Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So in other words...you can't defend or explain it. Ok, thanks for playing.
I've seen the guy post in other threads here. It seems for the social conservative types, they like to drop quick one liners. They typically either can't or don't have the ability to back up anything they say, so it's easier for them that way.

In terms of your point, you should maybe be advocating what Ronald Reagan thought. Capital gains should be taxed at the same rate as everything else.

Rich people have more money and influence than those who don't have as much money. That's why they can pay think tanks to come up with catch phrases like, "class warfare".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
It's not fair, but the reason is that the people making the big bucks get the law makers elected. Law makers represent the people that financed their campaigns, not you and me.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Because what you earn is directly correlated with how much of a Real American™ you are.

Remember Worthington's Law:

More Money=Better Than

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 AM

867 posts, read 498,204 times
Quote:
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?
It is quite evident that you either aren't paying attention or are trolling.

In case you don't know (I mean, really, don't know), your income is earned income, which is taxed at a higher rate than their income, which is from risky investments, which because of their risk, and to encourage investment, are taxed at a lower rate. Save your money, invest, and your profits too will be taxed at the lower rate - regardless of your income level.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 AM

867 posts, read 498,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I find it backwards that someone pushing $ around should get taxed less than someone who does real work. Both contribute to the economy, 1 actually produces real goods.

The incentive to invest should be sitting on your ass making money and getting taxed at the same rate.
Good thing you and your ilk don't make tax policy, because your ideas harm the economy.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Rich people have more money and influence than those who don't have as much money. That's why they can pay think tanks to come up with catch phrases like, "class warfare".
Who are the rich? The richest region in the nation is now centered around Washington DC.

Beltway Earnings Make U.S. Capital Richer Than Silicon Valley - Bloomberg

Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,765 times
It's all very simple.

Instead of sitting around in your or your mom's basement .. type whining<-(I JUST made that up! ) to folks on forums .. which then allows them to whine too .. GET RICH!

See how easy that is?

If a lot of folks would just invest the same amount of time to better their life's situation as they do in keyboard whining<--(I'm gonna patent that) .. Untold wealth is awaiting them!

Problem solved!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?
Because fairness is not a consistent term.

What is fair?

Everyone paying different tax rates relative to their incomes?
Everyone paying the same tax rate?
Everyone paying the same amount of tax in dollars disregardful of their income?

And how do you define (and supervise) someone's income?

What fairness is is entirely subjective and thus it is impossible to make the tax system fair. The only fair tax system would be NO tax system, but with everybody wanting something from everybody else that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Getting rid of the income tax would end the controvesary - but the liberals would have a temper tantrum if that happened - they couldn't demonize people for making more money than another and punishing them by raising tax rates.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 AM

161 posts, read 211,509 times
Quote:
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

Because they are the job makers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies