Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
It's really not a great practice to start a sentence with and. You also listed second, about 5 times. You might want to be less worried about housing and more about grammar.

Your posts is also filled with a bunch of random thoughts that have nothing to do with the topic. What does the environmental impact of starting a college, be it rural, urban or in between, have to do with the 'new urbanism'?

To your point, don't like urban housing developments? Don't buy one. Why are you whining about them? People probably make cars, food, art, clothes, etc, that you don't like. Should we start hearing about that all in another post tomorrow?

You noted that, "I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas." Where's your proof of this? Are you telling me that there's no sprawl in California? I've driven all over the state. I mean all over it. There's a ton of sprawl. Your post seems to accuse city planners of preventing this.

Good for you, you want to live in suburbia. There's a ton of that in California. While you're sitting in your car, I'll be actually BBQing and while you're wasting time on your lawn on the weekend I'll be getting drunk with some human scenery around me.

I get it, your emotions tell you that you're conservative and you want to write something to make yourself feel better and whine about liberals. Perhaps you can have some coherent point to your writing in the future.

see, when liberals have no thought about an argument, or know that they are wrong, they will comment that your grammer is bad or some other nonsense. goes to show that they dont know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, yeah, we should all have money to fly to different areas. Kind of expensive for a family of four, though. I'm getting to be afraid to be on the road with these people who only drive once in a blue moon! They're dangerous!
Meh, no more dangerous than people who are always on the road. Where one wants to live is purely subjective, you might think traveling with a family is expensive, while I think owning a car, paying for insurance, paying for gas, and maintaining the car becomes expensive, not including the actually buying a car which in itself is expensive.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Cities are actually very efficient. If humans want to run around with billions of people, then we at least have to concentrate ourselves into cities. Plus, people in cities are generally healthier than their suburban counterparts. And, for the record, 100K is far from "rich", depending on where your live.
That is totally untrue. In general, suburbanites are healthier. I have posted links to this before. I'm not slogging through google to do it again.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
That is totally untrue. In general, suburbanites are healthier. I have posted links to this before. I'm not slogging through google to do it again.
How many miles a day do you walk? How many stairs do you climb every day?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
The liberals are taking lead from NATO agenda 21 .
Research it and studdy it well, because that is the direction they are heading us all.
Population reduction is at the top of the agenda , any volunteers ?
The elete have more right than you do , deal with it. you voted them there.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The liberals are taking lead from NATO agenda 21 .
Research it and studdy it well, because that is the direction they are heading us all.
Population reduction is at the top of the agenda , any volunteers ?
The elite have more right than you do , deal with it. you voted them there.

urban areas and cities shall fall long before rural areas do. we in the rural areas can self support ourselves better than those in cities can.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How many miles a day do you walk? How many stairs do you climb every day?
My friend and I walk a couple miles a day. I never counted my stairs, I don't do them well since my hip surgery. What makes you think a person in the suburbs can't walk or climb stairs? Why are you making this so personal???

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...652581806.html
**In many measures, residents of suburban areas are the best off. They generally rate their own health the highest and have the fewest premature deaths than either their urban or rural counterparts. Suburbanites also have the fewest low-birth-weight babies, homicides and sexually transmitted diseases.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,228,286 times
Quote:
My friend and I walk a couple miles a day. I never counted my stairs, I don't do them well since my hip surgery. What makes you think a person in the suburbs can't walk or climb stairs? Why are you making this so personal???
You are correct.

I have spent most of my life living in huge cities. While living in European cities, I certainly walked a lot. However, once I moved to the US, city life did NOT entail a whole lot of walking or climbing stairs unless I deliberately made it so. The only exception was NYC where I walked more than anywhere else. The majority of US cities are NOT walker or bike friendly - they are car friendly.

As life would sometimes have it, I currently live in the suburbs and I do get even more exercise than I did in NYC. The reasons are quite simple: I have easy access to nature and thus, get out a whole lot. In fact, I get out so much that I now ride my bike roughly 20 miles a day through the woods that surround my little suburb.

While I did ride my bike in NYC, it was certainly a much more disrupted (and dangerous) undertaking.

I will say that there aren't too many stairs here - but that has not had a detrimental effect on my physical well-being.

In fact, I would happily state that I am in better physical health than I was years ago before moving to a suburb.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,861,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Everyone is different. In my younger days, I would have loved nothing more than to have a condo smack dab in the middle of some big city.

A kid, two dogs, and a few houses later - I would find that lifestyle more difficult.

My son - almost 18 - loooves big cities and wants to live in one. I expect that will last until he starts a family of his own. Isn't that how lots of us ended up in the Burbs? A yard for the kid to play in and a yard for the dog to run in? A place to grill out and entertain?
That trend has started to change , now people are staying in the cities and raising there kids , they usually move to the more Suburban parts of the City but they stay in the city. Now that Schools are improving in some cities and cities in general are improving and catering to every walk of life I don't see that trend slowing down. Theres also the shrinking birth rate....which means less people are even have children usually due to College debt. COL in some Suburbs is more then the Cities which doesn't make people want to leave the city , there's also isolation factor that is scaring people from the Suburbs. People want to Network and meet new people more easily. Thats not to say the Suburbs are completely dead , for the first time in decades the Inner Ring Northeastern Suburbs outpace the Ex-Urb Suburbs or the auto suburbs which are now dying. The Transit Suburbs are now growing as fast as the cities in certain regions I don't see that trend ending either.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That trend has started to change , now people are staying in the cities and raising there kids , they usually move to the more Suburban parts of the City but they stay in the city. Now that Schools are improving in some cities and cities in general are improving and catering to every walk of life I don't see that trend slowing down. Theres also the shrinking birth rate....which means less people are even have children usually due to College debt. COL in some Suburbs is more then the Cities which doesn't make people want to leave the city , there's also isolation factor that is scaring people from the Suburbs. People want to Network and meet new people more easily. Thats not to say the Suburbs are completely dead , for the first time in decades the Inner Ring Northeastern Suburbs outpace the Ex-Urb Suburbs or the auto suburbs which are now dying. The Transit Suburbs are now growing as fast as the cities in certain regions I don't see that trend ending either.
People keep saying that, but the numbers don't bear it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies