIONING HUMAN WOULD BE EXPECTED TO DO???????????????

Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So someone who wishes to fulfill their patriotic duty and participate in the voting process is unable, in the 4 year interim between elections, to obtain a free ID? ???????? Breathtaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that constitutes discrimination against, in Van jones words, "blacks and people of color" ?

In what alien universe do the anti voter ID people live in???

How insulting to the people that the Dems/Van jones, et al pretend to represent as it makes the "blacks and people of color" appear as ignorant, uninformed, disinterested and of course victims that need legislative protection in order to participate in the voting process.

the Dems only hope of winning the Nov election is to stack the polls at the last minute with whatever slugs, deceased and mercenary opportunists they can round up.

Their strategy is very clear as they use anyone they can as pawns in their new world order they hope to breath life into after an Obama win in Nov.

FOUR YEARS BETWEEN ELECTIONS AND POTENTIAL VOTERS ARE UNABLE TO OBTAIN FREE ID REQUIRED NOT ONLY TO VOTE BUT TO DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE A FUNCTIONING HUMAN WOULD BE EXPECTED TO DO???????????????
Another right wing zombie post. They are impervious to facts. Facts, like some poor people are in dire straights, facts like many near homeless poor don't have ID. Facts like illegal voting is a red herring that doesn't occur in any significant manner. .....they just keep coming....New World Order...New World Order...blah blah blah...lol

Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

It would cost me $30 to get ID and I live at poverty level. How is that free?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:06 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Another right wing poster living in fantasy land.

Claims people illegally vote.

Post your objective sourcing that claims this happens in any significant manner?

Slowly......we are talking about "voter" fraud....not "voter registration" fraud.
Always with the insults because YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

Hint, genius, voter registration IS PART of voter fraud.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:12 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
"Fathom the Hypocrisy of a Government
That requires every citizen to prove
They are insured... But not everyone
Must prove they are a citizen."

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, they are and in every poll, voter Id wins out.

Obama, the dems, the Left are once again on the wrong side of the issue...for the simple reason they depend on vote fraud.
Funny thing, here in North Texas we have been asked to provide an ID every time we voted for over a decade now. I have no problem doing that.
As for voter fraud, judging by the GOP Primaries I would say it is the GOP that has that particular issue, so I if I were a Repub I would focus my attention on mown Party before calling out the other guys past transgressions.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
The new Rasmussen Report--very much like all the other ones they do--questioned a grand total of "1,000 likely voters." Not even 1,000 known voters. Just "likely" ones. And of that whopping number, 730 of them expressed a preference for ID at the polls.

Seven hundred and thirty people in a nation of more than 200 million. You are welcome to believe there's any validity in a poll result like that if you want to. It certainly provides fodder for...let's see...threads in the Politics & Other Controversies Forum.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You want the government to force people to purchase an ID, so they can vote
Today I heard Judge Napolitano say on Fox News that every one of our 50 states provide an ID card that is exactly what their Driver Licenses allow except they don't allow operation of motor cars. Can you list any of the states that don't do that? Please do if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies