Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
actually I would prefer the federal goverment to have a lot more power because I live in NY and we have the worst state legislature in the country (one that makes Washington look good).
Federal government can trump states in many ways such as illegal immigration.

17 trillion American dollars have been wired to Mexico since 1996. That money is no longer circulating in OUR economy. States are going broke because of it.

Less money here means less money spent for buy goods and services which leads to unemployment.

Plus the hospitals are requiring more money for services because of illegals who cannot pay for services. That is why our health care costs are going through the roof.. the hospitals have to charge more for those who can pay .. the [B]insurance companies are charged more[/b] to pay for all that bad debt for services given and no payment for it.

People better wake up.

Can't anyone follow the dots and see the picture why our economy is getting trashed by all situations.

If Obama cared about the American people he would not take a hard line against the states and the Jews.

I remember when the PLO was looked at as the terrorists they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Federal government can trump states in many ways such as illegal immigration.

17 trillion American dollars have been wired to Mexico since 1996. That money is no longer circulating in OUR economy. States are going broke because of it.

Less money here means less money spent for buy goods and services which leads to unemployment.

Plus the hospitals are requiring more money for services because of illegals who cannot pay for services. That is why our health care costs are going through the roof.. the hospitals have to charge more for those who can pay .. the [B]insurance companies are charged more[/b] to pay for all that bad debt for services given and no payment for it.

People better wake up.

Can't anyone follow the dots and see the picture why our economy is getting trashed by all situations.

If Obama cared about the American people he would not take a hard line against the states and the Jews.

I agree that the fedral goverment can trump states in many ways that's said what I said. I prefer Washington to Albany because as bad as Washington is there better then Albany if Albany ever got a completely free hand NY would be devastated. That said if I moved to another state I would be anti federalist.

you're 100% right about this though
Quote:

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From a Talmudic perspective, a Jew, whether as observant as Rabbi Schneersohn (MHRIP) or completely secular, is equally a Jew. Nobody has a right to claim that one Jew is better than another Jew, and to do so is a religious offense.

Expanding that to claim that only Jews who vote a particular way are really Jews, is just moronic.
I have not read the whole thread. Did somebody say voting for Obama made a Jew non-Jewish? I suspect that wasn't said, but rather what was said is that voting for Obama is inconsistent with Jewish values. To be more accurate, it's inconsistent with Torah values.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I have not read the whole thread. Did somebody say voting for Obama made a Jew non-Jewish? I suspect that wasn't said, but rather what was said is that voting for Obama is inconsistent with Jewish values. To be more accurate, it's inconsistent with Torah values.
People on this thread have said that voting for Obama makes you anti-Israel whether you are Jewish or not. This is poppycock. Furthermore, the Torah is up for interpretation, and I would say that Democrats and their belief in social justice are much closer to the Torah values that I know and respect.

My husband and his liberal Israeli friends have put their lives on the line for Israel by being in the Israeli army. They all respect Obama, and my husband, who is also an American citizen will vote for Obama.

The people on this thread who have claimed that Obama is anti-Israel or anti-Torah are libeling the rest of us.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
you are the tremendously ignorant about past and present.

Judisim has always regard this as one of the 3 worst sins.

I just copied this (so you could look it up yourself) from somewhere so i'm not vouching that it's a good translation from the sefer hachenuch
Yet Israel has consistently been the most gay friendly nation in the Middle East. Israel was the first Middle Eastern country to allow gays into its military, the first Middle Eastern country to eliminate sodomy laws, and the first Middle Eastern country to give gays equal rights. Tel Aviv has the wildest gay scene in the world.

Quote:
how about this qoute from birashies Rabbah

god didn't cause the flood until man started writing marriage documents for other men.
So God caused the flood because of attorneys drawing up marriage documents? That's what it sounds like to me.

Quote:
Jews who follow Judisim have always been against that which the bible calls an abomination.
An abomination is an offense against religion.
Eating pork and shellfish is an abomination just as grave as homosexuality in the Bible ; should that also be banned?

Quote:
which is why many Jews refer to "gay marriage" as Toaivah (abomantion) Marriage.
Bigots like Satmar (who claim that homosexuality's widespread presence in Israel is why Israel has no legitimacy as a Jewish state and thus should not exist)

Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Yet Israel has consistently been the most gay friendly nation in the Middle East. Israel was the first Middle Eastern country to allow gays into its military, the first Middle Eastern country to eliminate sodomy laws, and the first Middle Eastern country to give gays equal rights. Tel Aviv has the wildest gay scene in the world.
let's take all the party's in Israel how many of those partys are pro gay marriage?
you do know that Tel Aviv is very unique in Israel and is about as representative of Israel as the Left Coast is of the US.

Quote:
So God caused the flood because of attorneys drawing up marriage documents? That's what it sounds like to me.
look it up bereishis Rabbah 26-9

Quote:
An abomination is an offense against religion.
Eating pork and shellfish is an abomination just as grave as homosexuality in the Bible ; should that also be banned?
1. the Torah only has a problem if JEWS eat not kosher.
2. there is no capital punishment for eating shellfish unlike homosexual relations.
3. around 80 (real) rabbis have signed that it's forbidden according to Jewish law to vote for Weprin, or Fidler.

Quote:
Bigots like Satmar (who claim that homosexuality's widespread presence in Israel is why Israel has no legitimacy as a Jewish state and thus should not exist)
1. Satmar is one of the least likely Orthodox groups to vote against a pro abomination marriage politician.
2. Satmar's reason for being anti Israel have nothing to do with gays and would be there just as strong if Israel had no gays.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
People on this thread have said that voting for Obama makes you anti-Israel whether you are Jewish or not. This is poppycock. Furthermore, the Torah is up for interpretation, and I would say that Democrats and their belief in social justice are much closer to the Torah values that I know and respect.

My husband and his liberal Israeli friends have put their lives on the line for Israel by being in the Israeli army. They all respect Obama, and my husband, who is also an American citizen will vote for Obama.

The people on this thread who have claimed that Obama is anti-Israel or anti-Torah are libeling the rest of us.
please try to interpret Birashies Rabbah 26-9 for me in a way that supports gay marriage.

it's very clear Judaism is against gay marriage with a passion.

twice in non legal statements does Jewish scriptures deal with gay marriage and both times it connects it with the destruction of the world

Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
let's take all the party's in Israel how many of those partys are pro gay marriage?
Labor, Kadima, Meretz, and some small parties.

Labor and Kadima are both major parties in Israel.

Quote:
you do know that Tel Aviv is very unique in Israel and is about as representative of Israel as the Left Coast is of the US.
Name one other Middle Eastern country that has a gay scene even anywhere as close to as wild and over the top as Tel Aviv's.

Tel Aviv's gay scene makes San Francisco's look tame.

Quote:
look it up bereishis Rabbah 26-9
Couldn't find it.

Quote:
1. the Torah only has a problem if JEWS eat not kosher.
2. there is no capital punishment for eating shellfish unlike homosexual relations.
3. around 80 (real) rabbis have signed that it's forbidden according to Jewish law to vote for Weprin, or Fidler.
It was my understanding from studying the Old Testament as a Christian that the punishment for all abominations was equal. They were similarly classed crimes.

The Torah applies exclusively to Jews across the board.

Have those same rabbis made any pronouncements about California politics? Or just New York politics?

I'm voting for Ron Paul in the primary ; have those rabbis declared that it's forbidden under Jewish law to vote for him? Not that it would stop me as I'm not Jewish. But how would those rabbis react to their flock voting for Dr. Paul?

Quote:
1. Satmar is one of the least likely Orthodox groups to vote against a pro abomination marriage politician.
2. Satmar's reason for being anti Israel have nothing to do with gays and would be there just as strong if Israel had no gays.
I am very well aware Satmar's anti-Zionism has nothing to do with gays but they are extremely, extremely homophobic.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
So your husband and his friends were fine when Obama redefined the debate between Israel and Hamas/PLO by declaring 1967 armistace lines as the starting point for discussions? Not to mention Obama supporting a total elimination of building in the West Bank as a pre-condition of talks. In both cases, he conceded fundamental negotiation points of the Israelis before a single discussion had been had.

This leads me to conclude that either 1) Obama has already sided with Hamas and the PLO before any negotitaions occur, or 2) he's just a plain idiot.

If Obama were a Jew, I would be inclined to be dan l'kaf zchus (give him the benefit of the doubt). But he comes from a Muslim lineage, his rhetoric is distinctly anti-Israel, and the rest of his policies (non-Israel) frighten me as a Torah abiding Jew. How am I to conclude with the info above that he's worthy of this Jew's vote in November?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
please try to interpret Birashies Rabbah 26-9 for me in a way that supports gay marriage.

it's very clear Judaism is against gay marriage with a passion.

twice in non legal statements does Jewish scriptures deal with gay marriage and both times it connects it with the destruction of the world
An Orthodox Rabbi writes:

"More analogous to the situation of the homosexual is the case recorded in the Talmud (b. Gittin 38a) of a woman who was a partial slave, forbidden to marry either another slave or a free man. Without a religiously acceptable outlet, the woman became exceedingly promiscuous with the local men, and the rabbis forced her master to free her fully so that she could marry. In discussing this case, R. Meshulam Roth (Qol Mevasser 1:25) observes that the woman’s hopeless situation was emotionally intolerable to her, and that her behavior in this case should be considered one of oness. If anything, the situation of Orthodox homosexual Jews who wish to follow halakha is even more intolerable. If they keep this halakha, they have no hope for a loving intimate partnership, ever."

Homosexuals in the Orthodox Community -by Rabbi Zev Farber « Morethodoxy: Exploring the Breadth, Depth and Passion of Orthodox Judaism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies