Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times

Advertisements

I am generally conservative but this is one of the things I think liberals are mostly right about. I am SICK SICK SICK of having very few or no alternatives to a car oriented suburban lifestyle. I am not knocking suburbs per se. But why is it that EVERY large metro area in America offers decent suburban lifestyle options, but only a few overpriced cities offer decent urban living options. It's ridiculous. I thought America was supposed to be about choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,972,464 times
"Liberal belief" of new urbanism?

My BS sensors are going crazy!

It's all economics, bud. Your state has what, 35 million people? Yeah, they're going to be living in high rises and in close quarters in places. BFD!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Look at the Bay Area. And what's happened there. There are desirable places in California where people want to live, but can't because all the new development is in downtown or urban areas.

We need to stop building inward and built outward. Too many people are trying to stop growth in California. Too many taxes and regulations on housing developers and businesses to build.

There is a local suburban development having a hard time in my area because they gave them hell about protecting local hills.

And yes, I'm a city boy and I like the city, I just don't like downtown growth. Orange County - that's how new developments should look like.
California doesn't build enough housing, urban or suburban. End of story. I am glad, though, that it doesn't all look like Orange County. Uggh.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Prices are high because people want to live here, it's really that simple. I'm completely priced out of the area and will be moving soon but that doesn't mean I want to see the area I live in turned into a giant sprawling suburb just so I can have a house here... I'm not that selfish.
But herein lies the rub. Because of the tight restrictions on development, there is limited supply while there's high demand, which prices people like yourself out of the area. I know it's a difficult balance, but I think some concessions to development need to be made in Coastal California areas. That doesn't mean it all has to be suburban sprawl-ish. Maybe there need to be more well planned apartments, condos and townhouses closer to the centers of towns. I also think there needs to be more emphasis on QUALITY. Quality construction and quality architecture. It's gotten so that only the upper middle class can afford to live in Coastal CA (and at that, they have to make serious concessions in regard to housing). The lack of affordable housing in CA is hurting its economy.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Correction. Because it is what SOME people want.

Millions of us would much prefer to live somewhere other than a congested downtown where we can enjoy our space.
And unfortunately, America has done a rotten job over the last 60 years of providing viable alternatives to suburban/rural living. Finally, the pendulum is starting to swing the other way.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
16,000 ppm of what molecule?

ppl i think

Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
To add to the confusion he calls himself city boy. But says he hates city life. wtf?

He may have some sort of bipolar condition.
I think you're onto something there.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,595,403 times
Quote:
I think city planners and liberals, especially here in California, are pushing to stick people in dense housing developments or multi-residential units in urban areas.

First, I hope liberals realize those projects are extremely costly for someone to live there and second not everyone wants to live in an urban environment. Telling people to not use cars is just not going to happen. Most of this nation is built around roadways and suburbanization. If people liked it back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, early 2000s, and it still works for people then great!

Secondly, liberals always blame the rich and corporations for getting tax breaks. A democrat's definition of "rich" is way different than mine. If one person makes $100,000+ you are considered upper middle class and rich in my books. And not all corporations are evil. Given some are, but not all.

Anyways back to the main point. Too many liberal cities and towns are becoming too costly to live in. Colleges+lots hiking+lack of affordable housing=a place only meant for rich and liberals.

I would rather take a brand new sprawled out development with homes at affordable cost. I want a nice big beautiful house to have bbqs and my own space! God Bless the American dream!

This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day. So until then I'm going to live in a suburban, cheap home close to affordable and accessible big box centers and malls and large churches. Yes that's right! I said it! Get over it! I can't stand downtown shopping if there is a parking cost involved. And I am also not interested in the beauty of downtown developments or the liberal belief that cookie cutter homes are ugly. Because I think hills covered in homes are beautiful. It's peaceful and the sound of the freeway is relaxing!

Lastly, if tearing out nature for a new tax-generating business park or college or some sort of business comes up, please take your "save the environment" elsewhere. Europe perhaps?

In the mean time, please keep our liberal cities seperate from our conservative cities. Thanks!
Are you a troll?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think there is going to be another age of enlightenment in the future. I think birth rates will drop drastically and the US population will settle at around 200 million. Most people will return to smaller towns and rural living. People will work at home mostly. People will live closer to the farms where their food is grown and they will have less stress.
Birth rates are below replacement rate in the US, when you take out all the illegal Mexican immigrants having kids. There is no overpopulation crisis in the US, but the Progressives want more and more foreigners living here who have 6-10 kids per family and can't afford to have them.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,625,312 times
Quote:
This environment damage information - no one cares. I am a Bible believer, and this Earth is going up in flames one day. So until then I'm going to live in a suburban, cheap home close to affordable and accessible big box centers and malls and large churches. Yes that's right! I said it!
This made me laugh! I love when people validate their own stereotypes.

anyway, i'm thinking you would like living in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies