Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
ok, so lets assume that the intent of the program is what you say. There's 1 big problem, that is Dan Savage promotes the program by going right for the jugular against christians who are actually there to listen to an anti-bully speech. How many of those people did he win over? Did he successfully accomplish anything positive for the it gets better? He obviously had other priorities.
As I mentioned, I think his choice of words for a teen audience was poor. I think there are ways to call out the hypocrisy of a subset of people who, as he mentions in the video, choose to literally interpret certain passages of the Bible but not literally interpret others and use the selectively literal reading as reason to bully LGBT folks, in a way that doesn't alienate all Christians. Does that make sense? I also think that there is a whole lot of smoke where there isn't too much fire in terms of the response from a few groups/media sources.

I honestly couldn't tell you if the function of his presenting at the journalism conference was to drum up support for It Gets Better Project - I would think he was there because he is an advice columnist who deals with controversial topics, but I could be wrong. I also can't tell you what he was thinking and he seems to have not yet issued any kind of a statement about it. While I think it's not prudent to alienate people from one's cause, whatever that cause may be, the crowd was estimated at about 3000, yes? And about 100 students were offended and left? That still leaves a wide majority who did listen to his presentation, regardless of whether they agreed with that piece or not. Up thread there was a link that quoted another Christian student who was not offended by the remarks and did not leave, which makes me wonder a bit if the media is making it seem like he was attacking all Christians, rather than one particular practice that some Christians engage in (I.e., selective literal interpretation with the intent of justifying bullying).

I think it is unfortunate that he chose his words in a way that they could be interpreted as "he's a bully, too." I also couldn't tell you if the current media attention is alienating people who would otherwise have supported/did support IT Gets Better Project or drawing more people who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:19 PM

14,149 posts, read 15,210,190 times
During translation (King John Version) marriage became a sacrament and Homosexuality became a taboo, before that it was all about God.

And on Christain Bullying, if there are 1.6 billion christains, there a bound to be some bad apples

Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,234,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I find marrying of homosexuals to be an extremely dishonest and manipulative attempt to normalize unnatural sex acts.

Furthermore, I see the anti-bullying movement as being largely a ruse designed to gain access to children for the purpose of subjecting them to homosexual propaganda.

See how that works?
Yes, it's your opinion. Fine, as long as you don't demand that everyone accept the christian mythology as fact.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM

30,457 posts, read 52,171,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Soothsayer...literally means truth sayer..It is very difficult..to unearth the truth...and most live in a fantastic comfort zone.."Do not throw pearls (truth) before swine..for they will hate you - trample over the pearls and attempt to rip you apart like crazed dogs"- to para phrase.

The reason I dared to post such a thing was due to what I noticed about a tenant under my apartment..He is a business man...they renovated the shop and now it is some classy looking place...He seems to think that I should not even be in the same building- even though I was there first.

He states the only thing that he cares about are his dog....his "partner" and that is it...He dislikes children...does not like mothers or woman...and for no reason he hates me with a passion...I never have had cross words with him...or argued....I simply go there to get my mail..My family drop by and we are all musicians - we make a bit of noise and he complains...even after my son moved out..and the noise was almost non-existent he still complains.

He has sent nasty letters to my landlord who is Jewish....insisting he evict me....he is also an anti-semite...a vegan and gay...He hates me because I can look right through him and know...what he is...a common hater and a superfical jerk...I will never give him the satisfaction of a conflict...I remain polite...and courteous..but that is not enough...the man is simply a creep..gay or not...is not the issue...All I EXPECT is kindness to be returned for kindness...but because of the political atmosphere in Toronto...He believes being gay is being the dominant class..That he has political clout and all he has to do is say "He is a homophobe"....and he wins his stupid game.
So what's your point? That some gay people are jerks? I know lots of straight jerks too.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Ok, but his non-actions imply that he condones and/or endorses that foolery. Either way, staying totally silent isn't the best response.
Huh?? I doubt he even knows about this speech, given that he's busy running an entire country... does he comment on every speech, news article, public comment, etc? The man has bigger things to worry about right now, and his "silence" over some high school assembly means absolutely nothing. Or do you assume he supports white supremacy, just because he doesn't make a public declaration whenever the Aryan Nation has a meeting?

Old 04-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Does the Bible condone or condemn homosexuality?

There's your answer.
It does neither, since AGAIN there is no word for homosexuality in Hebrew - and most of the passages you guys use to justify your hate are misunderstood, mistranslated, and/or completely distorted. Now please stop butchering the text my people came up with first, mkay?

There's your answer, LOL.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM

P.S. If you guys wanna preach about the Bible, I suggest you head over to the Religion forum... this forum is for politics & social controversies, not Bible study.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. If you guys wanna preach about the Bible, I suggest you head over to the Religion forum... this forum is for politics & social controversies, not Bible study.
You bigot! You persecutor of Christians!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Okay... then will you please stop wearing wedding bands, showing off photos of your children, referring to your boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses/etc? Because those are about equivalent to the level of which most homosexuals "flaunt" their sexual behavior"

Not interested in normalizing homosexuality?

Your previous statement contradicts you.
How is my support of homosexuals attempting to "normalize" anything? Read my posts again, as they're only about my support of their being treated fairly - says nothing about making you accept them as normal, in fact I even said earlier it's a natural abnormality. Do you know the difference between the words natural and normal?

You also don't seem to understand what I meant by "I have no stake in the matter," so I'll explain. That only means it doesn't personally affect me if you accept them or not, as I am not gay myself... I am only a supporter of their equal rights, and defending their right to live without fear and bigotry.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,809,450 times
Can we finally put to rest the canard that the left is tolerant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies