Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

I didn't like what cities were turning into so I went rural.
Happy as a pig rolling around in mud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Sorry to say it's happening and I will soon purchase my suburban house to continue the 60s dream. '

If we could only have the 60s development again....

And boy I can't believe how political this post got...

As far as I can see though, conservative areas have more sprawl development where as more liberal areas have more new urbanism and urban developments and also no growth.

I'll never live in an urban area. The burbs for life! Watch what happens when the urban developments get government run like in China. The government turns people into drones.
Everyone is different. In my younger days, I would have loved nothing more than to have a condo smack dab in the middle of some big city.

A kid, two dogs, and a few houses later - I would find that lifestyle more difficult.

My son - almost 18 - loooves big cities and wants to live in one. I expect that will last until he starts a family of his own. Isn't that how lots of us ended up in the Burbs? A yard for the kid to play in and a yard for the dog to run in? A place to grill out and entertain?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^Yeppers! We lived in "the city" for the first two years of our marriage. Then we decided to buy a house, and found that these cutesy houses in the city hadn't been upgraded in years, if at all. We found a new house in the burbs, a neat burb that is an old coal mining town.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Sorry to say it's happening and I will soon purchase my suburban house to continue the 60s dream. '

And boy I can't believe how political this post got...

As far as I can see though, conservative areas have more sprawl development where as more liberal areas have more new urbanism and urban developments and also no growth.

I'll never live in an urban area. The burbs for life! Watch what happens when the urban developments get government run like in China. The government turns people into drones.
For some the suburbs are the best, others it is urban areas. The rest of what you are saying is flawed. You want to return to the era of highways expanding across the country and cutting neighborhoods up poorly?

Also, in case you have missed it, the suburbs are the ones that suffered the foreclosures the most, and as for urban areas not seeing new development, come to NYC and you will see an urban city that is continually expanding and growing.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:

Why the '60s? Why not before World War II?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Why the '60s? Why not before World War II?
post-ww2 suburbs r nice. even going back to the 90s suburban development would be nice.

pre-ww2 suburbs were more urbanized with the street car suburbs.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
post-ww2 suburbs r nice. even going back to the 90s suburban development would be nice.

So you like the suburbs, good for you, lots of people like the suburbs which is why lots of people live in them.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:

Pre-WW2 suburbs were much nicer than postwar suburbs. That is why they continue to be desirable places and have held up better than the postwar suburbs as a whole. "Streetcar suburbia" offers the best of both worlds.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,772,071 times
Quote:
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas.

First, I hope liberals realize those projects are extremely costly for someone to live there and second not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Telling people to not use cars is just not going to happen. Most of this nation is built around roadways and suburbanization. If people liked it back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s, and it still works for people then great!

Secondly, liberals always blame the rich and corporations for getting tax breaks. A democrat's definition of "rich" is way different than mine. If one person makes $100,000+ you are considered upper middle class and rich in my books. And not all corporations are evil. Given some are, but not all.

Anyways back to the main point. Too many liberal cities and towns are becoming too costly to live in. Colleges+lots hiking+lack of affordable housing=a place only meant for rich and liberals.

I would rather take a brand new sprawled out development with homes at affordable cost. I want a nice big beautiful house to have bbqs and my own space! God Bless the American dream!

This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day. So until then I'm going to live in a suburban, cheap home close to affordable and accessible big box centers and malls and large churches. Yes that's right! I said it! Get over it! I can't stand downtown shopping if there is a parking cost involved. And I am also not interested in the beauty of downtown developments or the liberal belief that cookie cutter homes are ugly. Because I think hills covered in homes are beautiful. It's peaceful and the sound of the freeway is relaxing!

Lastly, if tearing out nature for a new tax-generating business park or college or some sort of business comes up, please take your "save the environment" elsewhere. Europe perhaps?

In the mean time, please keep our liberal cities seperate from our conservative cities. Thanks!
This is like a Billy Madison Contest Moment isn't it?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pre-WW2 suburbs were much nicer than postwar suburbs. That is why they continue to be desirable places and have held up better than the postwar suburbs as a whole. "Streetcar suburbia" offers the best of both worlds.
These are the urban neighborhoods I plan on raising a child in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies