Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Population reduction is at the top of the agenda , any volunteers ?
Link? Surely, if it's at the very top of the liberal agenda, it must be in a manifesto or Mission Statement, somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My friend and I walk a couple miles a day. I never counted my stairs, I don't do them well since my hip surgery. What makes you think a person in the suburbs can't walk or climb stairs? Why are you making this so personal???

City vs. Country: Who Is Healthier? - WSJ.com
**In many measures, residents of suburban areas are the best off. They generally rate their own health the highest and have the fewest premature deaths than either their urban or rural counterparts. Suburbanites also have the fewest low-birth-weight babies, homicides and sexually transmitted diseases.
Well where one choices to live is purely subjective.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
There are very few cities in which schools have improved; toss in the hundreds of thousands of folks who've been leaving and continue to leave CA, IL, & NY over the past 10-20+ years among many liberal-created hellholes for thriving states such as TX, TN, OK and many others, and it's pretty obvious that the liberal obsession with dictating the lives of others while their states continue to lose residents and tax revenue, combined with plummeting quality-of-life rankings, is an ongoing disaster for them from coast to coast.

Putting the demands of environmentalists and civil service unions above everyone else while simultaneously telling EVERYBODY else that you're on your own is a very reprehensible way to turn your back on hundreds of millions of your fellow citizens, but that's the mindset of your typical progressive Democrat, encompassing everybody from Jerry Brown to Barack Obama and all of their disciples, their fellow one-percenters, at the expense of the other 99% of us.

Democrats don't care for the middle class and have no equals when it comes to killing jobs and entrepreneurism, and Obama's adaptation of Brown's super-liberal policies are irrefutable proof of that.

Compare the business climates, as well as prices for staples such as gasoline and housing costs, between Los Angeles & Dallas or Chicago & Nashville, and you'll see quite easily which states are thriving and which states are sinking under the weight of rampant overregulation and nonstop tax increases, which NEVER result in increases in revenue.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM

334 posts, read 451,156 times
I'd like to know where the OP is finding these "cheap" suburban houses, as far as city living goes, many like living in the city, they work in the city, everything they need is within walking distance or a short cab or bus ride, so they don't need a car.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
There are very few cities in which schools have improved; toss in the hundreds of thousands of folks who've been leaving and continue to leave CA, IL, & NY over the past 10-20+ years among many liberal-created hellholes for thriving states such as TX, TN, OK and many others
Which will change the politics of those states. Those states will rue the day they ever sought to attract Californians...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas.

First, I hope liberals realize those projects are extremely costly for someone to live there and second not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Telling people to not use cars is just not going to happen. Most of this nation is built around roadways and suburbanization. If people liked it back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s, and it still works for people then great!

Secondly, liberals always blame the rich and corporations for getting tax breaks. A democrat's definition of "rich" is way different than mine. If one person makes $100,000+ you are considered upper middle class and rich in my books. And not all corporations are evil. Given some are, but not all.

Anyways back to the main point. Too many liberal cities and towns are becoming too costly to live in. Colleges+lots hiking+lack of affordable housing=a place only meant for rich and liberals.

I would rather take a brand new sprawled out development with homes at affordable cost. I want a nice big beautiful house to have bbqs and my own space! God Bless the American dream!

This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day. So until then I'm going to live in a suburban, cheap home close to affordable and accessible big box centers and malls and large churches. Yes that's right! I said it! Get over it! I can't stand downtown shopping if there is a parking cost involved. And I am also not interested in the beauty of downtown developments or the liberal belief that cookie cutter homes are ugly. Because I think hills covered in homes are beautiful. It's peaceful and the sound of the freeway is relaxing!

Lastly, if tearing out nature for a new tax-generating business park or college or some sort of business comes up, please take your "save the environment" elsewhere. Europe perhaps?

In the mean time, please keep our liberal cities seperate from our conservative cities. Thanks!
First off I live in a college town, and we don't want sprawl and the traffic issues it creates. If you don't like it you don't need to live here or similar places. The town has basically decided it is going to grow up instead of out and basically to enforce this we won't run water and sewer out. I like there not being insane traffic and being able to walk places again if you don't like this as you have said there is lots of sprawl elsewhere. Go there and have fun. Don't tell me I need to **** up my town for your convenience.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 04-07-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,965 times
Quote:
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas.

First, I hope liberals realize those projects are extremely costly for someone to live there and second not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Telling people to not use cars is just not going to happen. Most of this nation is built around roadways and suburbanization. If people liked it back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s, and it still works for people then great!

Secondly, liberals always blame the rich and corporations for getting tax breaks. A democrat's definition of "rich" is way different than mine. If one person makes $100,000+ you are considered upper middle class and rich in my books. And not all corporations are evil. Given some are, but not all.

Anyways back to the main point. Too many liberal cities and towns are becoming too costly to live in. Colleges+lots hiking+lack of affordable housing=a place only meant for rich and liberals.

I would rather take a brand new sprawled out development with homes at affordable cost. I want a nice big beautiful house to have bbqs and my own space! God Bless the American dream!

This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day. So until then I'm going to live in a suburban, cheap home close to affordable and accessible big box centers and malls and large churches. Yes that's right! I said it! Get over it! I can't stand downtown shopping if there is a parking cost involved. And I am also not interested in the beauty of downtown developments or the liberal belief that cookie cutter homes are ugly. Because I think hills covered in homes are beautiful. It's peaceful and the sound of the freeway is relaxing!

Lastly, if tearing out nature for a new tax-generating business park or college or some sort of business comes up, please take your "save the environment" elsewhere. Europe perhaps?

In the mean time, please keep our liberal cities seperate from our conservative cities. Thanks!
In translation:

Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
There are very few cities in which schools have improved; toss in the hundreds of thousands of folks who've been leaving and continue to leave CA, IL, & NY over the past 10-20+ years among many liberal-created hellholes for thriving states such as TX, TN, OK and many others, and it's pretty obvious that the liberal obsession with dictating the lives of others while their states continue to lose residents and tax revenue, combined with plummeting quality-of-life rankings, is an ongoing disaster for them from coast to coast.
Wow! Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Memphis

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
Quote:

This is hilarious considering I had this same mindset for a while, excluding the large church part. When I lived in Raleigh, NC we had plenty of cities that resemble what you describe with plenty of new strip shopping centers (including one town of like 15k with two Wal-Marts), new homes all over the place, new freeway construction, and the whole 9 but eventually that suburban lifestyle grew tiring and while I'd live in Raleigh again, I'm content with living a urban environment.

But aside from that, liberal cities can sprawl just as conservative cities can be denser. You have to remember, for decades on in its been hot to live in the suburbs but over the last decade or so things have turned around and now the city is hot again mostly because of convenience. Just as you like I drive to a store, I like to walk to a store.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
The OP has the cart before the horse. The reason desirable cities are expensive is because so many people want to live there and that is what is driving density in development not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies